Omega Auctions: October auction contains potentially unheard material

I've only just got to this.

There are some really interesting cassettes listed in the auctions. Nerds assemble!

THE SMITHS - WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE/HAVE I - SMILE MUSIC LTD DEMO CASSETTE
What is the track Have I?

THE SMITHS - EDEN STUDIOS DEMO CASSETTE (BEFORE FIRST ALBUM)
Eden Studios was where the debut album was put together from the various studio sessions. Would the versions on the cassette be the same as the released versions of the album?

THE SMITHS - ASK REMIX - DEMO CASSETTE
There was only one version of Ask until 2001, but this cassette is dated 1986. I wonder what this is?

THE SMITHS - 'LIVE AT KILBURN' (RANK) - DEMO CASSETTES
Two 60 minute cassettes, but the runtime of Rank is 55 mins so maybe this has some of the other tracks?

THE SMITHS - MAYFAIR RECORDING STUDIOS DEMO CASSETTES
Two cassettes including remixes of Half a Person. Probably subtly different from the released versions, but perhaps not.

THE SMITHS - OXFORD 1985 DEMO CASSETTE (BBC FINAL MIXES)
Never officially released but some high quality bootlegs exist. I don't recall if the bootlegs included all songs from this gig.

THE SMITHS - HOW SOON IS NOW - DEMO CASSETTE
Includes an instrumental, which hasn't been released has it?

THE SMITHS - THE SMITHS - ORIGINAL TROY TATE SESSIONS DEMO CASSETTE
Ah... the pandora's box that is the Troy Tate sessions. Whatever this version is it's likely to be first gen and mixes that Troy Tate wanted Geoff to hear. Dare I say the 'definitive' version?

All the estimates are pretty reasonable. I'd love to hear some of these so wouldn't mind buying a few, but I have no interest in the artefact itself so perhaps there's a smart way of getting these into the hands of the masses?

Paging @Famous when dead.

Last edited:
I wonder if Moz actually thought it would be a good strategy in order to break The Smiths in America by having an American sing their songs?
Ugh. I hope not.

I wonder if Moz actually thought it would be a good strategy in order to break The Smiths in America by having an American sing their songs?

I thought the did ok in the US, their last 2 albums sold well and tours in 85/86 took in some decent sized venues.

If we take a look at the rest of the passage about her it becomes obvious that he probably liked her because she was a bit odd and looked like she came straight out of a John Waters film (years before the film was actually released!).

"‘It was comical,’ laughs Marr. ‘Morrissey knew more about her than we did, even though we had to endure playing behind it. She was very odd. She sang like Cicely Courtneidge, in a 16 year-old Barbara Windsor’s body.’
'I was a very freaky looking kid,’ Malone admits. ‘I was enormously fat and I had a big bouffant hair-do, all done up in 60s clothes. I looked a lot like Ricki Lake in Hairspray.’ As she confesses, the first take of ‘This Charming Man’, with Morrissey on backing vocals, was excruciating. [...]
The Amanda Malone single-that-almost-was would never be mentioned again, nor Morrissey’s imprudent and thankfully short-lived ambition to create a new pop idol under the umbrella of The Smiths. ‘I’ve got nothing but lovely memories,’ concludes Malone. ‘I was young and shy and they were just too charming. It’s one of those stories where someone could have made it big — had they had any talent!’"

🤒

Excuse me peeps.
but who in F has ever heard of an auction where the day before
the winning ticket is picked, it turns out the cassette didnt have Moz
on it but a 'chick':confused:
Nobody knew this. Not the FH rough trade troll or anyone else.:mad:
there is a rotten fish in denmark for sure:blushing:

Gonna be a few disappointed big spenders with these auctions. Besides the HSIN intrumental it looks like all of this stuff has either been officially released or leaked. Eden studio is mixing of the debut album. The half a persons "remixes" are just changes in S/N. Ask remix is the official version. Kilburn and Oxford likely are not complete since these are the BBC tapes.

I guess the question you would have to ask yourself is:

If you paid hundreds of pounds for one of these cassettes, would you have the nerve to attempt to create a digital copy knowing how easily even relatively new cassettes had a tendency to destroy themselves inside the tape player, let alone ones that have sat for decades in a box somewhere? I don't think I would :(

Not that I could justify these prices anyway. There clearly are some very affluent Smiths collectors out there. Perhaps I should sell off my small collection of Morrissey master tapes?

View attachment 58991
It would make sense to attempt it. If you can't play the cassette you're not even going to know what you bought and you would want to make a digital copy so you only have to play it once.

It would make sense to attempt it. If you can't play the cassette you're not even going to know what you bought and you would want to make a digital copy so you only have to play it once.
I don't think the dangers of recording a cassette from 1986 are all that great. I had a mish mash of tapes from the 80s which I digitised through an old walkman last year. There were no tape jams and all the recordings were still good quality.

The Amanda Malone single-that-almost-was would never be mentioned again, nor Morrissey’s imprudent and thankfully short-lived ambition to create a new pop idol under the umbrella of The Smiths. ‘I’ve got nothing but lovely memories,’ concludes Malone. ‘I was young and shy and they were just too charming. It’s one of those stories where someone could have made it big — had they had any talent!’"
Wow - I've never heard of this. I don't care how shite it is - I want to hear it. Stick it out as extra tracks on the next reissue, or issue it as a limited Record Store Day release!

I don't think the dangers of recording a cassette from 1986 are all that great. I had a mish mash of tapes from the 80s which I digitised through an old walkman last year. There were no tape jams and all the recordings were still good quality.

you mean, you didn’t have to bake your ancient cassettes to play them ?!

;)

Wow - I've never heard of this. I don't care how shite it is - I want to hear it. Stick it out as extra tracks on the next reissue, or issue it as a limited Record Store Day release!

hear hear ! :lbf:

🤒

Peeps keep an 👁 for the touts.:blushing:
the important expert said that this material is all available and leaked.🥁

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom