Name Morrissey's ideal band

bailiffwithbadbreath

'so-slow liberation army'
Here's mine:

Voice: Our Hero
Guitars: Bernard Butler, Boz Boorer
Bass: Andy Rourke - bring him back, Moz. He's no Joyce!
Drums: Matt Walker - best drummer Moz has had in a while

songwriting: Whyte, Butler, Boorer

M's new album is almost good enough to lull me into thinking Jesse Tobias is a good musician. But just listen to the uninspiring lead guitar! It's OK. That's it. It's miraculous that the record sounds so rip-roaringly splendid given how unimaginative and frankly technically useless Jesse is.

Whyte remains a wonderful songsmith, up there with Marr. Boz has a lot to offer. Moz should swallow his pride and get this country's finest guitarist on board for the next record. Just imagine Butler's playing all over the first two tracks from 'Refusal.' He could probably help Morrissey achieve his dream of a fully-realised rock/glam sound.

Finally worked out who Bailiff is - it's Broken. A) he knows vast amounts of Moz trivia and B) he's always banging on about Bernard effing Butler!
If Butler is such a genius, why was his solo album (s?) so dire?
And, more recently, why was the Tears album so duff?
He's a vaguely respected producer but, really, producers make very little difference - it's mainly about the songs. Think of the huge variation in quality between Vauxhall, Southpaw and Maladjusted - all produced by Steven Lillywhite.

Finally worked out who Bailiff is - it's Broken. A) he knows vast amounts of Moz trivia and B) he's always banging on about Bernard effing Butler!
He's a vaguely respected producer but, really, producers make very little difference - it's mainly about the songs. Think of the huge variation in quality between Vauxhall, Southpaw and Maladjusted - all produced by Steven Lillywhite.

That's quite a leap! We both like Bernard Butler so I must be him? I assume you weren't schooled in Aristotelian logic? Just kidding ;)

Butler's solo album featured several stunning songs, not least 'Not Alone,' 'Change of Heart,' 'Stay' and was 'Souvenir' on there too? Quite possibly. Why were the tears duff? Well the polecats weren't all that good! I think the Tears were compromised by a sentimentality. That broken relationshi never ought to have been resurrected. When Brett and Bernard were wonderful they were ambitious, aggressive and in conflict. A polite working relationship and casual co-operation were never going to work for those two. Besides, Brett is a shadow of his former self. I think Morrissey's drive would inspire Butler and provide the perfect voice and words for his writhing, hip-swivelling guitar work.

*pats on the head*
Don't downmouth Butler. Have you heard the stuff he's done with David McAlmont? They're absolutely brilliant together.

My choice would be:

Noko - Guitars, Keyboards, Viola, Backing Vocals
Johnny Marr - Guitars, Backing Vocals
Michael Manring - Bass :D
Matt Walker - Drums
Ronald Mael - Keyboards
Mikey Farrell - Brass and wind instruments

Songwriting would be Noko / Marr / Mael / Whyte. Once again I'll voice that it's a shame John McGeoch passed. He could have surely done some wonderful things with Moz. :guitar:

Re: for your interest

Care to explain why not?

Ha, you didn't answer my question last night.

can you explain why Billy Duffy couldn't help Morrissey?
What makes you think Morrissey gave Johnny Marr a break?

Bernard seems to prefer to work with people who can easily comminucate, unfortunately Morrissey is not easy to communicate.

Ha, you didn't answer my question last night.

can you explain why Billy Duffy couldn't help Morrissey?
What makes you think Morrissey gave Johnny Marr a break?

Bernard seems to prefer to work with people who can easily comminucate, unfortunately Morrissey is not easy to communicate.

I went to bed last night suffering from a so-slow induced migraine. I apologise for not responding when you posted this question yesterday.

Morrissey was never going to be anything more than a novelty act as the frontman of a punk group. I think that answers your question as succinctly as is possible. If you require further explanation, do let me know.

Bernard seems to fall out with everyone around him - just like Morrissey. Very talented people are often like that. Butler was a lover of the Smiths and of Marr and was actually approached as a possible replacement for Whyte when Whyte had his much-publicised breakdown.The critical comments he subsequently made about Morrissey's band probably mean he will never work with Morrissey now, unless Morrissey's entire ethos changes, which is unlikely.

My interpretation of that episode is as follows:

Morrissey band approach Butler
Butler says, "X,Y have to change"
Morrissey disagrees
Morrissey hires someone else (Jesse)
Butler criticises Morrissey's band and recent musical output on the web

Creative tensions have always played a crucial role in rock music. Lennon/McCartney, Morrissey/Marr and Brown/Squire all had conflicting ideas, tastes and values. It seems that tension helps bring the best out of some partnerships and - without such tensions - music can tend towards self-indulgence and tedium. Just look at the solo careers of most great recording artists with the power to decide on everything. Morrissey is one of the few exceptions to this rule and many would say he's not an exception at all!

I'm not satisfied with your answer.

Your opinion about Johnny Marr is unfairly lower than avarage.

Some people already pointed out that Johnny went to see Morrissey at the right time which made them instantly brought out each other's talent.

Yes, I think your I.D. is correct about the latest invasion. A showdown is inevitable.

I'm not satisfied with your answer.

Your opinion about Johnny Marr is unfairly lower than avarage.

Some people already pointed out that Johnny went to see Morrissey at the right time which made them instantly brought out each other's talent.

Hey Kewpie, the Oxford Dictionary people called, they want to explain to you the definition of 'opinion.'

Back
Top Bottom