Ramones Fans? I need some guidance

marred

If there are any Ramones aficionados about can you please tell me a quintessential album to listen to?

(I posted in the wring area, oops!)

Last edited:
Re: Ramones Fans? I need some guidance.

If there are any Ramones aficionados about can you please tell me a quintessential album to listen to?

Rocket To Russia is their third and best I think. Leave Home is pretty good, too, but Rocket To Russia was the breakthrough. I am not a fan though, so you might get recommendations for much later records from others. They did one with Phil Spector that is probably worth a listen.

Rocket To Russia is their third and best I think. Leave Home is pretty good, too, but Rocket To Russia was the breakthrough. I am not a fan though, so you might get recommendations for much later records from others. They did one with Phil Spector that is probably worth a listen.

Ok thanks I'll check it out.

The Ramones where always a working gigging band, It's Alive is always highly rated as a best live album by anyone ever, It's Alive, to get a sense of what The Ramones where all about....

*wrong

Desperate to appear punk now? You are cringe. Use Google and save embarrassing yourself even further.

You're a laughing stock.

I would suggest starting out with Anthology which covers their entire career. As for albums, first two (S/T and Leave Home) are golden. 3rd and 4th (Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin) are full of gems. Those first 4 albums are considered their best. Moz would probably agree. All the tracks he selected for his Ramones curated compilation came from the first four albums (I think). After those albums their label mandated that they use "celebrity" producers for the next three albums (End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams and Subterranean Jungle) so things get a bit wonky...at least to the purist. Don't get me wrong, these three are filled with mostly great tracks with a few clunkers in between. Personally, my favorite is Pleasant Dreams because there's a definite 60's pop sound on it. Not everyone would agree. Probably their last "good" album would be Too Tough to Die which was co-produced by their original drummer, Tommy Ramone. This was also the last album to get the remastering/deluxe treatment in the early 2000's. After that, the wheels did start to come off (IMO). All the really good tracks post Too Tough to Die can be found on disc 2 of Anthology.

two of my favorites

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom