New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, aside from the Union Jack(y) and (Br)exit ideas, this reading doesn't really sense to me. There are too many lyrics that don't fit: "the effects of sexual neglect", etc. The overall tone itself is quite doomy and "everybody heading for the exit" is clearly a bad thing for Jacky in the narrative, so it reads like an anti-Brexit statement, if anything. Why would Morrissey portray it in such a negative way if he was supposedly in favour of it?

Here's a rundown of one possible meaning behind the lyrics of 'Jacky' (I'm using the incomplete version of the lyrics which has been posted online):

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage [Jacky = Union Jack = Britain. Up on stage = powerful on the world stage; being centre of attention, making waves, leading the way with others following along behind.]
I make this claim now let me explain
Since she lost you [a loss of national sovereignty and being in control of its own affairs.]
Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage
She's [?] the truth of make believe [Make believe = Britain has been in a state of denial about its loss of influence and relevance, and about cultural changes morphing it into a place beyond recognition.]
Since she lost you
She is determined to prove
How she can build up the pain
Of every lost and lonely day

Jacky's always happy when she's up on the stage
She'll make you believe what you'll never believe
Since she lost you
Jacky's only Jacky when she's up on the stage [Being conquerors, innovators, and being at the head of the pack is how Britain made its name; it isn't Britain when it goes quiet and fades into the background or since it became just another country in an 'ever closer union'.]
Since she lost you
She is determined to prove
How she can build up the pitch
Of every lost and lonely day [Determined to prove, to themselves and to the world, that what has been lost can be regained.]

Queue lights I am singing to my lover at night [the lover is the country; daydreaming and waxing lyrical about what the country used to be and could be again.]
Scene two everyone who comes must go [The crass explanation is that immigrants/refugees must be sent back to their countries of origin. It could also be a reference to death and therefore cultural change/loss.]
Scene four it's blacker than ever before [a metaphor for the bleak fate of Britain, the more crass reading here is that it refers to the ethnic make-up of a sizable percentage of the new arrivals. It could be either, or both (or neither).]
Scene six this country is making me sick [see scene four]

Jacky cracks when she isn't on stage [societal breakdown]
Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]
No script, to crew, no autocue
No audience telling her what to do [breaking free of 'experts', media, celebrities, and politicians dictating to them the direction in which the country should go; henceforth going it alone.]
Exit, exit
Everybody's heading to the exit, exit
Everybody's running to the exit, exit
[The people have had enough of the current state of affairs and are taking steps towards determining their own destiny again. Exit = Brexit.]

I addressed the 'sexual neglect' line in a post on these forums on October 18th (see above for full post)

The line in question: "Seen the effects of sexual neglect [sexual neglect = native Britons not having enough children of their own, with birth rates below replacement level?]"

^^^ I made this claim, now let me explain (in an attempt to show where Morrissey may be coming from in his writing of these lyrics).

Exhibits A through E:

A. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/606926/Number-migrant-babies-born-UK-SOAR-new-record-high/amp

B. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/23/baby-crisis-europe-brink-depopulation-disaster

C. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1556901.stm

D. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sci...and-low-reproduction-rates-1.2926375?mode=amp

E. http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/02/white-british-minority_n_3198600.html

That about covers it. Oh, and:
"Oh no, she didn't win, the voting was rigged -- sorry, I forgot."

Screenshot_2017-11-08-22-57-23-1.png

It's all about to drop very soon.
There's a listening party for the whole album on the 8th, promo cds in the hands of many indie record shops etc...
As for Jacky (which is what it will probably be called as the hashtag & title are too long to be practical), well releasing something that might later surface as a 7" 10 days before the album release is odd. BMG have been pretty good, but it all looks a bit random. STDIB was pre-planned, records were pictured and pre-orderable - this drops overnight. The cynic in me says it's not a coincidence that it's announced just after the cancellation. The banter live hasn't mentioned a new single, only album.
Just the usual Morrissey 'mystique' when it comes to a transparent marketing plan - we will probably never know any details.
Regards,
FWD.
When you say it's about to drop do you mean the album will get leaked? How will we know if it has been leaked?

Yes, you're right about that. But I think the Money is also in selling records like the 7" boxset of the álbum or vinyl editions very well elaborated with lots of extra info and one or two extra tracks (not a tacky badge... sorry I could not resist). It is no secret that vinyl copies because of their size allow a more elaborated art sleeve and other things that fans love... and this could be source for the Money... but I agree that the normal physical and digital copies are not the place the artist makes Money... And you know... the artist can make Money from tour if they are U2 or Coldplay...out of that is very limited... and Moz once said "look the U2 tour [circa 360 era], this is something I can't compete". Yeah, and he shouldn't!
We are getting a tacky badge this time round though in the bundles but ironically no extra tracks. Although the badge looks cool and not tacky.

https://us.mporium.org/collections/...low-in-high-school-lp-french-tee-badge-bundle

Yes, aside from the Union Jack(y) and (Br)exit ideas, this reading doesn't really sense to me. There are too many lyrics that don't fit: "the effects of sexual neglect", etc. The overall tone itself is quite doomy and "everybody heading for the exit" is clearly a bad thing for Jacky in the narrative, so it reads like an anti-Brexit statement, if anything. Why would Morrissey portray it in such a negative way if he was supposedly in favour of it?
He was definitely singing "exit, brexit" during his 6 Music live performance but it looks like the official lyric just repeats "exit." He plays around with the lyrics quite a lot when he 'performs live' so I think that's probably what has confused things. I really like this song and think the lyric is clearly autobiographical, and the strongest of any of his new songs. I really like "she is determined to prove/ how she can fill up the page/ of every lost and lonely day" - definitely a reflection on Morrissey's lonely life as a writer/singer.

On the whole 'is he a racist' thing... god knows really.

He was definitely singing "exit, brexit" during his 6 Music live performance but it looks like the official lyric just repeats "exit." He plays around with the lyrics quite a lot when he 'performs live' so I think that's probably what has confused things. I really like this song and think the lyric is clearly autobiographical, and the strongest of any of his new songs. I really like "she is determined to prove/ how she can fill up the page/ of every lost and lonely day" - definitely a reflection on Morrissey's lonely life as a writer/singer.

Listen from 03:50 and you will hear Brexit and excess etc :thumb:

Apparently we're all racist.

How will we find out if it's been leaked? I keep checking torrent sites, but will it be announced on here or will the moderators not allow that?
theres a site called,has it leaked yet.com,it will be on there.check it out.

By drop it means released. I've always thought it to be a strange term.
Indeed, it alludes to a jukebox and the process by which the 45's fall - a term used in the rockabilly community too.
That was always my take, although I believe the etymology refers to a shipment of records being delivered & dropped off at the record store.
Not used for any cryptic purposes - just habit.
Regards,
FWD.

Indeed, it alludes to a jukebox and the process by which the 45's fall - a term used in the rockabilly community too.
That was always my take, although I believe the etymology refers to a shipment of records being delivered & dropped off at the record store.
Regards,
FWD.
Have you ever been referred to as Sheldon Cooper before?

Regards,
FWD.
Ah that makes sense.

Have you ever been referred to as Sheldon Cooper before?
Insert Sheldon wearing Smiths t-shirt picture here.
Please don't mistake my providing information & discussion points (the general idea of a forum) for any type of behaviour on the spectrum - plus, physics isn't my forte :)
Regards,
FWD.

Insert Sheldon wearing Smiths t-shirt picture here.
Please don't mistake my providing information & discussion points (the general idea of a forum) for any type of behaviour on the spectrum - plus, physics isn't my forte :)
Regards,
FWD.
Only messing :)
Heart-I-Love-You-icon.png

Yes, it seems to be autobiographical, and it could be the life of many artists who neglected their personal life because they loved too much "the stage". Well, this life has so many squares to fill that everybody feels something was neglected in the process of living. I guess we should be happy if we can fill a single square or at least if we tried. "Be good to yourself", as a smart person said.

Last edited:
It was a great time when "Quarry" came out and when "your Arsenal" was released he was supposed to make an appearance at a record store that Tuesday night and we camped out in Dallas at "Bill's records and Tapes " to see if he would show up and he didn't he showed up at another record store, who knows where. . But so many fans were in the parking lot listening to Our tapes as loud as we could afterwards.
I believe his appearance that you're referring to was at a record store in Grand Rapids, MI. I also remember him later doing an in-store appearance at Record Rack in Houston.

The song is almost good.
These days it's like he comes up with a song title first then tries to base a song around it and mostly fails.

The song is almost good.
These days it's like he comes up with a song title first then tries to base a song around it and mostly fails.

didn't M once say (probably joking with the interviewer) that song titles always come first ?

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom