New book? : "Meetings with Morrissey"

The pictures are :horny:!

Still waiting for Amazon to re-stock.

More copies are expected in late December now.:(

My copy came from the "More buying choices - New & Used" section on Amazon. It shipped through a third party vendor - Caiman.com. It was new, not used. It took its time getting here, but at least it finally arrived!

Has anyone in the states seen this book at a bookstore anywhere?

One of my favorite moments is in the chapter "Into Exile" where Brown interviews Moz for The Brit Girlsdocumentary. Picture Morrissey in the driver's seat of a silver sports car, zipping around England in search of an appropriate interview spot (they've been chucked out of a park in Manchester for not having a permit). Moz is playing song after song by Sixties girl groups and challenges Len to "Name That Tune in one." Yikes! The interview itself is fascinating, Morrissey's knowledge is voluminous. He must have a photographic memory.

I’m actually sort of fascinated with Morrissey’s thorough knowledge of pop music. I’m working on this science fiction paper where these two underground super heroes live as a common married couple. The man (Morrissey) will talk to his wife over breakfast about some 60’s girl band factoid which will in turn intrigue and remind his super hero wife of some other thing completely unrelated but apt on a super hero level. Then they’ll go to bed and make passionate love, their minds melding as one as the two facts converge and solidify with their love. Then in each other’s embrace they’ll wake from post coital bliss and, say, a cure for cancer will be discovered or an economic crisis solved. Justice and equity will prevail and the underground super heros will wonder what’s for lunch. Did I mention I’m the super hero wife? Hey, I am the author so I can be whoever I want. Anyway, I’m sure Len Brown would approve. :)

My copy came from the "More buying choices - New & Used" section on Amazon. It shipped through a third party vendor - Caiman.com. It was new, not used. It took its time getting here, but at least it finally arrived!

Has anyone in the states seen this book at a bookstore anywhere?

Did you get the hardcover version, Julie?

I was at the huge Virgin Megastore in Times Square, New York City yesterday and I checked for it. No luck. They have a very good, comprehensive music section. They had a large stack of Morrissey in Conversation, the Essential Interviews. I was really expecting to find it there.:o

And thank you for that well thought-out summary and review. My guess is that you were an English major. Correct? I can usually spot them a mile away!:D

Last edited:
Did you get the hardcover version, Julie?

I was at the huge Virgin Megastore in Times Square, New York City yesterday and I checked for it. No luck. They have a very good, comprehensive music section. They had a large stack of Morrissey in Conversation, the Essential Interviews. I was really expecting to find it there.:o

And thank you for that well thought-out summary and review. My guess is that you were an English major. Correct? I can usually spot them a mile away!:D

Yup, I've got the nice hefty brick-sized hardcover. I wonder why this book is so hard to find over here?

And Yup, English major. Guilty :o I minored in Art History too, so I'm completely useless to society. Then, just to be sado-masochistic, I went back to get a degree in journalism but HATED it. I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

But back to the book, I'm now plowing through the appendix in the back which lists many of Moz's icons and influences. It's great for me because I haven't seen a lot of these films and British TV shows - especially all of the obscure stuff. He's bringing a lot of new insight into the interpretations of songs. Things I haven't heard before.

Like: Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed. He wonders if its inspired by La Donna Del Fiume, Woman of the River, written by Pasolini, starring Sophia Loren. He also wonders if there are parallels to Virginia Woolf's suicide.

All You Need is Me: Maybe inspired by Anthony Newley's "Piccadilly Lily" and "I'm All I Need." ??? Maybe...I'm not familiar with these, but I will be now.

(He never claims that he has a definitive answer for these interpretations because surely there isn't one).

It's just fun to see all the connections between the influences themselves. Someone was someone's lover, or starred in someone's film, or used someone else as an inspiration for their work. I just finished "Open Up and Bleed," an excellent bio of Iggy Pop and I'm recognizing a lot of the same names, especially the Warhol Crowd - Candy Darling, Jayne/Wayne County, etc.

It's funny how the things we love eventually intersect one another.

The author's connection to the Smiths and Moz is so similiar to my own - he inherited his late brother's records, I got my late sister's tapes. And so many of us have similiar stories.

Thanks to allnightchemist on Morrissey Shot for the heads up......

Len Brown will be interviewed on BBC radio today after 18.00 GMT (after 1 PM ET - that's, like, NOW). About this very book!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/steve_lamacq/

Update: Over already - short but sweet.

Highlight: Funny story about Moz being attacked by a wasp during an interview. Catch the replay when you can!

Last edited:
He's bringing a lot of new insight into the interpretations of songs.

I'm sure he does. Isn't it grand that anybody can have a go at interpreting Morrissey's songs and make money out of it? Like ticks on a big fat lazy dog that's too old to give a damn. Live and let other people live off you. And live off other people yourself. Such generosity. It's kinda cute.:sweet:

Anyway, lemme have a go for fun! for free!
I seeee I seeee...in my crystal ball...
the Beatles- all you need is love
Lloyd Cole - Rattlesnakes

Alas, I have four paws, I can't write a book. (Lend us a fiver, Len will ya.)

:p

Can't wait for that lecture in Limerick...

There was a lecturer in Limerick
That didn't know his arse from his d-

If only I were human and could find a rhyme! I would write a Limerick and they would invite me at that symposium! :tears:

Bark out the limerick and I'll write it down for you. I'm a good listener..

The book is on the shelves at my local bookshop, along with FIVE others on Morrissey. Either the buyer is a fan, or there are a lot of people wanting to guess/ discover Who the real Morrissey is. ;)

Bark out the limerick and I'll write it down for you. I'm a good listener..

The book is on the shelves at my local bookshop, along with FIVE others on Morrissey. Either the buyer is a fan, or there are a lot of people wanting to guess/ discover Who the real Morrissey is. ;)

You mean not everybody is going to buy that he's actually a two-headed hermaphrodite? :)

You mean not everybody is going to buy that he's actually a two-headed hermaphrodite? :)

"I am two people "
It really is all in the songs! :eek:

The books are interesting, as are many comments here, in that they give an insight into the personalities of the writers, and the things in Morrissey's public image that they can best relate to. The variety of interpretations shows, to me, how well Morrissey does at keeping people guessing.

A question I ask myself, without clear answer yet, is why they want to define Morrissey as "x" and why they choose to define themselves as "x". Definitions tend to stick, but people change and categories are restrictive and incomplete descriptions, of limited usefulness.

:confused:

Bark out the limerick and I'll write it down for you. I'm a good listener...

Thank you for that kind offer Dunya. I'll be sure to remember it in the middle of the night :p
(As I was saying to Boz the other day, you never know when inspiration's gonna pay a visit.:D)(He just stared at me blankly, but I think we shouldn't read too much into it. Was just amazed I could speak; probably.):)confused:)

I've always wondered why the cat yowls outside my door in the early hours. If only I'd listened more carefully, we could be celebrating the cat's book launch instead of watching the football..

I dont know if this has been covered (forgive me, I'm at work and cant trawl) but I was just listening to steve lamacq on bbc6 music (you can listen to it on the website) and he had on the meetings with morrissey writer who said (or alluded) that morrissey had written his autobiography and it was with the lawyers! This is news to me if true. My boyf claims the autobiography doesn't even exist. Worth a listen anyway, the meetings with morrissey guy is on about 2 hours in.

Back
Top Bottom