New album or autobiography - which one are you looking forward to more?

Which one are you most looking forward to?

• New album

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Autobiography

Votes: 14 60.9%

• Total voters

the_kaz

Although I can't wait for both, I'm far more excited about the autobiography. Morrissey has such a unique and witty way with words, that I have no doubt that the autobiog will be a thoroughly enjoyable read, which will likely go down as a classic among rock star biographies. I don't really have especially high hopes for the new album. I kind of expect it to be another middling (IMO, of course) record, like 'Ringleader' and 'Refusal' but, I can't help but feel, worse. I'm still excited about it, of course, but not much in my world beats the excitement I have for the autobiography.

Although I can't wait for both, I'm far more excited about the autobiography. Morrissey has such a unique and witty way with words, that I have no doubt that the autobiog will be a thoroughly enjoyable read, which will likely go down as a classic among rock star biographies. I don't really have especially high hopes for the new album. I kind of expect it to be another middling (IMO, of course) record, like 'Ringleader' and 'Refusal' but, I can't help but feel, worse. I'm still excited about it, of course, but not much in my world beats the excitement I have for the autobiography.
Hi The Kaz, I feel the other way round and would much rather see an album although it does not appear to forthcoming.
My worry about the book is that dear old Moz seems to put his foot in his mouth everytime he opens it and a book will give him ample opportunity to really chesse people off.
I have just finished the spoof Alan Partridge autobiography (if you are not from the UK you may not know anything about Alan Partridge) and I fear Moz's effort will resemble this.

I have plenty of Morrissey music to last me until he decides to release a new record

It's that f***ing book I want, and if it doesn't see release until December, that gives me all year to brood in anticipation (my favourite!)

can't wait to engage in all the petty sniping at Morrisseysolo when the book comes out, either!

I have plenty of Morrissey music to last me until he decides to release a new record

It's that f***ing book I want, and if it doesn't see release until December, that gives me all year to brood in anticipation (my favourite!)

can't wait to engage in all the petty sniping at Morrisseysolo when the book comes out, either!
Hey TSM, this site will be a hoot when the book comes out.

tough call, sort of... If he only releases one more album, that does make the anticipation for "THE LAST MORRISSEY ALBUM" pretty great (good marketing there, Moz), but I'd like an autobiography to pour over, as long as it's not the final word.

If one is to assume it is the final word, the cap on his musical career, I kinda hope December isn't really the sell-by date, especially if he refuses to release an album independently.

Autobiography I suppose, must be so entertaining and funny too. Book of the Year!
Cheers Moz

Autobiography by far.

I don't understand it! Everyone wants the book. He's a singer/songwriter (apologies MauriceE) and that's what he does best. He's not a writer and let's face it, the autobiography could very well be awful.

I don't understand it! Everyone wants the book. He's a singer/songwriter (apologies MauriceE) and that's what he does best. He's not a writer and let's face it, the autobiography could very well be awful.

Peterb, let's be fair: sing/songwriter he may be, yet the new album could very well be awful, too. General opinion has been that the new material is "adequate" to a lukewarm-but-since-you-forced-me "good" at best. I would like to be proven wrong that there are more "Art-Hounds" than "The Kid Is a Looker"s to be heard - but that hope could easily be in vain if all the material is minor-Boorer-efforts / Tobias-by-the-numbers.

I think there is more likelihood that he can knock it out of the park with his book and reach fans who closed the door on him years ago. There could be many enticed back to the fold by the prospect of revelations. It will get lots of press, you can be sure. And, that, perhaps, might be the key to one last major deal - in which case you can then get the album you want. The results, of course, are a whole other story.

I'm looking forward to the book more than the music, although I definitely want both.

As Peter said, though, the book might turn out to be awful. It's going to be hit or miss, and if it misses, it'll be interesting to see by how much. He may do irreparable harm to his legacy. Morrissey could stray into the same wilderness in which Jim Morrison's ghost is wandering. I think the book will be good, though.

tough call, sort of... If he only releases one more album, that does make the anticipation for "THE LAST MORRISSEY ALBUM" pretty great (good marketing there, Moz), but I'd like an autobiography to pour over, as long as it's not the final word.

If one is to assume it is the final word, the cap on his musical career, I kinda hope December isn't really the sell-by date, especially if he refuses to release an album independently.

Is the consensus thought that if he doesn't at least have a recording deal by the time the book is to be released that he won't bother with a "last album" and YOR will be it?

Peterb, let's be fair: sing/songwriter he may be, yet the new album could very well be awful, too. General opinion has been that the new material is "adequate" to a lukewarm-but-since-you-forced-me "good" at best. I would like to be proven wrong that there are more "Art-Hounds" than "The Kid Is a Looker"s to be heard - but that hope could easily be in vain if all the material is minor-Boorer-efforts / Tobias-by-the-numbers.

I think there is more likelihood that he can knock it out of the park with his book and reach fans who closed the door on him years ago. There could be many enticed back to the fold by the prospect of revelations. It will get lots of press, you can be sure. And, that, perhaps, might be the key to one last major deal - in which case you can then get the album you want. The results, of course, are a whole other story.
Yeah Jamie, you make a good argument. And you're certainly right about the new material. God, I hope the book is good with less Alan Partridge and more Ken Livingstone.

I'm looking forward to the book more than the music, although I definitely want both.

As Peter said, though, the book might turn out to be awful. It's going to be hit or miss, and if it misses, it'll be interesting to see by how much. He may do irreparable harm to his legacy. Morrissey could stray into the same wilderness in which Jim Morrison's ghost is wandering. I think the book will be good, though.
Well said Worm, it could harm his legacy especially if he strays into politics.

Well said Worm, it could harm his legacy especially if he strays into politics.

Well, possibly, but I was thinking more about his writing as such, not really his subject matter. The persona he has cultivated-- aided and abetted by the press and the fans-- is that of a man who might have been a novelist or a poet had he not been swept away by pop music at an early age. Throughout his career the literary influence in his music has been celebrated, resulting in the expectation that one day he'd lay down the microphone, take up the pen, and treat us to a Serious Book. Now we're going to find out if the actual work measures up to our expectations. I think it's completely fair to have high expectations. Nobody expects him to write "In Search of Lost Time", but he will need to publish a book with at least some real literary merit. Otherwise he's just Sarah Palin.

I'm keeping my eye on news sources within the publishing world, and so far there has been no formal announcement. Deals are generally enthusiastically announced as soon as the contract is signed. I do know for a fact that he is signed with a literary agent at William Morris. A friend of mine shares the same agent. (No, there is no gossip there, sorry.) It's not impossible, but don't hold your breath for a 2012 release. The publishing process is impossibly slow.

Autobiography. Not looking forward to another Fat Aunt Mabel jab. I don't want to be doing this.

Back
Top Bottom