Omega Auctions: "Day 1: Music Memorabilia / Day 2: Rare & Collectable Vinyl Records" (February 23-24, 2021)

3948-1.jpg

3947-1.jpg
3945-1.jpg

3944-1.jpg

3942-1.jpg

Some more interesting items surfacing for this 2 day auction.
This auction completely missed my notice - it's currently underway.
The 'Rough Trade Archive' video collection (broken up in to lots) looks like something absolutely worth having.
Quite a few bits featuring The Smiths too - posters, proofs etc.

3956-0.jpg
3952-0-min.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I remember him joking in a more recent interview that he has "at least two thousand" recordings of shows under his bed because every concert he does is filmed, which obviously isn't true.

I think he said he threw everything out after The Smiths ended (only keeping a letter he received from Alain Delon).
Jo Slee probably took care of most of the stuff when she was still around.

He doesn't seem to have a permanent residence these days, so I suppose whatever he's kept is locked away in storage. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Some bands also forget where they stored stuff, Jamie Oliver found some NO/Joy Division master tapes in the vaults of a Manchester bank he was turning into one of his restaurants.

Some bands also forget where they stored stuff, Jamie Oliver found some NO/Joy Division master tapes in the vaults of a Manchester bank he was turning into one of his restaurants.
That sounds like something that could happen with Morrissey as well.
Hopefully not with Jamie Oliver though 😬

Last edited:
Has ever been documented anywhere where he has stated he maintains anything approaching what an obsessed music fan would? I mean he, is admittedly so, but I also have never pictured Moz being a pack-rat or low-end hoarder.
I've never heard him say anything on the topic, though maybe @Famous when dead or @Ketamine Sun remembers. It concerns me only because I suspect that a personal collection would be better maintained than one kept by the various labels upon which Morrissey has released music. It's like...does Island really have all the Maladjusted sessions locked away safely or have they just been dumped and forgotten somewhere? I think about someone like Bob Dylan who's been on Columbia his entire career (except for Planet Waves) and is obviously considered a very valuable and high priority for the label. Morrissey's career is all over the place and most likely isn't accorded the same respect and diligence re: preservation, archives, etc.

Maybe Sam has some control over the personal stash now? Who knows. I wish Morrissey would sit down with a journalist and do an extensive, career-spanning interview about the music and the music only. There are so many little quirks and mysteries that could be illuminated.

Has ever been documented anywhere where he has stated he maintains anything approaching what an obsessed music fan would? I mean he, is admittedly so, but I also have never pictured Moz being a pack-rat or low-end hoarder.

I remember vaguely, him spinning some of his favorite records
on a early 80’s radio show.
Anyway Morrissey said he was embarrassed to confess that
he doesn’t really have a vast record collection just a stack of prized records, or something along those lines.

I don’t know if that really helps answer your question at all, but it seems, unlike other music fans, he doesn’t have the need to collect every format of a release from certain artists.
So, maybe that gives us some insight into any hoarding tendencies he may or may not have and a glimpse into seeing that he’s not very materialistic.

Edit, think it was this show...?
6 October 1984 - My Top Ten (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey top ten. Host Andy Peebles.

Last edited:
There's a couple of records/cassettes in with generic lots, but nothing of any particular interest in the lots scheduled for part 2 of the auction today.

Kudos to @joe frady who, I'm sure, is cleaning his tape heads as I type :)
Fingers crossed there's some gems in there for you.
Regards,
FWD.

Friend, you could eat your tofu off my tape heads: pristine :thumb:

However, the U-Matic 3/4" tapes í will have to source digitisation pathways.

Thanks FWD. Everything crossed here too, that í haven't bought a feast of static on plastic :pray:

Although, í must admit í was kinda quietly cursing your name yesterday when í saw you post the lot details here, mid-auction, and let the cat out of the bag. But only slightly. And in a friendly way.
All good now :flowers:

Last edited:
I remember vaguely, him spinning some of his favorite records
on a early 80’s radio show.
Anyway Morrissey said he was embarrassed to confess that
he doesn’t really have a vast record collection just a stack of prized records, or something along those lines.

I don’t know if that really helps answer your question at all, but it seems, unlike other music fans, he doesn’t have the need to collect every format of a release from certain artists.
So, maybe that gives us some insight into any hoarding tendencies he may or may not have and a glimpse into seeing that he’s not very materialistic.

Edit, think it was this show...?
6 October 1984 - My Top Ten (UK, BBC Radio One)
Morrissey top ten. Host Andy Peebles.
Melvis’ hoarding and whoring are restricted to vodka, Kerrygold, dad-jeans and vanity bumper stickers.

Your “interview” must be somewhere in that stack of relics from the brief period when people gave a shit about the Munsters.

Congratulations on winning the tapes! (you bastard, I think I was the second highest bidder for all three lots;)). Here’s my two cents on the content, just guesses of course:

451, 12 Identifiable of 14 (? Maybe 13) in lot:

• Shoreline Ampitheater (Oct 31st)
  • Concert In Dallas (Full Live In Dallas show, 67:00)
  • Seasick, Yet Still Docked
  • Morrissey Package (11/1/93) on 15 min tape
  • Morrissey Tour Demo (17/8/92) on 15 min tape
  • Morrissey Interview John Maybury (New Video Hour from 1986?)
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • You´re The One For Me, Fatty (2nd edit, final version)
  • Request Video (Interview w band, some sound-check vids June 91)
  • Raw Footage (fan press conference)
  • Our Frank version 2
  • Live In Dallas (stock)
  • Two (possibly one) unidentified

452, 3 Identifiable of 4 in lot:

• The Tonight Show
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • Morrissey Live 1991 (???) one of 91 shows shot by Tim or doc?
  • Live In Dallas (stock)

455, 8 Identifiable of 9 in lot:

• Morrissey Package
  • Morrissey In Dublin
  • Morrissey In Concert (London/Hammersmith 91)
  • New York July 91 (MSG) / LA November 91 (Westwood was prof. shot) / LA July 30 92 (can’t be right, no US show at this date)
  • Shoreline Ampitheater (Oct 31st)
  • Finsbury Park?(was prof. shot)
  • Tokyo December 1995 (prof. shot by James O’Brien)
  • Tomorrow
  • One unidentified (Madrid, McNab? Wrong case?)

Fair play AnnOminous! Commiserations. But no apologies ;)

í wondered who could be on the other end of that Bid Now button.

So, did you manage to get 453 & 454? Now that í see the winning prices on those, í think why didn't í go for them? But perhaps there was less competition on those, to up the price. As í mentioned, the lots í got were the 3 í wanted the most; 453/454 had less treasure, or stuff replicated elsewhere.

Very interesting guesswork on your list...

451:
- Still can't imagine what a January 1993 Morrissey Package could be, or even a Tour Demo from the previous Summer?

- The Morrissey John Maybury interview has me stumped. í too had thought it might be that MTV piece but, from the clip that í saw on YT, Moz never actually mentions Maybury by name; the uploader mentions him in their description in ref to the Jarman QiD films discussed. As far as í am aware, Moz was unaware of Maybury until Fachtna Ó Ceallaigh, his months-long manager at the time, brought him in as director on "Our Frank". FÓC had previously had hooked him up with Sinéad O'Connor quite successfully. {He also put him together with Juergen Teller, who had shot record covers & promo shots for Sinéad, for the wonderful Battersea promo shots in 1990}. Incidentally, regarding the QiD short film, to be frank, í doubt whether Moz even knew who Jarman was until one of the patchouli posse at Rough Trade had the brainwave; he pretty much confirms as much in that MTV clip}. Plus 1986 doesn't really fit with the time period of all the other items in the lot. Did Maybury shoot an interview with M., for "Kill Uncle" promo purposes? Did Moz interview Maybury for the directing gig, in Tim Broads mysterious absence? Has someone mislabelled a Miss Marple?

- í still have trouble believing that a full, or even extensive video recording of the debut solo concert could exist, without anything leaking out in 30 years? But stranger things have happened. í know the Much Music footage exists, cos í saw it, although í can't locate it at the moment, but í remember listening intently to the gig clips and noting the songs, then working out where those appeared on the set list.

- And what could "Our Frank" version ONE have been like, if all we have is #2 here?

452:
- Ditto from me, nowt to add.
Hoping that there may be further content details elsewhere on the Palace Tim Broad 3⁄4" Master Tape labelling, as it may be some time indeed before í am able to have this material transferred to viewable media.

í can't imagine that 'they' wouldn't have dubbed Tim's Master on to a VHS {as they have done with 'Dublin', in PAL and NTSC, and many of the other items in the lots}, so í am hoping that may be on one of the unidentified VHS tapes elsewhere in the haul 🤞

455:
- í had assumed the "In Concert" VHS was the ABC Live broadcast "In Concert" {introduced by Ringo Starr} of the Costa Mesa 1991 show? In part? Or in whole?

- Some pro-shot, or even Jo shot, MSG footage would be a treat. í know that Tim Broad was at least filming vérité footage of M., Linder & Alain departing in a vintage white Roller, but did he film the fun inside also? Never knew the Westwood was pro shot, no clue what the LA '92 could be, outside of misprint. All 3 items are on an E-120 🤔

- í had no idea that Finsbury Park was pro-shot, or that O'Brien shot Tokyo.

- í was hoping for an alternate "Tomorrow" {who isn't?}, and the Sunset Marquis "Joe" VHS was the one from 454 í miss most ~ that was more likely to be it. But an extra long "Tomorrow" might, in this instance only, be a treat?

- Madrid McNab has me stumped. Could be a pal of Jo Slee's holiday video...

My hoard should be here...'Tomorrow '...and í will pass on whatever other possible details that í can from the labelling.

As for viewing of the material, í am not currently residing with my VCR {it was a conscious separation and a very amicable split} but í do have occasional access to it, thus it may be some time before í can safely view the contents, and the condition of the media.

Well Played Ann. Happier Bidding next time {unless it's against me...}

ps ~ my credit rating says hello 👋 😥

So, did you manage to get 453 & 454? Now that í see the winning prices on those, í think why didn't í go for them? But perhaps there was less competition on those, to up the price. As í mentioned, the lots í got were the 3 í wanted the most; 453/454 had less treasure, or stuff replicated elsewhere.

451:
- Still can't imagine what a January 1993 Morrissey Package could be, or even a Tour Demo from the previous Summer?

- The Morrissey John Maybury interview has me stumped. í too had thought it might be that MTV piece but, from the clip that í saw on YT, Moz never actually mentions Maybury by name; the uploader mentions him in their description in ref to the Jarman QiD films discussed. As far as í am aware, Moz was unaware of Maybury until Fachtna Ó Ceallaigh, his months-long manager at the time, brought him in as director on "Our Frank". FÓC had previously had hooked him up with Sinéad O'Connor quite successfully. {He also put him together with Juergen Teller, who had shot record covers & promo shots for Sinéad, for the wonderful Battersea promo shots in 1990}. Incidentally, regarding the QiD short film, to be frank, í doubt whether Moz even knew who Jarman was until one of the patchouli posse at Rough Trade had the brainwave; he pretty much confirms as much in that MTV clip}. Plus 1986 doesn't really fit with the time period of all the other items in the lot. Did Maybury shoot an interview with M., for "Kill Uncle" promo purposes? Did Moz interview Maybury for the directing gig, in Tim Broads mysterious absence? Has someone mislabelled a Miss Marple?

- í still have trouble believing that a full, or even extensive video recording of the debut solo concert could exist, without anything leaking out in 30 years? But stranger things have happened. í know the Much Music footage exists, cos í saw it, although í can't locate it at the moment, but í remember listening intently to the gig clips and noting the songs, then working out where those appeared on the set list.

- And what could "Our Frank" version ONE have been like, if all we have is #2 here?

452:
Hoping that there may be further content details elsewhere on the Palace Tim Broad 3⁄4" Master Tape labelling, as it may be some time indeed before í am able to have this material transferred to viewable media.

í can't imagine that 'they' wouldn't have dubbed Tim's Master on to a VHS {as they have done with 'Dublin', in PAL and NTSC, and many of the other items in the lots}, so í am hoping that may be on one of the unidentified VHS tapes elsewhere in the haul 🤞

455:
- í had assumed the "In Concert" VHS was the ABC Live broadcast "In Concert" {introduced by Ringo Starr} of the Costa Mesa 1991 show? In part? Or in whole?

- Some pro-shot, or even Jo shot, MSG footage would be a treat. í know that Tim Broad was at least filming vérité footage of M., Linder & Alain departing in a vintage white Roller, but did he film the fun inside also? Never knew the Westwood was pro shot, no clue what the LA '92 could be, outside of misprint. All 3 items are on an E-120 🤔

- í was hoping for an alternate "Tomorrow" {who isn't?}, and the Sunset Marquis "Joe" VHS was the one from 454 í miss most ~ that was more likely to be it. But an extra long "Tomorrow" might, in this instance only, be a treat?

My hoard should be here...'Tomorrow '...and í will pass on whatever other possible details that í can from the labelling.

As for viewing of the material, í am not currently residing with my VCR {it was a conscious separation and a very amicable split} but í do have occasional access to it, thus it may be some time before í can safely view the contents, and the condition of the media.

I did get the two other lots. Nothing too interesting there (probably) but it’s a great addition to my video collection never the less. Getting the “full” Live In Dallas is nice. In my lots there was only one tape that I couldn’t identify (it hasn’t got any label on it) but I guess it’s just some TV-appearance. I’m not in the UK so it will be a while until I get the tapes.

The Maybury tape is weird. Would be interesting to find out what’s on that if you’d care to share.

I’m hoping the Tomorrow video I got is the version that’s not a single continuous shot of Moz. The version I have of that was recorded of MTV I think, so I need a better version. I would have loved the Tomorrow tape you got, would have made a nice pair.

I’m guessing the Morrissey “package” might be a compilation of TV-appearances or something like that. The “tour demo” might be more exciting.

Hope all tapes are in working order and that the content is fantastic! Even if I didn’t get them it’s nice to know that these shows are “out there” at least.

451:

452:

455:

@joe frady Would you let us know about the content once you managed to get through all those tapes?

@joe frady Would you let us know about the content once you managed to get through all those tapes?

Sure now, who else would í tell? My cats are singularly disinterested...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom