MTV’s 120 Minutes

So, MTV’s 120 Minutes is something that I continue to cling to in my middle aged-madness as it were! Music remains as my life force and I remember the days of 120 Minutes quite fondly…including the loveable old curmudgeon himself, Dave Kendall! Back in the day, in my high school and college years, I didn’t have the money to record every episode on the finest VHS tape or in the highest quality recording option. Instead, I generally recorded in EP mode (lowest quality) and subsequently would record over videos I didn’t care for when the next week’s episode came on. Therefore, I am left with lots of tapes of cool videos…but no complete episodes. Older me not happy with younger me…can you relate? Nevertheless, I have acquired a number of complete episodes over the years…also have several complete episodes of The Alternative from VH1 Classic that I personally recorded…and I have to believe that there are at least a few people out there who recorded some complete episodes, or have acquired some complete episodes in some manner? Maybe you have a box of old VHS tapes where you recorded 120, just sitting in a closet or an attic and you can’t be bothered. Don’t have the time or the equipment/programs etc to convert to dvd and/or digital mp4 etc. If you happen to be one of these people who has VHS tapes of old 120 Minutes (specifically I am most interested in those episodes from 86-92), I would be more than happy to convert your old VHS tapes into dvd/MP4 and send them back to you along with the converted copies. If anyone out there has such a collection collecting dust somewhere who is willing to send to me to convert I would be most grateful…or if you have a bunch of episodes already converted and wish to trade…please send me a message…would love to hear from you!!

Attachments

• 120Minutes.png
    120Minutes.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ve nothing to give or add really other than to voice my enjoyment of 120min. I remember the material issue spot fondly

It's a shame the MTV project over at archive.org got killed off - there was tonnes of chronological (almost) complete content.
120 Minutes featured in it too.
The initial page has been deleted by archive.org, but ironical use of their wayback machine will let you see what had already been amassed:

The post here regarding said:

It might be worth tracking down the project's owner as they have years worth of stuff.
Regards,
FWD.

I watched 120 every Sunday night from 1988 to the mid 90s, but I only taped what I wanted to keep. Sorry - no complete shows. 120 along with Post Modern MTV and old episodes of The Young Ones...such good times.

I’ve nothing to give or add really other than to voice my enjoyment of 120min. I remember the material issue spot fondly

Material Issue are one of my favorite bands ever. In case you see this and didn’t know, there is a documentary on the band nearing completion to be released next year.

Material Issue are one of my favorite bands ever. In case you see this and didn’t know, there is a documentary on the band nearing completion to be released next year.
I saw them (in their "Material Reissue" incarnation) open for Liz Phair at The Metro a few years ago and they were f***ing amazing.

I saw them (in their "Material Reissue" incarnation) open for Liz Phair at The Metro a few years ago and they were f***ing amazing.

Very cool. Been a fan since forever and have followed the new incarnation of the band, but have only seen vids on YouTube from their shows. From the early days, MI put on some incredible shows. Amazing that they were only a three-piece. Liz is Liz... just as cool today as she wasback in the day, too.

Very cool. Been a fan since forever and have followed the new incarnation of the band, but have only seen vids on YouTube from their shows. From the early days, MI put on some incredible shows. Amazing that they were only a three-piece. Liz is Liz... just as cool today as she wasback in the day, too.
And she's still hot as f***.

Attachments

• 20181014_212508.jpg
    20181014_212508.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181014_213216.jpg
    20181014_213216.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20181014_220509.jpg
    20181014_220509.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
So, MTV’s 120 Minutes is something that I continue to cling to in my middle aged-madness as it were! Music remains as my life force and I remember the days of 120 Minutes quite fondly…including the loveable old curmudgeon himself, Dave Kendall! Back in the day, in my high school and college years, I didn’t have the money to record every episode on the finest VHS tape or in the highest quality recording option. Instead, I generally recorded in EP mode (lowest quality) and subsequently would record over videos I didn’t care for when the next week’s episode came on. Therefore, I am left with lots of tapes of cool videos…but no complete episodes. Older me not happy with younger me…can you relate? Nevertheless, I have acquired a number of complete episodes over the years…also have several complete episodes of The Alternative from VH1 Classic that I personally recorded…and I have to believe that there are at least a few people out there who recorded some complete episodes, or have acquired some complete episodes in some manner? Maybe you have a box of old VHS tapes where you recorded 120, just sitting in a closet or an attic and you can’t be bothered. Don’t have the time or the equipment/programs etc to convert to dvd and/or digital mp4 etc. If you happen to be one of these people who has VHS tapes of old 120 Minutes (specifically I am most interested in those episodes from 86-92), I would be more than happy to convert your old VHS tapes into dvd/MP4 and send them back to you along with the converted copies. If anyone out there has such a collection collecting dust somewhere who is willing to send to me to convert I would be most grateful…or if you have a bunch of episodes already converted and wish to trade…please send me a message…would love to hear from you!1
Kevin Seal was the original host, no?....he was there in late 80s for sure....then Dave took over....but also recall Lewis Largent when grunge started getting big. Introduced me to a lot of good music for sure.

Had to go find some clips....Kevin was SUCH an a$$:

Last edited:
It's a shame the MTV project over at archive.org got killed off - there was tonnes of chronological (almost) complete content.
120 Minutes featured in it too.
The initial page has been deleted by archive.org, but ironical use of their wayback machine will let you see what had already been amassed:

The post here regarding said:

It might be worth tracking down the project's owner as they have years worth of stuff.
Regards,
FWD.
Thank you FWD, actually, this site resurrected a few months ago which played a huge part in my recent enthusiasm for all things 120, can be found at: https://archive.org/. Not sure why your link shows everything as dead, but I have downloaded a number of 120 episodes from this site over the past few months, have done some re-editing to clean them up etc...a great site!!!

Also, there is this wonderful archive: https://120minutes.tylerc.com/
which has helped confirm dates and track listings for many an episode. But, being an archivist and collector, I am always looking for people who actually have the VHS recordings (or converted digital copies) of the actual episodes complete with "VJ" commentary etc.

Kevin Seal was the original host, no?....he was there in late 80s for sure....then Dave took over....but also recall Lewis Largent when grunge started getting big. Introduced me to a lot of good music for sure.

Had to go find some clips....Kevin was SUCH an a$$:

Kevin Seal was not the original host. The first year saw multiple hosts including JJ Jackson, Alan Hunter, Carolyne Heldman, Adam Curry & Downtown Julie Brown...although Kevin Seal did host many episodes from mid 87 to mid 89 when Dave took over.

Thank you FWD, actually, this site resurrected a few months ago which played a huge part in my recent enthusiasm for all things 120, can be found at: https://archive.org/. Not sure why your link shows everything as dead, but I have downloaded a number of 120 episodes from this site over the past few months, have done some re-editing to clean them up etc...a great site!!!

Also, there is this wonderful archive: https://120minutes.tylerc.com/
which has helped confirm dates and track listings for many an episode. But, being an archivist and collector, I am always looking for people who actually have the VHS recordings (or converted digital copies) of the actual episodes complete with "VJ" commentary etc.
It ceased due to Viacom becoming aware back in May.
See:

I wasn't aware they'd found a way back (well, legally that is :) ).
Good news if all is ok.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom