Rank the tracks on IANADOAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

Once I Saw The River Clean
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
Jim Jim Falls
My Hurling Days Are Done
Love Is On The Way Out
I Am Not A Dog on a Chain
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?
The Truth About Ruth
Knockabout World
The Secret of Music

GOOD

My Hurling Days Are Done
Jim Jim Falls
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
I Am Not A Dog on a Chain
The Truth About Ruth

BAD
Love Is On The Way Out
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?
Knockabout World
The Secret of Music

Arf, from favourite to least at the mo!

1) I am not a dog on a chain
2) Darling, I hug a pillow
3) My Hurling days
4) Love is on its way out
5) Once I saw the river clean
6) Knockabout World
7) What kind of people live in these houses
8) The Truth about Ruth
9) Jim Jim falls
10) Bobby
What was he thinking) The secret of music

I'll give the album a 6.5 overall. Leaving the worst two songs off would have been significant addition by subtraction. "Houses" is like a more aimless, shapeless "Teenage Dad" and "Knockabout" is probably one of his worst ever. More of the jagged electro from "Jim Jim" would've been welcome in the second half.

Very strong:

Once I Saw the River Clean
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
Jim Jim Falls
My Hurling Days Are Done

Pretty Decent:

Love Is On Its Way Out
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
The Truth About Ruth

What the hell?:

Darling, I Hug A Pillow
The Secret of Music
What Kind of People Live in These Houses
Knockabout World

1. What Kind of People Live in These Houses? - A cracking track with classic jangly-guitars and fiercely witty lyrics. One of his best ever!
2. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Some very clever quips following a stream-of-consciousness-esque portrayal. Music gives me Kill Uncle vibes.
3. Once I Saw the River Clean - Great blend of electronica accompanied with nostalgic imagery.
4. My Hurling Days Are Done - Fantastic closer. A simple ballad with strong emotional vigor.
5. The Truth About Ruth - A solid Moz track that builds with complexity as the song stretches on.
6. Jim Jim Falls - Killer opener with unexpected electronic beats. It's Moz meets Pet Shop Boys and it's great!
7. The Secret of Music - Radical avant-garde meditation with interesting lyrical and musical experimentation.
8. Love is on Its Way Out - Haunting musical arrangements with a bloody fantastic ending section of euphoric melodrama.
9. Darling, I Hug a Pillow - A pretty basic track with some interesting lyrics but, overall, could've had more depth.
10. Knockabout World - It had a lot of potential musically, but overall a very weak lyric. I loved the ending section tough!
11. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - Lazy lyrics and overly-long for what it set out to do, but some interesting musical elements.

Last edited:
After just the first listen, this order may and probably will change:

Jim Jim Falls - Same comment for both of these, I wish I’d heard them before the live versions as I kept expecting the pacing of the live versions and may prefer them. But I like them, the electronic stuff works. I kind of wish the fiddle was a bit more prominent on River but they’re really good.

I Am Not a Dog on a Chain - Very catchy. The lyrics are a bit naff (what’s new) but they’re sort of charming in their own way.

My Hurling Days are Done - Just a quality little song.

What Kind of People Live in These Houses - Prefer the music over the lyrics. Sometimes I was like “ok I kind of get the point now”, could have been a little shorter but I like it.

Love is on its Way Out - this one grew on me as I suspect the others will. I love his vocal melody.

Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know - I think his and Thelma’s voices dance really well around each other. Lovely instrumentals. Lyrics are bland.

The Truth About Ruth - Weird little song, a bit cringey though.

Knockabout World - Eh, catchy enough but..lyrics.

Darling, I Hug a Pillow - Found it pretty repetitive. Normally Morrissey’s vocal melodies have been unrivalled. Even when his lyrics fail he usually creates a beautiful instrument out of his voice. Not here.

The Secret of Music - I don’t hate it. It’s not as “weird” as some people made it out to be - there is much, much stranger and more adventurous music out there. But it just kind of dragged.

imho, but
Jim Jim Falls - 7.5/10
Love Is On Its Way Out - 6/10
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 3/10
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 6.5/10
What Kind of People Live In These Houses? - 5/10
Knockabout World - 2.5/10
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - 7/10
Once I Saw The River Clean - 8.5/10
The Truth About Ruth - 6/10
The Secret Of Music - unexpectedly good instrumentals, 8/10
My Hurling Days Are Done - 7/10

lyrics are mostly good or pretty good (like in Jim Jim Falls & Once I Saw The River Clean), but lack of vocals acrobatics that could be heard in 'Low In High School' (Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage & Never Again Will I Be A Twin) is a bit of disappointment. overall, suddenly good album with some catchy instrumentals and good lyrics, 7.5/10

Jim Jim Falls - 8/10
Love Is On Its Way Out - 7/10
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - 7/10
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - 8/10
What Kind of People Live In These Houses? - 8/10
Knockabout World - 7/10
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - 8/10
Once I Saw The River Clean - 8/10
The Truth About Ruth - 5/10
The Secret Of Music - 7/10
My Hurling Days Are Done - 8/10
Overall 8.5
Very strong album

After just the first listen, this order may and probably will change:

Jim Jim Falls - Same comment for both of these, I wish I’d heard them before the live versions as I kept expecting the pacing of the live versions and may prefer them. But I like them, the electronic stuff works. I kind of wish the fiddle was a bit more prominent on River but they’re really good.

I Am Not a Dog on a Chain - Very catchy. The lyrics are a bit naff (what’s new) but they’re sort of charming in their own way.

My Hurling Days are Done - Just a quality little song.

What Kind of People Live in These Houses - Prefer the music over the lyrics. Sometimes I was like “ok I kind of get the point now”, could have been a little shorter but I like it.

Love is on its Way Out - this one grew on me as I suspect the others will. I love his vocal melody.

Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know - I think his and Thelma’s voices dance really well around each other. Lovely instrumentals. Lyrics are bland.

The Truth About Ruth - Weird little song, a bit cringey though.

Knockabout World - Eh, catchy enough but..lyrics.

Darling, I Hug a Pillow - Found it pretty repetitive. Normally Morrissey’s vocal melodies have been unrivalled. Even when his lyrics fail he usually creates a beautiful instrument out of his voice. Not here.

The Secret of Music - I don’t hate it. It’s not as “weird” as some people made it out to be - there is much, much stranger and more adventurous music out there. But it just kind of dragged.

I actually agreed with all of this, especially what you say about the live versions vs studio for ‘Jim, Jim falls’ & ‘River clean’. Disappointing, but they’ll probably grow on me.

My Hurling Days made me cry (also gin). Childhood is such a complete world & it feels eternal & then you grow up & get on the conveyor belt of death.

I pretty much agree with Ugly Devil.

The only redeeming thing about ‘Darling, I hug a pillow’ is the ending part with Moz singing “ohh Darling I” otherwise I’d probably skip it.

‘The truth about Ruth’ has a lot more depth than I was expecting. I thought it was going to be another ‘In your lap’.

where are people hearing all these songs or have I missed a leak.
doggy on a chain is the best woof woof.

where are people hearing all these songs or have I missed a leak.
doggy on a chain is the best woof woof.

There's a thread with a download of the whole album on it.

It's very catchy.

There's a thread with a download of the whole album on it.

It's very catchy.
just got it ner,jim jim sounds fantastic,in for a treat I think.

After multiple listens I actually really like ‘The secret of music’. I like the grove, I like the quirky lyrics. His voice sounds incredible. And there’s enough going on musically to keep me interested. But I can understand why a lot of fans won’t like it. It is very different and pretty much the opposite of a traditional Moz song. But I like different, every now and then.

Is anyone else’s tracks skipping a bit at the beginning? It is it just my crappy Wifi.

My Hurling Days made me shed a tear last night too. Beautiful track.

After listening through the album once:

Jim Jim Falls - Energetic opener, like the twist at the end "if you're gonna sing then sing" has a Sing Your Life feel message wise - 8/10
Love Is On Its Way Out - Lyrically not great but we all love the final third of the son- 7/10
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - This was my favourite of the singles. Really enjoy the almost jazzy nature of the track and Thelma was a shock at first but doesn't feel out of place to my ears - 8/10
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Definitely get Kill Uncle vibea from this one. Either a grower or one that will fade, time will tell - 7/10
What Kind of People Live In These Houses? The best song Billy Bragg never wrote - 9/10
Knockabout World - Hated it at first but its a nice little ditty if easily thrown away - 6/10
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - I don't really get on with the melody on this one and the lyrics don't do much for me - 5/10
Once I Saw The River Clean - Irish folk delivery over 80s synth is pretty neat and unexpected. Danceable and lyrically very interesting - 9/10
The Truth About Ruth - I hated this on first listen, particularly the first half of the song. Sounds like something from a musical, and not in a good way - 4/10
The Secret Of Music - silly lyrics, good instrumental that deviates from anything I'd expect on a Morrissey record. It lasts too long though - 5/10
My Hurling Days Are Done - beautiful track, took me to a place I haven't been to when listening to a song for a long time - 9/10

After multiple listens I actually really like ‘The secret of music’. I like the grove, I like the quirky lyrics. His voice sounds incredible. And there’s enough going on musically to keep me interested. But I can understand why a lot of fans won’t like it. It is very different and pretty much the opposite of a traditional Moz song. But I like different, every now and then.
im with you,dont understand all the negativity.going to the boozer later will listen to the whole thing over a few pints.

Is anyone else’s tracks skipping a bit at the beginning? It is it just my crappy Wifi.
no its fine.just redownload it.

Back
Top Bottom