NME's 15 best albums from Manchester features 3 Smiths albums

Not sure where the boundary of Manchester lies but if Middleton is within it then surely Strange Times by The Chameleons should be on this list. One of the under rated and under played albums every. If you never heard it then look it up.

Odd to choose bombs over meat however the collection of songs on bombs ( golden lights aside ) are quite tremendous. The majority of bands couldn’t come close to writing even two or three of those songs never mind 23 of them.

For idle comparison, the top 17 Manc albums, as extracted from the BEST! ALBUMS! EVER! list the NME did a few years ago.

01. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead (1)
02. The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses (7)
03. Oasis – Definitely Maybe (10)
04. Joy Division – Closer (16)
05. Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures (40)
06. The Smiths – Strangeways, Here We Come (47)
07. The Smiths – The Smiths (97)
08. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow (100)
09. New Order – Technique (122)
10. The Fall – Hex Enduction Hour (201)
11. New Order – Power, Corrruption and Lies (216)
12. The Smiths – Meat is Murder (254)
13. Doves – Lost Souls (321)
14. New Order – Low Life (346)
15. Morrissey – Vauxhall and I (375)
16. The Fall – This Nation’s Saving Grace (400)
17. Happy Mondays – Pills N Thrills and Bellyaches (413)

Nothing will ever sum up Manchester better than Viva Hate!

Totally wrong there pal

Joy Division/New Order are from Salford/Macclesfield

Elbow are from Bury

Buzzcocks are from Bolton (and Howard Devoto is from Scunthorpe)

Happy Mondays are from Little Hulton which is effectively a Salfordian exclave in Bolton

Charlatans are from Northwich/Wolverhampton

The singer from the Stone Roses was born in Warrington and, like the guitarist, grew up in Altrincham.

A Greater Manchester best of then.

This is closer, you’d still need to include Cheshire and, possibly, Staffordshire, though I suspect the NME journo’s approach was ‘they're all a bit Northern, let’s lump ‘em in together’.

1. Hatful of Hollow
2. Meat is Murder
3. The Queen is Dead
4. Strangeways Here We Come
5. The World Won't Listen
6. The Smiths
7. Rank
Quibble over the order of those if you like NME.
8. Some other stuff.

I reckon I don't even think Uncle Steve was born in Mankchester. Is there a real birth certificate? Every photo I see from Uncle Steve's youth on the internet or so-low is when he is at the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Las Vegas, Yosemite, laying out in the sun getting a tan, or someplace else in the USA with his aunt and mom. He doesn't even play Mankchester when he has to go get foreigner money. He lives as far away as he can from brittin in LA. All the evidence is there. He constantly talks shit about brittin and the "royal family". I think he was born somewhere in the San Fernando Valley.

I reckon I don't even think Uncle Steve was born in Mankchester. Is there a real birth certificate? Every photo I see from Uncle Steve's youth on the internet or so-low is when he is at the Grand Canyon, Disneyland, Las Vegas, Yosemite, laying out in the sun getting a tan, or someplace else in the USA with his aunt and mom. He doesn't even play Mankchester when he has to go get foreigner money. He lives as far away as he can from brittin in LA. All the evidence is there. He constantly talks shit about brittin and the "royal family". I think he was born somewhere in the San Fernando Valley.
I can assure you he is from the place or rather an area not particularly keen to identify itself with Manchester. All the locals from that time remembered him well and hated his guts and found him scary and weird for sitting in the corner of the pub muttering something about killing the queen cause he really did.
If not for music his IRA mother would have made him join them and Morrissey might well have become a very feared terrorist.

He sure had enough hate in him for it.

Joy Division/New Order are from Salford/Macclesfield

Elbow are from Bury

Buzzcocks are from Bolton (and Howard Devoto is from Scunthorpe)

Happy Mondays are from Little Hulton which is effectively a Salfordian exclave in Bolton

Charlatans are from Northwich/Wolverhampton

The singer from the Stone Roses was born in Warrington and, like the guitarist, grew up in Altrincham.

This is closer, you’d still need to include Cheshire and, possibly, Staffordshire, though I suspect the NME journo’s approach was ‘they're all a bit Northern, let’s lump ‘em in together’.

They've undoubtedly all described themselves as being from Manchester, though, with the possible exception of The Charlatans, cos it would be a bit of a stretch. Which makes all of this a waste of perfectly good pedantry which could be put to better uses.

They've undoubtedly all described themselves as being from Manchester, though, with the possible exception of The Charlatans, cos it would be a bit of a stretch. Which makes all of this a waste of perfectly good pedantry which could be put to better uses.
They all said in interviews "it's just a place we come from". Funny how anti nationalists are so obsessed with where people come from.

Mancs have always been politically confused and will be the last place of communism when Norway crumbles.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom