Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't think it's a massive breach of the Human Rights Act, but the concept is a little too Orwellian for my liking, especially when considered alongside the other 'powers' being handed to the police in the name of "law enforcement."

Coiff.

they just spray the shit out of the area around here,frankly i would think this would be a lot safer and less scary than them spraying chemicals everywhere.

maybe I would agree about human rights abuse etc etc.
However, where I previously lived, we were plagued for about 3-4 years from a gang of lads aged 14 - 17 who every night congregated outside our house and in the alleyway next to it, drug taking, dealing, drinking alcohol, kicking a football, pissing in the alleyway. Every night from 6pm - midnight.
It took the errection of alley gates to flush them away as they had nowhere to hide.
In the meantime, for those long 3-4 years, whose human rights was being abused? Certainly not theirs..... so if these high pitched tunes moved them on....... could they really claim they had ''the right'' to drink alcohol under age, deal and smoke illegal drugs outside my house and piss in my alleyway and this ''right'' had been taken away from them?

Jukebox Jury

so if these high pitched tunes moved them on....... could they really claim they had ''the right'' to drink alcohol under age, deal and smoke illegal drugs outside my house and piss in my alleyway and this ''right'' had been taken away from them?

Jukebox Jury

i think they would still have been subjected to this device even if they hadn't been drinking underage, dealing/using drugs or pissing in your(?) alleyway.

Last edited:
I was never one for hanging around outside shops, so it wouldn't affect me personally (except for when i might actualy want to buy something). I totally understand why people would want to install them. If they are going to the trouble of having one installed, then they are obviously having considerable trouble, and who can blame them for wanting to stop it? Its a shame that innocent young people will be affected, but its for the overall good. I think most shops in high-population places have at least some teenagers (or even a lot younger kids) hanging around, fighting, swearing, burning bins ( :rolleyes: ), and just generally being a nuisance.
I wonder how much these things cost. And whether they are the same as the alarm someone near me has installed to scare cats away (which also seems to only be heard by 'us' young 'uns - if i can still call myself that at 23). That cat alarm is very annoying, really goes right through you. It would discourage me from loitering, if i ever got the urge.

Thankfully I've never come across them. I don't like the Daily Mail/News of the World/other prejudist newspaper-ist idea that 99.9% of young people are scum who should be treated like vermin, because the actual percentage isn't nearly that high (I'd say about 35-45% in my area). I think that punishing the innocent is just going to embitter them and turn them against the system, which would result in more unruly behaviour and civil disobedience so I think it is a bad idea in the long term.

Last edited:
I remember reading that the daughter of the guy who invented this turned the tables on her dad by using making a ringtone out of that super-high frequency--so that she & her friends could call each other during classes without the teacher hearing the ring. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

What do people think of these? They're starting to pop up quite a bit now. Do you see this as discrimination/human rights abuse, or do you support them?

I just read about the device a moment ago on the Wiki page, so admittedly there's a lot I don't know, but so far I'm thoroughly disgusted. It's wrong on almost every conceivable level, and one step closer to having our society restructured as a giant penal institution.

It says a lot about our civilization that in all the decades youth gangs have been a problem the one solution we've come up with is a high-frequency mosquito signal. I don't know why, but this reminds me of Ronald Reagan's infamous Star Wars initiative. We're looking at these problems ass-backward.

It says a lot about our civilization that in all the decades youth gangs have been a problem the one solution we've come up with is a high-frequency mosquito signal.

c'mon, they could be broadcasting 'ringleader of the tormentors' on a continuous loop!

c'mon, they could be broadcasting 'ringleader of the tormentors' on a continuous loop!

There's a supermarket nearby to me that has decided to play classical music in a loop to keep gangs away. :rolleyes: Better than the Mosquito Alarm, though.

I remember reading that the daughter of the guy who invented this turned the tables on her dad by using making a ringtone out of that super-high frequency--so that she & her friends could call each other during classes without the teacher hearing the ring. :D

Kids are so smart these days, aren't they?

"Hey dog, what's up? You goin' to the movies after school?"

"Ahem! Joseph. Why are you talking on the phone in my class?"

"I ain't talking on the phone, Mrs. Watson. Didjoo hear a phone ring? Naawww".

I have been searching all over eBay and I cannot find one.

I thought this thread was about things like this:

http://www.mosquitocontroltrap.com/
Our Blue Rhino SkeeterVac Mosquito Trap attracts mosquitoes like a magnet using a combination of CO2, heat, Octenol, vacuum, light and a special Flight GuideTM to catch and kill mosquitoes. The new 2008 SV-5100 SkeeterVac eliminates mosquitoes, biting flies, no-see-ums and other biting insects ranging over one acre without the need for harmful sprays or foggers. The SkeeterVac is truly a "best of breed" mosquito trap and represents the best value on the market today. It will meet your demands ranging from home to commercial applications. See the full details of the revolutionary new Skeetervac Mosquito trap.
Don't let mosquitos keep you locked inside. Our SkeeterVac Mosquito Exterminator will help you rid your life of pesky mosquitos that pose serious health risks and keep you from enjoying the great outdoors. The West Nile Virus has many concerned for their family's health. By reducing the mosquito population, you can do your part to help in the battle against this deadly disease.

Back
Top Bottom