Radio 4: Johnny Marr to guest on 'The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed' (episode airs July 3, 2021)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29235
  • Start date
As Summer has arrived and the days are longer, Simon Armitage is heading down the garden path for a second series of The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed on Radio 4. Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, accompanied by his 12-string acoustic, will be Simon’s first guest.
The Poet Laureate Has Gone to His Shed begins Saturday 3 July at 7.15pm on Radio 4 and BBC Sounds.

MP3 file of the programme available here, I think for one week only:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they will talk about that Morrissey interview.

I wonder if they will talk about that Morrissey interview.

either that or BONFIRE OF TEENAGERS. Not much else worth talking about really.

:cool:

"Simon welcomes his visitors to talk about writing, music, art, sherry, the sounds of nature, philosophy, and to reflect on life and creativity.

As well as being full of plant pots and trowels the shed is the place where Simon is currently tackling the poetic form of haiku – tiny seventeen syllable poems often about nature or the seasons – and so each episode will feature a haiku written especially for that week’s guest."

:sleeping:

another :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: blog broadcast:handok:
i expect the sounds of nature is about exploding comets:hand:
:hammer:

I love Johnny to bits but around 10.30 in when he strums the chords to "Suffer Little Children" (magical to hear) and then says "...I must have had a lot on my mind" well yes but for anyone to claim or believe that that's the same as writing and singing lines over that backing like "Edward, see those alluring lights? / Tonight will be your very last night" is just...not how it works.

I love Johnny to bits but around 10.30 in when he strums the chords to "Suffer Little Children" (magical to hear) and then says "...I must have had a lot on my mind" well yes but for anyone to claim or believe that that's the same as writing and singing lines over that backing like "Edward, see those alluring lights? / Tonight will be your very last night" is just...not how it works.
If you can’t hear the complex, dark genius in that music - you’re missing half of the Smiths!

By the way, thanks for the MP3, this is a terrific artifact, a great memorandum of the times

And...William, right at the end. So, so good

Last edited:
Tags
bbc johnny marr radio 4

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom