Old tracks, new version - should Morrissey release an album of re-recorded songs?

Usually this is done when someone is at war with previous record companies and wants to own the masters of a rerecorded song so it could happen but it's not something I'd look forward to, not counting that "This Is Not Your Country" remake.
I have thought "Life Is A Pigsty" could be a huge dance track. Maybe he should contact Pet Shop Boys about this.

DJ Chill Uncle - Pigsty (The Truth Megamix) [PROMO]

I bought "Best Of Sweet" at a discount store and it turned out to be new versions of some of their hits. For a while there were different versions of the band. I think two toured at the same time but one had the rights to be The Sweet or Sweet in the US and another could do it in UK and EU.
They were just trying to make a living and play their hits but it wasn't the same. At least Morrissey would still be the singer but imagine him making some "New Smiths" record. They could compete with "Johnny Marr's Smiths featuring Andy Rourke." At least we'd have something new to argue about.
By chance, I thought of Sweet too. The original band members re-recorded Ballroom Blitz in 1988 for their 20 anniversary celebrations. Brian was in such a bad shape:

How should later reincarnations managed it even better? Never change the originals!

The new 2021 version of 'That's Entertainment' has got me thinking - do you think there is any mileage in Morrissey going back and re-doing any other old songs - whether that be replacing the original vocal line, or re-doing the instrumentation? Are there any tracks in the back catalogue that could do with a makeover, or even a complete top to bottom do-over?

Some random possible examples: maybe 'Jack the Ripper' remade into something closer to the live version? Coming up with new (more serious) lyrics for 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others'? A synth-heavy disco version of 'This is Not Your Country'?
It is a bit what The Wedding Present does. But it doesn't work out well..

How about an album of stripped-back acoustic versions? Or is that a bit too Status Quo?

The new 2021 version of 'That's Entertainment' has got me thinking - do you think there is any mileage in Morrissey going back and re-doing any other old songs - whether that be replacing the original vocal line, or re-doing the instrumentation? Are there any tracks in the back catalogue that could do with a makeover, or even a complete top to bottom do-over?

Some random possible examples: maybe 'Jack the Ripper' remade into something closer to the live version? Coming up with new (more serious) lyrics for 'Some Girls Are Bigger than Others'? A synth-heavy disco version of 'This is Not Your Country'?

I didn't get the point of the new That's Entertainment.
The OLD version was fantastic and the NEW version is fantastic... but he simply recorded again mostly the same thing. So I didn't get why he recorded it again, but I didn't dislike it either.
The new one sounds a bit like "alternative and identical version" of the old one.

OR MAYBE i am very tone deaf and they are very very different, but I don't see a radical change.

Strange versions of old classics would be nice if he wants to record them.... I would not mind.

yes lel

especially You were good in your time.

“You were goooooth in your tiiime,”

That “gooth” needs a nice hard D on the end.

Back
Top Bottom