Morrissey's song about the Manchester Arena bombing - feelings, thoughts, expectations?

Mike Rourke

A few simple thoughts from me:
  • I'm glad he's written a song about it. It's odd how no-one really writes songs about massive modern-day events like this that affect millions of people.
  • It seems fitting that he should write about it - it happened in his home town, on his birthday, and at a venue he's performed at several times.
  • I'm intrigued to know what angle he's taken for the song. I'm guessing it's probably not an empathy song like NF Disco where he tries to understand the motivation but perhaps that will feature to some extent.
  • I wonder if he'll take the perspective of a parent of one of the victims as he did (a little) with Suffer Little Children
  • He made a bit of a mess of the song, I Bury the Living, about a (very vaguely) similar theme - some pretty good bits but some really muddled thinking. I'm a bit worried he'll do the same here.
  • I wish the album wasn't named after the song. Knowing what we do about the songs, it doesn't seem relevant to the rest of the album, and may look like he's just going for the publicity.

Last edited:
I wonder how long after the event he wrote the words.

And why is Iggy singing so ghoulishly on it !?
Have you - or anyone outside of team Moz - heard it?

If it was not a joke, this question suggests itself. Yes.
Come to think of it, Moz might have mentioned something like that in the interview with Sam.

I thought It was said he was on the rebels song, iggy. I don’t know what he’ll say about the bombing but I’m at the very least glad he not avoiding it. So many popular songs today are way to gauge and abstract lyrically

Have you - or anyone outside of team Moz - heard it?
If it was not a joke, this question suggests itself. Yes.

a wee joke :blushing:

It wasn’t mentioned in the interview which song Iggy sings on. Some were making the guess that he sings on ‘Rebels’ simply because Morrissey sings about or mentions some punk bands in the song, that we assume are or were under appreciated rebels. So in that case, it does seem like a likely candidate for Iggy to sing on.

back to the topic ...,

“SAM:
'Bonfire of Teenagers' the track is magnificent, but you must be expecting some manufactured paranoia … the usual 'you can't sing about THAT' pearl fumblers.

M:
… because?

SAM:
It's about the Manchester Arena Bombing.

M:
It's about the kids who were murdered, yes. We are not encouraged to look beneath the surface because it's dark and hidden. But the song is anti-terror, and anyone who finds that offensive can only be devoid of personal morality. As your brother once said to me, the Manchester Arena Bombing was Britain's 9/11. We should appreciate anyone who asks questions.”

SAM:
“I can't believe we've come this far in our talk without mentioning your new album Bonfire Of Teenagers. It's your most elegant and uplifting album. It doesn't sound like another step in the same direction.”

I just can’t wait to here it !

it might be about how he felt on the actual night,be interesting to know if he was in manchester that very night.it will be thoughtful,usual bedwetters will be howling at the moon.

it might be about how he felt on the actual night,be interesting to know if he was in manchester that very night.it will be thoughtful,usual bedwetters will be howling at the moon.
Morrissey hasn’t written a “thoughtful” lyric in over a decade, but fingers crossed. I’m sure the song will be as subtle as a billboard advertisement.

Morrissey hasn’t written a “thoughtful” lyric in over a decade,

Your heart must have become stone then. Is it age?

but fingers crossed.

First you called the album Bonfire shit, before even hearing it, and now your fingers are crossed and you’re hoping for something good!? Lol.

I’m sure the song will be as subtle as a billboard advertisement.

Now that’s more like you ! :thumb:

Morrissey hasn’t written a “thoughtful” lyric in over a decade, but fingers crossed. I’m sure the song will be as subtle as a billboard advertisement.
Oh, come on. Now you’re just being obtuse and/or obstinate. I’m not the biggest post Refusal advocate ever, but there is no denying that he’s written plenty of fine songs/lyrics since then. If we would focus just on lyrics, I’d nominate:

• Smiler With Knife (“Time has frittered long and slow/All I am and was will go/But where to and why now?/When my last breath falls away/Smiler, trust me when I say: "You'll be okay"/"You'll be okay"

• Home Is a Question Mark (“Home, is it just a word?/Or is it something you carry within you?

• Once I Saw the River Clean (“I walked with my grandmother/Cornbrook Street, where incomplete/She would never be again/A Dublin dancer, free and young”)

Oh, come on. Now you’re just being obtuse and/or obstinate. I’m not the biggest post Refusal advocate ever, but there is no denying that he’s written plenty of fine songs/lyrics since then. If we would focus just on lyrics, I’d nominate:

• Smiler With Knife (“Time has frittered long and slow/All I am and was will go/But where to and why now?/When my last breath falls away/Smiler, trust me when I say: "You'll be okay"/"You'll be okay"

• Home Is a Question Mark (“Home, is it just a word?/Or is it something you carry within you?

• Once I Saw the River Clean (“I walked with my grandmother/Cornbrook Street, where incomplete/She would never be again/A Dublin dancer, free and young”)
I should clarify that I was speaking specifically about his lyrics regarding politics and current events, nevertheless these don't do anything for me at all. The "Home is a Question Mark" lyric in particular is about as insightful as a Hallmark card and sullies an otherwise decent song. The other two are just whatever, nothing special.

I should clarify that I was speaking specifically about his lyrics regarding politics and current events, nevertheless these don't do anything for me at all. The "Home is a Question Mark" lyric in particular is about as insightful as a Hallmark card and sullies an otherwise decent song. The other two are just whatever, nothing special.
I totally agree regarding his, shall we say, social commentary. But I must say, I’m quite surprised by your reaction to these lyrics. A part of me thinks that you dislike them/feel indifference towards them because they were written by a Morrissey that you don’t really care for and have a hard time relating to. Had they been written pre 2006, I think you might have liked them more. Am I completely wrong?

I totally agree regarding his, shall we say, social commentary. But I must say, I’m quite surprised by your reaction to these lyrics. A part of me thinks that you dislike them/feel indifference towards them because they were written by a Morrissey that you don’t really care for and have a hard time relating to. Had they been written pre 2006, I think you might have liked them more. Am I completely wrong?
I suppose I just don't find them very distinct, though I appreciate the sentimentality and enjoy when he leans in a more emotional direction with his poetry. "Mountjoy" is probably my favorite song of his post-Ringleader, for what it's worth.

o_O

Salsa how can the lyrics 'sully' an otherwise decent songs, when decent songs already have lyrics?
the decent lyrics and the sullied lyrics are the same lyrics????:mad:
or maybe there is some trolling going on here FFS wake up:hammer:

shut up ya dung heap,biggest roaster on this site,morrissey is the rip roaring, free scoring, never boring gift that keeps on giving and you cant get enough of him.

o_O

Salsa how can the lyrics 'sully' an otherwise decent songs, when decent songs already have lyrics?
the decent lyrics and the sullied lyrics are the same lyrics????:mad:
or maybe there is some trolling going on here FFS wake up:hammer:
Can you read? Who mentioned anything about sullying songs or decent lyrics?

Back
Top Bottom