NME: Morrissey Wembley review

A

Anonymous

From Mark Beaumont who also reviewed the album.
www.nme.com/reviews/morrissey-london-wembley-sse-arena-live-review-2625977

He's also written this on his Mark My Words blog. www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/mark-my-words-gigs-concerts-corona-virus-elvis-costello-morrissey-2626019
Witty fellow!
"My last big gig before the shutdown was actually Morrissey, conditioning myself to survive an eternity of forlorn solitude. He’s a grand-master of self-isolation, and no stranger to cancelling the odd gig or two, so it was something of a shock that Mozzer’s Wembley Arena gig went ahead on Saturday.
But Morrissey’s audience have been practicing social distancing since they first mistakenly, and traumatically, went to a nightclub. Considering which, the virus is doing a good job of wiping out our species, since Morrissey fans are about as likely to repopulate the earth in its wake as the giant panda.
But there was little sign of concern about the pandemic among the Mozzer fanatics. Large clumps of empty seats at the back suggested that, rather than stay at home over viral fears, many had decided some months ago to self-isolate from Morrissey’s queasy political standpoint. The faithful still crammed down the front hoping to inhale their hero’s every spluttering, even if there was zero chance of the traditional stage-invasion hug-athon in the circumstances. The closest they got to Moz himself was throwing records onstage for him to sign and return – the gasp when he realised that he was signing a record with a pen flung up by an Italian fan could barely have been more audible if he’d licked the nib."

From Mark Beaumont who also reviewed the album.
www.nme.com/reviews/morrissey-london-wembley-sse-arena-live-review-2625977

He's also written this on his Mark My Words blog. www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/mark-my-words-gigs-concerts-corona-virus-elvis-costello-morrissey-2626019
Witty fellow!
"My last big gig before the shutdown was actually Morrissey, conditioning myself to survive an eternity of forlorn solitude. He’s a grand-master of self-isolation, and no stranger to cancelling the odd gig or two, so it was something of a shock that Mozzer’s Wembley Arena gig went ahead on Saturday.
But Morrissey’s audience have been practicing social distancing since they first mistakenly, and traumatically, went to a nightclub. Considering which, the virus is doing a good job of wiping out our species, since Morrissey fans are about as likely to repopulate the earth in its wake as the giant panda.
But there was little sign of concern about the pandemic among the Mozzer fanatics. Large clumps of empty seats at the back suggested that, rather than stay at home over viral fears, many had decided some months ago to self-isolate from Morrissey’s queasy political standpoint. The faithful still crammed down the front hoping to inhale their hero’s every spluttering, even if there was zero chance of the traditional stage-invasion hug-athon in the circumstances. The closest they got to Moz himself was throwing records onstage for him to sign and return – the gasp when he realised that he was signing a record with a pen flung up by an Italian fan could barely have been more audible if he’d licked the nib."

Lord, that's like Moz's 80s publicity. Mocking all the uncool weirdos who love the gobby celibate.

Back
Top Bottom