NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020)

Boy-George-Nov-2020-by-Dean-Stockings-02USE--1392x885.jpg

Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! – Boy George

In Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?!, we quiz a grizzled artist on their own career to see how much they can remember – and find out if the booze, loud music and/or tour sweeties has knocked the knowledge out of them. This week: Boy George.

...(relevant parts quoted only)...

Anyone who slagged you off that you had a laugh about it with later?

“I had tea with Morrissey in Paris in the early ‘80s and he called me ‘overbearing’.
At the time, I didn’t find it funny – now I do. I still love Morrissey and The Smiths even though I don’t love what he’s saying at the moment, but I put that into grumpy old man category. I saw him again years later and he was very sweet to me because I’d written something about how ‘Maladjusted’, one of his most critically-derided albums, is actually one of his best. He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and went: ‘’Maladjusted‘?’ (Laughs) I’m there quoting him lyrics trying to convince him it’s a f***ing great album!”

Bonus question! For a half-point: In 1985, Smash Hits readers voted you Prat of the Year. Name anyone else in the Top 10.
“Was Holly Johnson in it?”

CORRECT. Frankie Goes To Hollywood are at Number Eight – frontman Holly Johnson is also Number 12.

(Laughs) She’s going to kill me! Was George Michael in it as well?”

Yes – he’s second! The others are: Black Lace (3), Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran (4) Neil from The Young Ones (5), National Union of Mineworkers president Arthur Scargill (6), DJ Mike Read (7), Divine (9) and Morrissey (10).

“I’m in fabulous company! Divine and Morrissey alone fills me with joy. I’ve got a Divine tattoo on my arm. Before I was famous, I was on the King’s Road with Marilyn and we spotted Divine – in her civvies – and ran after her, gushing: ‘We love you!’. She was so sweet – and completely stoned! She did a concert at Heaven where she said onstage: ‘I need to get myself a new Rolls-Royce – so I can drive it over Boy George!’ (Laughs) I loved someone I admired mentioning me. It was a shame that when I became famous, she never knew what a massive influence she was in my life as a teenager.”

Full article:

Regards,
FWD.

:thumb:

never seen before. Are there more ?
Yes. 🙂

Used at the time in a Guardian interview. Unfortunately, I don't know who the photographer is.

Mozadjusted.JPG

original version of the one I used for the cover:

Mozadjusted2.jpg

Mozadjusted3.jpg

Clearly that's what it relates to, and that's what puzzled me, given Moz's family were Eirean as opposed to NI immigrants...Dublin as far as I'm aware.
Why does it puzzle you? He saw a situation and commented on it in the form of a song. It's no different in that from, say, Ganglord
or Meat Is Murder.
I remember it well, in the 90s the troubles were always all over the news.

Why does it puzzle you? He saw a situation and commented on it in the form of a song. It's no different in that than, say, Ganglord
or Meat Is Murder.
I remember it well, in the 90s the troubles were always all over the news.
Well more like 70's & 80's really. It just struck me as odd given his southerm Irish heritage, & the fact he would never have had any direct experience of NI happenings...but I take your point.

Well more like 70's & 80's really. It just struck me as odd given his southerm Irish heritage, & the fact he would never have had any direct experience of NI happenings...but I take your point.
I don't remember the 70s or much of the 80s and the song was written in the 90s, that's why I said 90s. 😉
He also wrote Istanbul without ever having any experience as a father of a lost son. It's poetry.

I don't remember the 70s or much of the 80s and the song was written in the 90s, that's why I said 90s. 😉
He also wrote Istanbul without ever having any experience as a father of a lost son. It's poetry.
Yes both are poetry, & yes I did say I get your point :) ...clearly suffering from book review fatigue :rolleyes:

There's no such place as southern Ireland, the country is not divided in two by a line across the middle. There's a north, south, east and west comprising 32 counties, 6 of which are called Northern Ireland for political reasons. The rest is called the Republic, not southern Ireland, only lost English tourists call it that. Alternatively by the "natives" it's the 26 counties and the 6 counties is the bit the English think they own, up in the top right hand corner. Morrissey is from the 26 counties and a Celtic heritage that spans millennia.

It's not something I put a lot of effort into creating, I just like this picture and thought it represents the title quite well.
And the original cover is one of his worst in my opinion.

View attachment 65825
This is a great sleeve. It looks like a still from a Hitchcock film. And I like the wonky way you’ve done the title.

Also, as it’s just stood out to me, I wonder why the title is in quotation marks?

This is a great sleeve. It looks like a still from a Hitchcock film. And I like the wonky way you’ve done the title.

Also, as it’s just stood out to me, I wonder why the title is in quotation marks?
Thank you.

You'd have to ask Morrissey. I used quotation marks because they are used on the original cover as well.
On every album up until and including Maladjusted.

I'd spank this man for standing on the furniture like my parents used to spank me for standing on the furniture!
There are several pictures of him with his shoes on the sofa or bed. Drives me insane just looking at them.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom