Rank the 9 Morrissey solo compilation albums

A

Anonymous

How would you rank the 9 main Morrissey solo compilation albums?:
  • 'Bona Drag' (1990)
  • 'World of Morrissey (1995)
  • 'Suedehead - The Best of Morrissey' (1997)
  • 'My Early Burglary Years' (1998)
  • 'The Best Of!' (2001)
  • 'Greatest Hits' (2008)
  • 'Swords' (2009)
  • 'Very Best Of' (2011)
  • 'This is Morrissey' (2018)

1. Swords
2. BD
3. MEBY
4. The Best Of
5. Suedehead
6. World
7. Very best of
8. TIM
9. GH

Only Swords, BD and MEBY are essential, really.

1. Swords
2. BD
3. MEBY
4. The Best Of
5. Suedehead
6. World
7. Very best of
8. TIM
9. GH

Only Swords, BD and MEBY are essential, really.

I've not really given much attention to most of these as there's a lot of duplication, but Swords is brilliant, Bona Drag (2010 version), & Suedehead are regulars for me. I noticed the other day there are apparently 2 versions of Swords, one with 18 tracks (the one I have) & another (possibly US version) which has 20 tracks (two additional tracks being Slum Mums and Human Being).

Last edited by a moderator:
1 bona drag
2 suedehead
3 best of
4 very best of
5 this is
6 world of
7 my early burglary years
8 greatest hits
9 swords

I've not really given much attention to most of these as there's a lot of duplication, but Swords is brilliant, Bona Drag (2010 version), & Suedehead are regulars for me. I noticed the other day there are apparently 2 versions of Swords, one with 18 tracks (the one I have) & another (possibly US version) which has 20 tracks (two additional tracks being Slum Mums and Human Being).
Really? I think Public Image is one of his finest songs of the 21st century, and never grasped why it was excluded from Swords. And apparently it’s not even one of the bonus tracks. Unbelievable.

I noticed the other day there are apparently 2 versions of Swords, one with 18 tracks (the one I have) & another (possibly US version) which has 20 tracks (two additional tracks being Slum Mums and Human Being).

These 2 extra tracks are only available on a digital version. There's also a 2 disc version with the second disc featuring tracks recorded live in Warsaw.

How would you rank the 9 main Morrissey solo compilation albums?:
  • 'Bona Drag' (1990)
  • 'World of Morrissey (1995)
  • 'Suedehead - The Best of Morrissey' (1997)
  • 'My Early Burglary Years' (1998)
  • 'The Best Of!' (2001)
  • 'Greatest Hits' (2008)
  • 'Swords' (2009)
  • 'Very Best Of' (2011)
  • 'This is Morrissey' (2018)

This list is missing the most comprehensive compilation The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88-'95.
Only that and Swords are essential.
However, Swords is missing 7 studio b-sides and 3 Janice Long session-only songs. All the live b-sides from the early 2000's are excluded, except the inferior cover of Drive-in Saturday, which has no business being on Swords.

Really? I think Public Image is one of his finest songs of the 21st century, and never grasped why it was excluded from Swords. And apparently it’s not even one of the bonus tracks. Unbelievable.

I didn't mention Public Image but I agree it's a great track.
I don't know if it appears on any official release, but I found it in Jackpots NHS stuff in the YATQ era.

As to the other poster below, I agree Drive In has no place on Swords. I always skip that track...& yes the Parlophone stuff should have maybe been part of this ranking list too....on that one, I'd have ditched Cosmic Dancer, plus x1 Moonriver, and x2 Interludes.

I didn't mention Public Image but I agree it's a great track.
I don't know if it appears on any official release, but I found it in Jackpots NHS stuff in the YATQ era.

As to the other poster below, I agree Drive In has no place on Swords. I always skip that track...& yes the Parlophone stuff should have maybe been part of this ranking list too....on that one, I'd have ditched Cosmic Dancer, plus x1 Moonriver, and x2 Interludes.
I know, just wanted to mention it since it’s so appalling that a version with a few bonus tracks exist, yet TBI is still excluded. First released as a b-side to I Have Forgiven Jesus, btw.

And yes, the Parlophone box set is essential. Amazing compilation.

I know, just wanted to mention it since it’s so appalling that a version with a few bonus tracks exist, yet TBI is still excluded.

And yes, the Parlophone box set is essential. Amazing compilation.

TPI?

With the help of resources available on here, mainly, I put my own compilation together of rare, b-side/unreleased-ish stuff:

01 Kit
02 Old 'billy Tune (unused Alain Whyte demo)
03 The Kid's A Looker (Studio In Session)
04 Safe Warm Lancashire Home
05 Satellite Of Love (Nobel Peace Prize performance)
06 Striptease With A Difference
07 You Must Please Remember (Qonox edit)
08 The Bed Took Fire
09 Born to Hang (first leak)
10 Get Back To The Ghetto (Ganglord demo)
11 Trash (Pacific Amphitheater live b-side)
12 You Must Please Remember
13 Striptease With A Difference (alternate mix)
14 Let The Right One Slip In (alternate mix)
15 Born To Hang
16 It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small (early version)
17 Mexico
18 I Am Two People
19 You Say You Don't Love Me (Wireless 02 fest live)
20 The Public Image
21 Noise is the Best Revenge (Janice Long session)
22 I'm Playing Easy To Get (Janice Long session)
23 By The Time I Get To Wherever I'm Going
24 Blue Dreamers Eyes
25 A Song From Under The Floorboards
26 No One Can Hold A Candle To You
27 Action Is My Middle Name
28 The Slum Mums
29 People Are The Same Everywhere (Nobel Peace Prize performance)
30 Subway Train,Munich Air Disaster 1958 (live)
31 November The Second

Most of this is available though Jackpot's NHS stuff, & his recent My Beloved Alcoholic Saint (MBAS) stuff is good too.
Guy has too much time on his hands for my liking ;)

It’s also a unique edit of The Slum Mums, with a slightly different intro or outro to the original version from the I Have Forgiven Jesus single.

This list is missing the most comprehensive compilation The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88-'95.
Being a pedant I'm not sure that really counts as a 'compilation album' as such, does it? It's a box set of singles.

Being a pedant I'm not sure that really counts as a 'compilation album' as such, does it? It's a box set of singles.

It has also been available as a 3-cd compilation with all the singles with their b-sides lined back to back. I own that and infinitely prefer that to a singles box set, which might be a nice object but very impractical.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In 2009, a two cd compilation edition was released.

1. 'Bona Drag'
2. 'Swords'
3. 'My Early Burglary Years'
4. 'The Best Of!'
5. 'Greatest Hits'
6. 'Very Best Of'
7. 'This is Morrissey'
8. 'World of Morrissey '
9. 'Suedehead - The Best of Morrissey'

'Greatest Hits' , 'Very Best Of' and 'This is Morrissey' have beautiful covers . Especially " 'Greatest Hits' :hearteyes:

'Greatest Hits' , 'Very Best Of' and 'This is Morrissey' have beautiful covers . Especially " 'Greatest Hits' :hearteyes:
[/QUOTE]

«This is Morrissey« is definitely the best cover of his entire solo career.
His worst album cover has to be «World of Morrissey»

Back
Top Bottom