Rank Morrissey's 21st century LPs

1. Years of Refusal (A)
2. You Are The Quarry (A-)
3. World Peace is None of Your Business (B)
4. Ringleader of the Tormentors (B-)
5. Low in High School (C+)
6. California Son (C)
7. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain (D-)

1) You Are The Quarry
2) Ringleader Of The Tormentors
3) World Peace Is None Of Your Business ( should be re-issued with all 18 tracks on one CD with different tracks order . Maybe with a different cover, although I like the one with the dog . I have a lot of fondness for this album. Great songs and unforgettable tour, especially the one in Warsaw :p )
4) Years Of Refusal
5)* I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
- Low In High School
- California Son

* Ex aequo

Honestly all these albums are excellent. Each in its own way.

1. You Are The Quarry
2. Ringleader of the Tormentors
3. I am Not a Dog on a Chain
4. Low in High School
5. World Peace is None of Your Business
6. Years of Refusal
7. California Son

1. Quarry
  2. I'm not a Dog on a Chain
  3. California Son
  4. Years of Refusal
  5. Ringleader of the Tormentors
  6. Low in High School
  7. World Peace
Everyone album has it moments but Quarry holds the "most" consistently good songs in my opinion. I also really like California Son as to me, this is the most melodic (utilization of his masterful voice) where's he truly singing/crooning throughout. I must say 'once i saw the river clean" is amongst the "best of the best" stand alone songs from any solo album.

I'd also love to hear him sing "forgive someone" live, I don't think he's ever played it live?

Last edited:
1. Refusal
2. Ring
3. Dog
4. Peace
5. Low
6. Quarry

edit: Son is great but it's not a Morrissey album. Only albums written by Morrissey shall be included.

Last edited:
1 - World Peace Is None Of Your Business
2 - Ringleader Of The Tormentors
3 - Years Of Refusal
4 - You Are The Quarry
5 - I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
6 - Low In High School

1. Refusal
2. Ring
3. Dog
4. Peace
5. Low
6. Quarry

edit: Son is great but it's not a Morrissey album. Only albums written by Morrissey shall be included.

Agree with you on Quarry, dude, right down at the bottom there. The most over-rated album of all time?

1- Years of refusal 8.5/10
2- You are the quarry 8.5/10
3- Ringleader of the tormentors 8/10
4- World Peace is none of your business 7.5/10
5- California son 6.5/10
6- I am not a dog on a chain 5.5/10
7- Low in high school 4.5/10

Something like that. Didn't like low in high school much and only like about half of the new one, really enjoy the rest. See a lot of hate for years of refusal but I think it's great.

Updated Ranking:

1. You are the quarry... 115 points
2. World peace is none... 102 points
3. I am not a dog... 99 points
4. Ringleader... 80 points
5. Years of refusal... 78 points
6. Low in high school... 61 points

Agree with you on Quarry, dude, right down at the bottom there. The most over-rated album of all time?
Certainly the most overrated album of Morrissey's career.

You Are The Quarry
I Am Not Dog On A Chain
California Son
World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Low In High School

Ringleader Of The Tormentors/Years Of Refusal

1- Years of refusal 8.5/10
2- You are the quarry 8.5/10
3- Ringleader of the tormentors 8/10
4- World Peace is none of your business 7.5/10
5- California son 6.5/10
6- I am not a dog on a chain 5.5/10
7- Low in high school 4.5/10

Something like that. Didn't like low in high school much and only like about half of the new one, really enjoy the rest. See a lot of hate for years of refusal but I think it's great.
Years of Refusal is so unappreciated. I don't get it.
I see it as part of trilogy. Starting with Your Arsenal, then Southpaw Grammar and ending with Years Of Refusal.

1. I am nt a dog on a chain
2 You are the quarry
3. World peace is none of your business
4. Years of refusal
5. Ringleader of the tormentos
6. Low in high school

The first 3 are close calls: 3 albums that actually surprised me upon arrival, whether it was the joy of him returning in good form after a hiatus of 7 years (quarry), reinventing himself with a more diverse musical sound (World peace), or coming out with a great tribute to 80s music (where it all started for him and for me) at a time when you finally think you don't need him anymore.

YOR and ROTT are also pretty close: both enjoyable albums that have their moments. I listened to YOR today: really great singing voice and drumming. I would add California Son to this category.

LIHS had some great songs, but was overall disappointing. It definitely had his worst lyrics and too many heavy / borderline bombastic tracks.

1. I am nt a dog on a chain
2 You are the quarry
3. World peace is none of your business
4. Years of refusal
5. Ringleader of the tormentos
6. Low in high school

The first 3 are close calls: 3 albums that actually surprised me upon arrival, whether it was the joy of him returning in good form after a hiatus of 7 years (quarry), reinventing himself with a more diverse musical sound (World peace), or coming out with a great tribute to 80s music (where it all started for him and for me) at a time when you finally think you don't need him anymore.

YOR and ROTT are also pretty close: both enjoyable albums that have their moments. I listened to YOR today: really great singing voice and drumming. I would add California Son to this category.

LIHS had some great songs, but was overall disappointing. It definitely had his worst lyrics and too many heavy / borderline bombastic tracks.
This is a great thread because it reveals we all have quite different opinions when it comes to his post Maladjusted output. Some put Refusal at the top and some put Quarry at the bottom. Well I did anyway. As far as bad songs and lyrics go I nominate America Is Not The World. It sounds like it was written by a high school kid. The music is good but wtf happened?

Updated ranking:

1. You are the quarry... 137 points
2. I am not a dog... 119 points
3. World peace... 113 points
4. Ringleader… 94 points
5. Years of refusal… 89 points
6. Low in high school... 68 points

Back
Top Bottom