Professor Of Rock YT: "How A B-side Became The Anthem Of A Generation" (July 5, 2021)

Screenshot_20210805-171330~2.png

Another in the series, this time focusing on The Smiths' How Soon Is Now.
Regards,
FWD.

Related items:

Never been a fan, to be honest. It’s obviously a good and very cool song and all, but it’s never one I yearn to listen to. It’s not hard to understand why so many people like it, though.

Never been a fan, to be honest. It’s obviously a good and very cool song and all, but it’s never one I yearn to listen to. It’s not hard to understand why so many people like it, though.
Understood, the music is totally cool, but the lyrics are a bit of a let down.

worth a listen,didnt know the demo was called swamp,learn something new everyday.

I love this guy, I follow his channel. He’s REALLY into music. Like, REALLY into it. Can’t get enough of it.

Incredible song, amazing lyrics, just played to absolute death.

'How Soon Is Now', the least Smiths sounding song in their canon. The power of the song now totally diminished by it being pimped out by Morrissey and Marr to flog naff jeans and shit beer. The version by Russian pop muppets Tatu however is still glorious ... gloriously shit.

I grew up in a small midwestern town in the 1980s and the Smiths like gods to us. The Clash, U2.

How soon is now was the absolute holiest of holy.

This might sound a bit snobbish (it's not my intention) but it's a good non-Smiths fan's favourite Smiths song. It probably fits better on moody 80s playlists alongside The Cure etc more than any other Smiths song. I don't think it's bad by any means of course.

worth a listen,didnt know the demo was called swamp,learn something new everyday.
Really? Is that what Johnny called it or Morrissey?

I agree. Always sounded like a B side to me. Throw away riff and throw away lyrics. Despite that though the song has a feeling of drama that is very attractive.

Understood, the music is totally cool, but the lyrics are a bit of a let down.

I agree. Always sounded like a B side to me. Throw away riff and throw away lyrics. Despite that though the song has a feeling of drama that is very attractive.
I actually like the lyrics. They’re not the issue for me. They’re simple, sure, but timeless and incredibly important for any young person to hear. I don’t know, I guess it’s just that it sounds nothing like The Smiths, that it has no real, strong tune/melody, and that it’s quite…I don’t wanna say heavy handed…but…lumbering?

It's a perfect song.
The man of the video doesn't say much, but I liked it a lot... The song is a miracle.

And, yes, it's one of the strangest smiths songs (probably the other one is Meat is Murder).

It's a perfect song.
The man of the video doesn't say much, but I liked it a lot... The song is a miracle.

And, yes, it's one of the strangest smiths songs (probably the other one is Meat is Murder).
And Death of a Disco Dancer!

Most popular song with throw away lyrics would have to be Suedhead for me.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom