'Oh Lou / why did you leave us this way?' - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

'Oh Lou / why did you leave us this way?' - true-to-you.net

27 October 2013
morrissey_and_lou_reed.jpg

'Oh Lou / why did you leave us this way?'

No words to express the sadness at the death of Lou Reed. He had been there all of my life. He will always be pressed to my heart. Thank God for those, like Lou, who move within their own laws, otherwise imagine how dull the world would be. I knew the Lou of recent years and he was always full of good heart. His music will outlive time itself.
We are all timebound, but today, with the loss of liberating Lou, life is a pigsty.

'7 glasses used to be
called for six good mates and me
now we only call for three'

-Patrick MacGill

double_spacer.jpg

MORRISSEY
27 October 2013

Related item:
Lou Reed is dead at 71 - Oct. 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
We all live on a finite personal timeline, as the death of Lou Reed in New York yesterday has shown. Though that death, after a long life and every technological medical effort to prolong life, is nothing compared to what happens in hospitals for the poor around the world every day. Or on the street for those who cannot access even the lowest level of hospital care.

This comment can be further explained this way: Millions of humans routinely die every single year in order to fund profits for Big Medicine, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them. They are deaths for no reasons other than profit, and death for such reasons are murder. If you quite rightly feel appropriate, proportional sadness at the death of Lou Reed, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the death of ANY innocent human being for lack of access to health care. You cannot ignore human suffering simply because poor people 'are not us' and cannot afford private, concierge medicine.

The recent death in New York is within the parameters of the possible, given the conditions involved, so to be shocked or overly emotional is inappropriate- unless you are a close personal friend or family member. As usual in such cases, the media give the deceased celebrity exactly what they, the media, want: worldwide maudlin pseudo-grief. We aren't told the names of the people who are killed by Big Medicine - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the latest dead star into a pseudo personal friend of millions is.... repulsive.

Lou Reed should be mourned by his family and by those who knew him as a friend, beyond acquaintance level, without ostentatious public statements. One hopes he is quietly buried away from the glare of intrusive media, and the shrill ululations of others who seek to validate themselves through proxy grief and emotional incontinence.

"No words to express the sadness at the death of Lou Reed."

Dozens of words follow.

"Life is nothing much to lose"

Don't sweat the small stuff. Lou croaked. Everybody does at some stage. You will too.

Thank God? Would God approve of those "who move within their own laws"? I think not. "His music will outlive time itself". Oh, dear, the laws of physics aren't your strongest subject, are they? Lou lived a good life. Stop being maudlin and Melisma with your "Oh Lou" loopiness. No words? You use far too many to convey very little, just like in your tedious book. Life is what you make of it. If your life is full of pig-shit, it's your mind, you're the gatekeeper, nobody else. How can you claim to mourn the loss of someone from a life you regard as a 'pigsty'. Seriously, sort yourself out.

BrummieBoy.

Mercia. The island of Britain.

Monday 28th October 2013 C.E.

BrummieBoy,

I'm sure I speak for the masses when I say that your self-righteous tone is boring and ordinary.

Anyone and everyone has the right to mourn those who they choose to mourn, so long as it is sincere. The upsetting part is that they ignore the grand scheme of things. The "grand scheme" being this: People die daily (many through acts of injustice), and it is ignored; but when celebrities die, and you can almost hear the fake cries from across the globe.

Still, people like Morrissey view these icons as their friends and sources of guidance. He has been a follower of Lou since he was twelve. I'm not surprised in the slightest that he made such a (mildly) dramatic ode to him. Would you expect anything else? Would you?
I cannot read people's hearts, but I'm nearly positive that Morrissey's write-up was not an act of pseudo-grief, as you said. In this sick world, though, it's a burden and challenge to figure out what is sincere and what isn't.

I personally appreciate those who mourn Lou for the right reasons. He had a message: Be yourself. People followed it. Lives were changed. We're all happy. And now, we all mourn, and hope for the best for his family and friends.

Stay sane.

JIM M. X

We all live on a finite personal timeline, as the death of Lou Reed in New York yesterday has shown. Though that death, after a long life and every technological medical effort to prolong life, is nothing compared to what happens in hospitals for the poor around the world every day. Or on the street for those who cannot access even the lowest level of hospital care.

This comment can be further explained this way: Millions of humans routinely die every single year in order to fund profits for Big Medicine, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them. They are deaths for no reasons other than profit, and death for such reasons are murder. If you quite rightly feel appropriate, proportional sadness at the death of Lou Reed, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the death of ANY innocent human being for lack of access to health care. You cannot ignore human suffering simply because poor people 'are not us' and cannot afford private, concierge medicine.

The recent death in New York is within the parameters of the possible, given the conditions involved, so to be shocked or overly emotional is inappropriate- unless you are a close personal friend or family member. As usual in such cases, the media give the deceased celebrity exactly what they, the media, want: worldwide maudlin pseudo-grief. We aren't told the names of the people who are killed by Big Medicine - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the latest dead star into a pseudo personal friend of millions is.... repulsive.

Lou Reed should be mourned by his family and by those who knew him as a friend, beyond acquaintance level, without ostentatious public statements. One hopes he is quietly buried away from the glare of intrusive media, and the shrill ululations of others who seek to validate themselves through proxy grief and emotional incontinence.

Dozens of words follow.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Lou croaked. Everybody does at some stage. You will too.

Thank God? Would God approve of those "who move within their own laws"? I think not. "His music will outlive time itself". Oh, dear, the laws of physics aren't your strongest subject, are they? Lou lived a good life. Stop being maudlin and Melisma with your "Oh Lou" loopiness. No words? You use far too many to convey very little, just like in your tedious book. Life is what you make of it. If your life is full of pig-shit, it's your mind, you're the gatekeeper, nobody else. How can you claim to mourn the loss of someone from a life you regard as a 'pigsty'. Seriously, sort yourself out.

BrummieBoy.

A lot of people connected with Lou Reed's music and appreciated him as a person; even if they didn't know him personally, it is perfectly acceptable to grieve over a person who had a profound influence on you. Telling others what is and isn't acceptable to mourn over is ridiculous, and the reason that so many are reacting to his death is because they felt some sort of kinship with him to some degree. The media may be circulating the news of his death, but the grief is, by and large, absolutely real.
That being said, it is a bit silly how inwardly focused this statement was ("He had been there all of my life. He will always be pressed to my heart"). It's bad form for Morrissey to keep constantly shoving himself in there (like when Madonna gave Michael Jackson's eulogy at some award show). But Morrissey is, after all, a celebrity. And, as is evident in his autobiography, he is obsessed with two things: himself, and naming celebrities whom he is acquainted with

BrummieBoy,

I'm sure I speak for the masses when I say that your self-righteous tone is boring and ordinary.

Anyone and everyone has the right to mourn those who they choose to mourn, so long as it is sincere. The upsetting part is that they ignore the grand scheme of things. The "grand scheme" being this: People die daily (many through acts of injustice), and it is ignored; but when celebrities die, and you can almost hear the fake cries from across the globe.

Still, people like Morrissey view these icons as their friends and sources of guidance. He has been a follower of Lou since he was twelve. I'm not surprised in the slightest that he made such a (mildly) dramatic ode to him. Would you expect anything else? Would you?
I cannot read people's hearts, but I'm nearly positive that Morrissey's write-up was not an act of pseudo-grief, as you said. In this sick world, though, it's a burden and challenge to figure out what is sincere and what isn't.

I personally appreciate those who mourn Lou for the right reasons. He had a message: Be yourself. People followed it. Lives were changed. We're all happy. And now, we all mourn, and hope for the best for his family and friends.

Stay sane.

JIM M. X

Nailed it!

BrummieBoy,

Stay sane.

JIM M. X

What other way should he have left us ?

Benny-the-Butcher

Dozens of words follow.

BrummieBoy.

What are you on, mate? What on earth has the death of Lou Reed and a statement by Moz have anything to do with 'Big Medicine'? Please keep your synaptic mis-fires in your head and refrain from sharing them in any medium. Moz is an old Romantic and believes in the Romantic idea of 'the artist'. In these rather dull times we need artists more than ever. Moz is allowed to mourn the death of someone who fused 'art' with 'rock music' and transformed everything. Lou Reed deserves some mention at his passing - doesn't he?

Wow! Zero called BrummieBoy attacks Morrissey. Apparently for being too wordy and taking himself too seriously. And in so doing this ripe tw@t Brummie Boy serves up the biggest load of pretentious leaden tripe. Beyond irony.

I think I'll burn all of my Brummie Boy CD, DVDs and books. Oh, hang on, there aren't any. What a gold plated loser.

I love how BrummieBoy's obsession with hating Morrissey is so all-consuming that he can't even resist putting the boot into a simple statement from Moz expressing sorrow at the death of one of his idols/friends.
If BrummieBoy saw Morrissey walk down the street he'd immediately have to rush to So Low to post to the world how Morrissey was bending his knees all wrong, and his gait was awful.
Seriously, sort yourself out.

What are you on, mate? What on earth has the death of Lou Reed and a statement by Moz have anything to do with 'Big Medicine'? Please keep your synaptic mis-fires in your head and refrain from sharing them in any medium. Moz is an old Romantic and believes in the Romantic idea of 'the artist'. In these rather dull times we need artists more than ever. Moz is allowed to mourn the death of someone who fused 'art' with 'rock music' and transformed everything. Lou Reed deserves some mention at his passing - doesn't he?

We don't. We do not need artists to tell us what to think and do or not to think or do, like Annie Lennox recently did. We need that people stand up and speak for themselves and don't give a toss about what people like artists are saying.

Having said this, from the three interview clips that I have watched of Lou Reed he seemed to be amazingly serious, gave most honest answers to every question and did not just talk out of his arse, I think the English expression is. One of the people who asked him questions wasn't put down by him when he admitted that he didn't know many things, even though he was a musician himself, and Lou Reed just answered his questions. No stop signs, no PC, none of that garbage, a cut through to how things were. I am greatly unimpressed by the people whom Lou Reed so obviously inspired. It is understandable that somebody would thus mourn the real thing. Morrissey himself is not and never will be any substitute. Nor all the others. There are very few people who don't talk others after the mouth. Morrissey does. I was very insistant on not wanting to read Morrissey's autobiography, but I have by now for the major part, learned from my past mistakes and started at the end, eventually spent yesterday reading the beginning and right now I am left with wondering how long it will take until the "all things cats" threads will turn into bird threats. To give you an idea what I mean.

In regards to what I read about Lou Reed in the book and his death later on my own confirmation motto sprang to my mind "Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O Lord!" (Psalm 25).

Dozens of words follow.

BrummieBoy.

What a f***ing twat you are.

The depth of feeling you experience for the passing of someone you didn't know reflects the emotional investment you placed in their work or persona.

Lou Reed the man, was, by many accounts "difficult", which is code for a nasty piece of work. That didn't stop me loving a good proportion of his work, and it the loss of that aspect of him that saddens me. No tears from me, no rheumy eyed despondency. Just the thought that in a world where artistic talent is at a premium, we've lost someone who, when on form, could produce work of great merit.

As for the shock I've seen in some quarters, when you need to swap livers you are on the way out, dark insight of the societal underbelly or not.

If Mariah Carey drops dead today there are plenty of histrionic warblers who could take her place. There was only one Lou Reed, and that is the real pity.

As time's winged chariot rushes near, the Boomer frauds of punk/post-punk indie rock have their "Diana Moment" with absurd, grandriloguent displays of faux-grief about a man who, sadly, created hepatoxic death through hedonstic excess, although not all liver disease is thus attributable, it appears to have been a factor in the death of Lou Reed. History is re-written, the Velvet Underground were, apparently, all about Lou, with Cale and 'the other two' airbrushed from the revisionist re-write like they were just spare lawnmower parts.
Where have we seen THAT movie replayed?

"Notice me! It's not about Lou, it's about me, my memories, my saga, my diva drama! Oh, cruel world to betray me thus by sending the grim reaper to claim a 71 year old ex-drug addict and alcoholic!" As Morrissey sang so sincerely "Life is nothing much to lose". He did sing that, apparently without a trace of irony, and also "I don't mind dying, dark clouds in the daytime" or some such bosh. However, like Lou, Morrissey availed of hi-tech private medicine which is one of the benefits of 'celebrity wealth, power and status'.

Pointing out that homeless people die on the streets near the hospitals Lou and Morrissey use because they have no access even to diagnostic medicine, never mind transplant technologies, may disturb the lachrymose, but this is BrummieBoy. It's a Birmingham thing. We don't deal with poseurs. We're Peaky Blinders, we are 4 real. We are Mercia, not Manchester. Ask John Lydon about what happened at Bogarts.

Anyroads, Lou Reed's death is insignificant compared to the real tragedies of this planet, as Morrissey so 'famously' declared after the mass murder of Norwegian teenagers who did not get to reflect on their passing over months as Lou perhaps did. And Morrissey, as he flew from that loo in Peru to his concierge doctor in Hollywood no doubt counted his blessings at not having to do "Friday night in outpatients" at Lima General Hospital's emergency room.

"who said I lied to you? Stop me, oh, stop me!"

Stop yourself, mt8. Put a sock in it, bitch, FFS.

29 July 2011 MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...he-Norway-Massacre-true-to-you-net?page=14n't

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/conte...g-compared-to-the-actions-of-fast-food-chains

The depth of feeling you experience for the passing of someone you didn't know reflects the emotional investment you placed in their work or persona.

Lou Reed the man, was, by many accounts "difficult", which is code for a nasty piece of work. That didn't stop me loving a good proportion of his work, and it the loss of that aspect of him that saddens me. No tears from me, no rheumy eyed despondency. Just the thought that in a world where artistic talent is at a premium, we've lost someone who, when on form, could produce work of great merit.

As for the shock I've seen in some quarters, when you need to swap livers you are on the way out, dark insight of the societal underbelly or not.

If Mariah Carey drops dead today there are plenty of histrionic warblers who could take her place. There was only one Lou Reed, and that is the real pity.

But we are all unique, irreplaceable snowflakes sent down to earth to melt in our brief fall, how could God do such a thing to Morrissey. Don't worry, if Mariah croaks, Moz can replace her as histrionic warbler to the masses. It would be right and fitting, I mean, what has she done to deserve accolades for singing, writing, stagecraft, diva drama comedy and serious acting roles? No, she's a minor talent because she's a girl and doesn't tirelessly reference the cutting edge authors and auteurs who inform her visceral art. Mind you, she could let up on the "oh!" melisma stuff too. Though Moz yodelling is funnier, Mariah is also lulz. They shoud duet on a song in memory of Lou. "Perfect Day" ..again! Hey, let's re-release that Bono and BBC bloodbath and make it all for charidee, so homeless types don't rely on Bono throwing them a few thousand dollars for medical attention.

Now, let's all focus on Lou's collaboration with Metallica if we're going to seriously do a retrospective on his art. And "Metal Machine Music". I'm playing it now to cope with the cognitive dissonance of Morrissey's edict and the follow on commentary from his 'disciples/acolytes/cult casualties'. Whatever.

Of course we are all unique as creatures, and the value to society of plumbers, electricians and carpenters is in truth far greater than mere performers, but the reason Reed and others with similar talents are so regarded is that they are - to twist the language a little - "more" unique. If an asteroid hits the planet tomorrow few will cry "send for Radiohead!" You'd probably want a few bricklayers. Not that they'd turn up...

There are plenty of plumbers in my local Yellow Pages, but no Lou Reeds. Today even the New York Yellow Pages will need amending.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrummieTwit your comments and bile are uncalled for, unnecessary, unhelpful, and ultimately unintelligible. This is not the time or place for your poison. You are just giving the Moz Solo site a bad name, which it doesn't deserve.

Dozens of words follow.

BrummieBoy.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom