NME: There’s a song on Johnny Marr’s new album that he says sounds like a Smiths’ classic

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
GettyImages-457761302_johnny_marr_1000-768x488.jpg

There’s a song on Johnny Marr’s new album that he says sounds like a Smiths’ classic.

...crossed with Patti Smith, no less

Excerpt:
"Johnny Marr has revealed that there’s a song on his upcoming new album that reminds him of The Smiths‘ classic ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ – crossed with Patti Smith.

Speaking in the new issue of Uncut Magazine, the guitar legend revealed all about his upcoming third album ‘Call The Comet’ when he opened about the sound of key track ‘Hi Hello’."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/there...album-says-sounds-like-smiths-classic-2271950

Regards,
FWD.

View attachment 44175
There’s a song on Johnny Marr’s new album that he says sounds like a Smiths’ classic.

...crossed with Patti Smith, no less

Excerpt:
"Johnny Marr has revealed that there’s a song on his upcoming new album that reminds him of The Smiths‘ classic ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ – crossed with Patti Smith.

Speaking in the new issue of Uncut Magazine, the guitar legend revealed all about his upcoming third album ‘Call The Comet’ when he opened about the sound of key track ‘Hi Hello’."

http://www.nme.com/news/music/there...album-says-sounds-like-smiths-classic-2271950

Regards,
FWD.
Someone has to say it, right? :lbf:

next year alain whyte is going to make a solo album and say that one of the songs sounds like it could have been on your arsenal.

This is very interesting to me. Kind of which came first the chicken or the egg. My love for The Smiths music or Morrissey's lyrics. I really can't say as the first song I heard was There is a Light and the music I think struck me first with Morrissey's voice and lyrics cementing my love of the band.

Going out on a very precarious limb I would say now...at this point in time I would rather hear new music in the spirit of my favorite band than the recent lyrical output of Moz. If there will be no reunion fine, but a new, complete record of music based on the "sound of The Smiths" written by Johnny with a new voice or several voices to me would be well worth a listen at the very least.

I, for one, cannot wait for the new Johnny album! The Smiths, for me (I am Morrissey's age) were all about the guitar and since I was past adolescent insecurities, the lyrics were to me mostly very funny and icing on the guitar-dense cake. "What Difference Does It Make", "This Charming Man", "Still Ill" - superlative guitar riffs. And Johnny, in whatever band, collaboration or project he's working on has never lost the magic touch.

I, for one, cannot wait for the new Johnny album! The Smiths, for me (I am Morrissey's age) were all about the guitar and since I was past adolescent insecurities, the lyrics were to me mostly very funny and icing on the guitar-dense cake. "What Difference Does It Make", "This Charming Man", "Still Ill" - superlative guitar riffs. And Johnny, in whatever band, collaboration or project he's working on has never lost the magic touch.

So true about his magical, musical touch. All great songs mentioned above, and to be completely honest I have a dark, secret love for The Draize Train from Rank. A work out of a tune if ever there was one. Musically they reached a pinnacle that would have been recognized more widely if they could have held it together. If Viva Hate could have been the follow up for the band, it could have spring boarded them into mass popularity.

I know that some of the band mates played on some of the songs and blah, blah, blah but still there was that moment in time. Most bands implode for one reason or another and at one time or another, but DAMN why then?!?! After Girlfriend in a Coma they were right there...after all that work it comes to an end. I needed ten more years or so at least of this, and I feel cheated. But that is how Moz always seems to leave me feeling...cheated of the songs I want to hear him sing in concert, new music that stands up to that of his past masterpieces, and that is my problem after all. It took me until 2013 to realize that my time would be better spent waiting for Santa Clause to slide down my chimney than wait for my dreams to come true. Time to grow up in my 50's I guess.

I liked his input on The Pet Shop Boy's 'Release' album (and later Yes album).
He'd done things with them prior, but this was more significant.
He's done some interesting collaborations and I think I've even forgiven him for Bryan Ferry as I've aged too.
Looking forward to the new album.
Regards,
FWD.

So true about his magical, musical touch. All great songs mentioned above, and to be completely honest I have a dark, secret love for The Draize Train from Rank. A work out of a tune if ever there was one. Musically they reached a pinnacle that would have been recognized more widely if they could have held it together. If Viva Hate could have been the follow up for the band, it could have spring boarded them into mass popularity.

I know that some of the band mates played on some of the songs and blah, blah, blah but still there was that moment in time. Most bands implode for one reason or another and at one time or another, but DAMN why then?!?! After Girlfriend in a Coma they were right there...after all that work it comes to an end. I needed ten more years or so at least of this, and I feel cheated. But that is how Moz always seems to leave me feeling...cheated of the songs I want to hear him sing in concert, new music that stands up to that of his past masterpieces, and that is my problem after all. It took me until 2013 to realize that my time would be better spent waiting for Santa Clause to slide down my chimney than wait for my dreams to come true. Time to grow up in my 50's I guess.

Great video! Thanks for posting.

I totally feel you, dude! It does seem like the Smiths were at the top of their game and ready to be huge. I know the disappointment runs deep. But you know what? Their catalog totally holds up - the astounding quality of their recorded output ranks them up there with the first tier bands. So really, they did, in their own way, break into the top ranks of rock'n'roll bands of all time. We'll just have to settle for that.

Back
Top Bottom