Old tracks, new version - should Morrissey release an album of re-recorded songs?

A

Anonymous

The new 2021 version of 'That's Entertainment' has got me thinking - do you think there is any mileage in Morrissey going back and re-doing any other old songs - whether that be replacing the original vocal line, or re-doing the instrumentation? Are there any tracks in the back catalogue that could do with a makeover, or even a complete top to bottom do-over?

Some random possible examples: maybe 'Jack the Ripper' remade into something closer to the live version? Coming up with new (more serious) lyrics for 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others'? A synth-heavy disco version of 'This is Not Your Country'?

Usually this is done when someone is at war with previous record companies and wants to own the masters of a rerecorded song so it could happen but it's not something I'd look forward to, not counting that "This Is Not Your Country" remake.
I have thought "Life Is A Pigsty" could be a huge dance track. Maybe he should contact Pet Shop Boys about this.

I would say no. I like it when those kinda things show up in live sets but I don’t think I’d want a whole recorded album. I’m generally not a fan of remixes either with exception. That said what sounds great succeeds so theres always a chance it could be good

Some remixes are very good but generally rerecorded songs are attempts to recapture something unique and that's impossible.

Usually this is done when someone is at war with previous record companies and wants to own the masters of a rerecorded song so it could happen but it's not something I'd look forward to, not counting that "This Is Not Your Country" remake.
I have thought "Life Is A Pigsty" could be a huge dance track. Maybe he should contact Pet Shop Boys about this.
LOVE that idea about "Pigsty"!

Why not? Could be a fun almost novelty album for hardcore fans, in between proper studio albums.

My answer is a definite no. Since Morrissey doesn't have a record contract and has difficulties getting one, who would release it? And if he gets a contract, why do a thing like this instead of an album with new material? Anyway, like The.Truth. pointed out, artists do these thing usually because of some record company wars -- like Taylor Swift is currently doing -- or because in electronic music it's much more common to remix or remake old songs with new sounds. But Moz is not a techno boffin.

we almost have this already with IM NOT MY TYPE which iv been listeng to on youtube,says its curated by mr reynolds so should be on here.some great remixes on that.

To answer the question:

No.

I am against fiddling and altering songs on re-issues of albums (eg the edits made to 'Late Night, Maudlin Street'), but as long as these are completely separate additions to the catalogue, rather than attempts to replace old songs, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Actually, the next time a greatest hits compilation album is due, it might at least provide some variety if Moz's current band re-recorded everything, rather than issue the same old studio version of 'Everyday is Like Sunday' for the 500th time. At least it would be something different, like Peel versions of Smiths songs back in the day.

Yes but only two songs . First of them is I'm playin easy to get - whathever to do with it so that it doesn't sound like a demo . This is amazing song and deserves for official release . Second one is Bobby don't You think they know - just remove Thelma Houston's vocals from it which is horrible .

My answer is a definite no. Since Morrissey doesn't have a record contract and has difficulties getting one, who would release it? And if he gets a contract, why do a thing like this instead of an album with new material? Anyway, like The.Truth. pointed out, artists do these thing usually because of some record company wars -- like Taylor Swift is currently doing -- or because in electronic music it's much more common to remix or remake old songs with new sounds. But Moz is not a techno boffin.
I bought "Best Of Sweet" at a discount store and it turned out to be new versions of some of their hits. For a while there were different versions of the band. I think two toured at the same time but one had the rights to be The Sweet or Sweet in the US and another could do it in UK and EU.
They were just trying to make a living and play their hits but it wasn't the same. At least Morrissey would still be the singer but imagine him making some "New Smiths" record. They could compete with "Johnny Marr's Smiths featuring Andy Rourke." At least we'd have something new to argue about.

John cales M fans was a pretty interesting reworking of music for a new society, a reworking of kill uncle would be neat if he did something like that. Bryan ferry’s bitter sweet album was also an interesting reinterpretation of older songs.

I'd love to hear EILS re-recorded with flamenco guitars and castanets. Maybe Gustavo can ad some words in spain. With all of it's northern englishness completely defregmented it would be pure world music, which is of course all of our business in 2021 and symbolizes the great cosmopolitan, that is Morrissey.

Last edited:
Who could ever forget the live version from a few years back, which surely deserves recording for posterity:

"Everyday is like quando
Win yourself a cheap quando
Share some greased quando with me
Everyday is quando and quando..."

Actually I could go for a whole album with all the hits given that treatment: Interesting Quando, November Spawned a Quando, The Last of the Famous International Quando's, etc.

No.

I was disappointed with Kate Bush's redone old songs - still listen, because I love her - but it wasn't needed.

Remastering some - or whatever they call it!! - might be good.

David Bowie's Never Let Me Down was awful till they took away some of the over-production.

If Morrissey wanted to re-imagine some of his songs, then in concert would be the best place (if touring is ever possible again).

Having said that, I wouldn't have minded some new mixes or edits on the reissue of Southpaw Grammar, but it wasn't to be.

Back
Top Bottom