Pet Peeves Thread part 2

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
When people appeal to your kindness to manipulate something out of you.

I just took a friend of the family to Home Depot. She asked me to pick her up at the doctors office, I did, I told her I had to stop and pick up some things, she said "Well I'm just going to go in and get a soda because I'm thirsty." Okay, I'll meet you up front.

So I'm standing at one of those self-check kiosks buying my stuff and she walks up and says "Ohhhh you know how to work one of these things? Show me how? I need to buy this soda." Okay, I'll show you...when I'm done with my purchase. When it became clear to her that I wasn't going to show her by BUYING HER SODA FOR HER, she walked away and had a cashier ring her up. She didn't want to know how to work the register, she wanted me to buy her soda! THen she ditched me the second she wasn't getting something. AND she does this thing where she pretends like she's helpless and desperate and "woe is me" so that you'll give her stuff. Hate it. She's fun to be around and has hilarious stories, but manipulation ain't cool in my book. And the sad part was if she just asked me to buy her a soda, I would've bought her a flippin' soda. Just ask! What am I going to say? No? Not likely. But manipulate your way in and I'll throw you to the curb.

Last edited:
Re: Pet Peeves Thread 2013

Queue jumpers.
In public transports for instance, when people get out, I stand politely by the side to not block the way, and there's always a moron who thinks they've got a special pass to board that train, and disregards everyone else. Usually I let out an exasperated sound or comment, and usually, having headphones on like the utter retards they are, they don't even turn around.

Yesterday I had an ugly argument in a supermarket with some bimbo. I start queuing and she just overtakes me as if I wasn't even there, with a lofty air, as if she was Queen Latifah, or any other queen. (first name that pops in my head, her being black 'n all :D) I go "scuse me?" and explain I was first. She reacts as if I was losing my marbles, what's the big deal, and so on and so forth...I was the last person in the queue, there was noone else around, so I remark, didn't you SEE me? as it was obvious she'd done that on purpose. I'm small, granted, but invisible?

A normally intelligent person would have taken that as their cue to shut up. What does she do? She starts pretending she's talking to someone on her phone, and, like a nutter, she switches... to English :crazy: and recounts the incident, and I hear her calling me a beatch.:eek:. Poor thing.She didn't know I was dehydrated and hadn't eaten all day (hence my buying a soda in that supermarket on my way back from work at 4 PM-that's another thing that made me grumpy, I exceptionally had to work on a Wednesday afternoon.). I just murdered her on the spot. I yelled "Oh yeh? you're a f***ing bitch too, what do you think, that I can't understand English? f***ing DUMBASS!!!", then quietly proceeded to the frightened cashier and with much hello thank you have a nice afternoon, puchased my soda bottle, in deadly supermarket silence.

I just f***ing hate rude morons... And I usually let them know.:)

Last edited:

One time I got a new pair of glasses. I was a regular at this great used book store in a strip mall in Orange on Tustin Avenue called The Book Man. One day I was on my way to pick up some books and when I got there everyone at the counter (hindsight is 20/20) awkwardly told me they thought my frames were cute. I was beaming with pride that I picked out the right frames and went back to the canyon and told Evan. Somehow he let it slip that HE CALLED AND TOLD THEM TO TELL ME THEY WERE CUTE. So I have developed a rather elaborate pet peeve of insincerely being engaged with.

Spreading misinformation. On Dig Ocean's facebook page is this graphic. Almost 300 people liked it, 145 people shared it, several talked about it. It's not even REMOTELY close to being true. Annually less than 5 people die a year from shark attacks. ALL sharks, not just great whites.

10505579_711509125581861_373196414353040063_n.jpg

Spreading misinformation. On Dig Ocean's facebook page is this graphic. Almost 300 people liked it, 145 people shared it, several talked about it. It's not even REMOTELY close to being true. Annually less than 5 people die a year from shark attacks. ALL sharks, not just great whites.

10505579_711509125581861_373196414353040063_n.jpg

Read it again. ;)

Read it again. ;)

OMG I'm an idiot.

In my defense when I made that shocking discovery of misinformation I was nauseous and crabby that my backyard was wafting in the beautiful aroma of cat piss. I think piss is the theme today. :squiffy:

Last edited:

OMG I'm an idiot.

In my defense when I made that shocking discovery of misinformation I was nauseous and crabby that my backyard was wafting in the beautiful aroma of cat piss. I think piss is the theme today. :squiffy:

The daddy of epic fails

I hate the concept of a "True Fan." What constitutes a true fan? The extent of your record collection? THe amount of dollars spent? The amount of lyrics memorized? The amount of sycophancy? There's either fans or no fans. With the exception of Julia who turned queuing into a Life Quest/Art Form (I have admiration for people dedicated to one thing. That's her thing. I don't get it, but I can appreciate it.) I think people who abandon their families, take time off from work or off from society where they could be making contributions to better the world but who chose to STAND IN A LINE for several days to be in the front row to HOARD MORRISSEY'S AFFECTION for two measly hours are disturbed, selfish people. I can see doing it once or twice for yuks, but night after night after night? "But I'm a True Fan." True fans, ask yourself: How many hours would Morrissey stand in a line to see a band he liked. Half a day tops? As a grown ass man, how many hours would he stand in line to see a band he liked? Zero hours. UNLESS that band slapped his face with their titties and made him shoot the ceiling, maybe. But I seriously doubt he'd subject himself to anyone in exchange for comfort and civility in order to be considered a true anything. /endrant

* Today's technology. (This new tablet is driving me up a wall.)There's nothing I despise more, well, except for evil people.

* Cloud filled skies when a cool meteor shower is taking place.

* The unfortunate fact that Pluto isn't a planet anymore. A bunch of know-it-all knuckleheads had to play busybody and got Pluto stripped of its planetary status.

* All the fuss surrounding the Christmas day hacking of Sony play station and stupid X-box. Fury and panic everywhere as kids, teenagers, and adults melted down because their precious on-line gaming capabilities were sabotaged. So methodically stupid.

* The movement to eliminate the copper penny from the American monetary system. I like the penny.

* Timid dentistry. I've written about this before but it still frightens me when my dentist seems to be scared of his own dental instruments. I'd rather have my dentist be a cocksure, smug, pompous ass than a scaredy cat who's shivering and shaking the way Shaggy & Scooby always do, right after they've had an encounter with a ghost!

* Slow ass drivers. They have zero court awareness, not because they're stupid, but because they're selfish.

** Well, I guess I posted this on the Pet Peeves Thread 2013, my bad.

Last edited:

PACKAGING.
15519485063_2625af55e9_z.jpg

I just wrestled with this bag of felt pads for 5 minutes trying to get the sonuvabitch open. It's packaged in a resealable ziplock bag, what are these felt pads going to go stale? :squiffy:

Also don't even start me on blisterpak or whatever it's called. I've had wrap rage meltdowns on more than five occasions.

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/how-to-open-plastic-packaging-without-injuring-yourself/

The unfortunate fact that Pluto isn't a planet anymore. A bunch of know-it-all knuckleheads had to play busybody and got Pluto stripped of its planetary status.

and this. of course i think its cool to have new knowledge but it did break my romantic heart a bit

I must be high strung today because TWO of them hit me while doing laundry and cleaning the laundry room today. The first is I hate when people block a door and talk at me, tell a story, and there's no way to politely exit or walk away, you have to stand and listen. This lady is moving out and she just stood in the doorway talking about NOTHING on and on and on and on while blocking my passage out, I felt trapped like an animal.

The second is when people stand and loom over what I'm doing, but stand way too close. Same situation, in the laundry room transfering my clothes from washer to dryer and another tenant was watching hovering over me wanting me to talk to her about the wash machine. But she stood waaaaay too close and wouldn't back the f*** away.

I clearly have issues with touch and feeling trapped and I know exactly why and I have no idea how to help it. I need The Gentle Barn for humans. Actually I don't need anything, I'm good. I need to stop watching movies. :D Three more to go.

When people (think they) know everything and are unwavering.

I agree. I totally despise manipulators too. And I have also concluded that the manipulators who try to get you to feel sorry for them are the worst ones of all because you are nice to them out of sympathy and you know they're weak, but they will burn you the second they get the chance. The damsel in distress act is pathetic. The sad thing about people like that girl is there are more honest ways to get free drinks. They're are lots of freebie and gift card giveaways all the time. You just have to make the effort to find them, which is better than trying to use someone. Just the other day I got a free coffee from Chick-Fil-A (and no, I would never spend money there) and a free Coke from Ralphs and I got it for someone else as I don't drink GMOs.

Charm-manipulators are easier to see through. Once you see they have no interest in getting to know you, you know their game.

When people appeal to your kindness to manipulate something out of you.

I just took a friend of the family to Home Depot. She asked me to pick her up at the doctors office, I did, I told her I had to stop and pick up some things, she said "Well I'm just going to go in and get a soda because I'm thirsty." Okay, I'll meet you up front.

So I'm standing at one of those self-check kiosks buying my stuff and she walks up and says "Ohhhh you know how to work one of these things? Show me how? I need to buy this soda." Okay, I'll show you...when I'm done with my purchase. When it became clear to her that I wasn't going to show her by BUYING HER SODA FOR HER, she walked away and had a cashier ring her up. She didn't want to know how to work the register, she wanted me to buy her soda! THen she ditched me the second she wasn't getting something. AND she does this thing where she pretends like she's helpless and desperate and "woe is me" so that you'll give her stuff. Hate it. She's fun to be around and has hilarious stories, but manipulation ain't cool in my book. And the sad part was if she just asked me to buy her a soda, I would've bought her a flippin' soda. Just ask! What am I going to say? No? Not likely. But manipulate your way in and I'll throw you to the curb.

My mom, God bless her, has this feel sorry for me voice that she dips into and drives me nuts. She doesn't even know she's doing it and it's allowed her to get her way for 73 years, but I know it and it infuriates me. But I have to temper my infuriation and realize she won't be here forever and to not be bothered by it, BUT also not let it manipulate my day.

Back
Top Bottom