Myspace, Facebook, Bebo, & other party-line sites...

Well, it seems that people have had mixed bags regarding these sites. Good luck everyone... Glad I deleted mine though.

Does anyone here ever get TIRED of being SO responsible b/c of their job, meaning, they have to have a professional/mature image b/c of it? I wish I could have kept SOME of my profiles but, work calls...

Well, it seems that people have had mixed bags regarding these sites. Good luck everyone... Glad I deleted mine though.

Does anyone here ever get TIRED of being SO responsible b/c of their job, meaning, they have to have a professional/mature image b/c of it? I wish I could have kept SOME of my profiles but, work calls...

I can separate the two perfectly. What I do in my free time is nobody else's business...

I can separate the two perfectly. What I do in my free time is nobody else's business...

I am TOTAL agreement w/you however, when it comes to occupations that are so "serious" in nature, doctors, lawyers, teachers, firemen, EMTs, dentists, cops, investigators, etc., it's like people in them have to be very "choosy" in what outside activities they engage in.

At my job, we even have IOC's regarding this. It's really ridiculous, I'll admit b/c no-one has ANY right to know what I choose to do w/ my personal life yet, I still have to be highly professional & respectful to my job's responsibilities. Plus, if we got "caught" problems could occur. Hence, that's one of the major reasons, I deleted all of my accounts. Secondly, in some occupations, you don't want to portray this immature & unprofessional image for which your accountable for the welfare of the others for.

Another side note:

AGAIN today on that radio station, they discussed about these sites & how their impact though came upon cheating....someone must be on a party-line website kick!!!

I am TOTAL agreement w/you however, when it comes to occupations that are so "serious" in nature, doctors, lawyers, teachers, firemen, EMTs, dentists, cops, investigators, etc., it's like people in them have to be very "choosy" in what outside activities they engage in.

At my job, we even have IOC's regarding this. It's really ridiculous, I'll admit b/c no-one has ANY right to know what I choose to do w/ my personal life yet, I still have to be highly professional & respectful to my job's responsibilities. Plus, if we got "caught" problems could occur. Hence, that's one of the major reasons, I deleted all of my accounts. Secondly, in some occupations, you don't want to portray this immature & unprofessional image for which your accountable for the welfare of the others for.

Another side note:

AGAIN today on that radio station, they discussed about these sites & how their impact though came upon cheating....someone must be on a party-line website kick!!!

Yes, I have to be careful what I write. It could be so easy to be an open book but then realise some customers are my contacts.
I guess you mean like posting photos of yourself & friends drunk at parties.

Yes, I have to be careful what I write. It could be so easy to be an open book but then realise some customers are my contacts.
I guess you mean like posting photos of yourself & friends drunk at parties.

Hi,

Yes, that & anything regarding your personal life you posted on these sites, like trips you've taken/or are taking, whom you've married/dating, etc. Anything really, you're right!

Just wondering why it should bother your job?

I know a few school teachers who have myspace and facebook in the U.S. (how I keep in touch with my friends!) and they've both been warned by differenet schools about the content. That just means no swearing or crude and rude photos and/or photos in compromising positions. But they have both kept their sites and they still have pictures up. There's nothing inappropriate and I would think school teachers would be the absolute most targeted to be careful about these sorts of things in regards to their jobs. I don't see how any other state job would really mind what you do in your free time as long as it doesn't look illegal.

Just wondering why it should bother your job?

I know a few school teachers who have myspace and facebook in the U.S. (how I keep in touch with my friends!) and they've both been warned by differenet schools about the content. That just means no swearing or crude and rude photos and/or photos in compromising positions. But they have both kept their sites and they still have pictures up. There's nothing inappropriate and I would think school teachers would be the absolute most targeted to be careful about these sorts of things in regards to their jobs. I don't see how any other state job would really mind what you do in your free time as long as it doesn't look illegal.

Absolutely. As long as you don't post anything compromising, it should be okay. And if you fear for your safety, use a pseudonym.

Back
Top Bottom