Rank the tracks on IANADOAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
Once I Saw The River Clean
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?
Jim Jim Falls
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
I Am Not A Dog on a Chain
Love Is On The Way Out
Knockabout World
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
My Hurling Days Are Done
The Truth About Ruth
The Secret of Music

My Top 3 :

1. My Hurling Days Are Done - from 3:13 ... I feel a shiver down my spine. ?

2. Jim Jim Falls - I love the way he sings " then for God's sake "

3. Love Is On Its Way Out - ? & ?

I Am Not A Dog on Chain
The Secret of Music
My Hurling Days Are Done
Jim Jim Falls
Darling I Hug A Pillow
What kind of people...
Knockabout World
Love is on its way Out
The Truth About John
Bobby Don’t you think..

1 MY HURLING DAYS,???THE BEST LLORE...
2 ONCE I SAW...
3 JIM JIM...
4 IANADOAC
5 THE SECRET OF MUSIC ,,RARISIMO Y BUENO!!!
6 WHAT KIND....
7 LOVE IS ON THE WAY OUT
8 KNOCKABOUT
9 BOBBY...
10 THE TRHUT.....
11 DARLING...
NO RECUERDO ENTRE EL 10 Y EL 11 ,PERO EL PEOR ES EL QUE TIENE TROMPETAS ESTILO MARIACHIS, CREO QUE ARRUINA EL TEMA ,NO MARIACHIS?

I cried a lot with my hurling...as i happened with several of Vauxhall with several quarry and arsenal,the secret of...it is very rare, very instrumental, that song from what i see is the most beloved
The album is 9 /10,,very happy
For those who do not like the secret of music try listening to it with a beer or something similar....and then tell me !!!!????????

I haven’t given my two cents on it yet so I will now. I don’t see the point in giving numerical track ratings.

Jim Jim Falls - A really strong opener and it reminds me of an older song, solo or Smiths, I can’t quite tell. When the “If you’re gonna...” part kicks in, really makes my brain feel like I’ve heard it somewhere before. In any case, love this song.

Love Is On Its Way Out - It was an instant ear worm the moment I heard it and it remains that way, can’t fault this song at all.

Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - I don’t like the duet vocals and feel it would benefit greatly as a b-side just with Morrissey’s vox. Musically it’s wonderful.

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - The vocal delivery is strange, in a good way, and not what I expected it to sound like. Very quirky and very likeable.

What Kind of People Live In These Houses? - Akin to Jim Jim Falls, it reminds me of something from the past. I love the delivery and how the song kind of... floats. I love this one.

Knockabout World - I’ve seen a bit of criticism towards this one, but I actually really like it, especially given the current climate. The “you’re OK by me refrain” is very uplifting and I’d love to hear it done live. Yet another one that reminds me of an older song.

Darling, I Hug A Pillow - I don’t hate it, but the “why can’t you give me physical love?” lines seem forced and out of place. I feel the lyrics could have been a lot better.

Once I Saw The River Clean - Essentially this album’s “Home Is A Question Mark”. Just delightful in all regards.

The Truth About Ruth - I’ve listened to it, but I can’t remember much of it, which says a lot. Throwaway track as far as I’m concerned.

The Secret Of Music - I dissed it at first, but after a few listens in the car I’ve come to appreciate the experimental nature of it. A tad too long, but not all bad.

My Hurling Days Are Done - A stunner and a heartbreaking way to end the album. When the kids come in and start the “mama and teddy bear” line I feel very vulnerable emotionally.

While I won’t give a score to the tracks, I will rank them from favourite to least:

1) My Hurling Days Are Done
2) Once I Saw The River Clean
3) Jim Jim Falls
4) Love Is On Its Way Out
5) I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
6) What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?
7) Knockabout World
8) Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?
9) Darling, I Hug A Pillow
10) The Secret Of Music
11) The Truth About Ruth

I like the way the vocal is unexpectedly bouncy and how it moves all over the place reinforcing the theme of being free and roaming

i'm f***ing loving this album!! can't listen to it enough! ranking the tracks would be difficult but i'll give it a shot (just my subjective opinion and preference), these rankings will probably change as i replay the album over and over again tho lol

i am not a dog on a chain
once i saw the river clean
jim jim falls
my hurling days are done
what kind of people live in these houses?
knockabout world
the truth about ruth
bobby dont you think they know
the secret of music
love is on its way out
darling, i hug a pillow

1. Once I Saw The River Clean -- Moz goes synth-pop, now that is something I thought I'd never hear. Great lyrics too. 9/10
2. Love Is On Its Way Out -- another synth-poppy track with a great crescendo 8.5/10
3. My Hurling Days Are Done -- a lovely closer with a similar theme and sentiment to Oboe Concerto, but this is a stronger song 8.5/10
4. Jim Jim Falls -- somebody suggested that this could also be interpreted as a self-ironic dig at Moz himself, which really opened my eyes. A strong chorus, but yet something is missing, perhaps a game-changing middle eight 8/10
5. Knockabout World -- a good track and once again the song progresses nicely with some surprises in store 7.5/10

-- here is where the quality drops --

6. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? -- an okay melody, but just not very interesting, with some forced wordplay 6/10
7. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain -- musically this is okay, but the self-righteous way of declaring that only Moz knows what goes on is irksome. And some truly terrible lyrics here ("fleece"/"niece" -- does he even have one?) 5.5/10
8. Darling, I Hug A Pillow -- lovely lyrics, but the song is a miss 5/10
9. Secret Of Music -- I somehow like the idea of putting avant-garde drivel like this on your 13th solo album. It has grown on me a lot. 5/10
10. Bobby, Don't You Know They Know -- the more I listen to it, the less I like it. A total mess. 4/10
11. Truth About Ruth -- this album's In Your Lap, a tuneless and meandering "arty" dirge. 2/10

1. Once I Saw The River Clean -- Moz goes synth-pop, now that is something I thought I'd never hear. Great lyrics too. 9/10
2. Love Is On Its Way Out -- another synth-poppy track with a great crescendo 8.5/10
3. My Hurling Days Are Done -- a lovely closer with a similar theme and sentiment to Oboe Concerto, but this is a stronger song 8.5/10
4. Jim Jim Falls -- somebody suggested that this could also be interpreted as a self-ironic dig at Moz himself, which really opened my eyes. A strong chorus, but yet something is missing, perhaps a game-changing middle eight 8/10
5. Knockabout World -- a good track and once again the song progresses nicely with some surprises in store 7.5/10

-- here is where the quality drops --

6. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses? -- an okay melody, but just not very interesting, with some forced wordplay 6/10
7. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain -- musically this is okay, but the self-righteous way of declaring that only Moz knows what goes on is irksome. And some truly terrible lyrics here ("fleece"/"niece" -- does he even have one?) 5.5/10
8. Darling, I Hug A Pillow -- lovely lyrics, but the song is a miss 5/10
9. Secret Of Music -- I somehow like the idea of putting avant-garde drivel like this on your 13th solo album. It has grown on me a lot. 5/10
10. Bobby, Don't You Know They Know -- the more I listen to it, the less I like it. A total mess. 4/10
11. Truth About Ruth -- this album's In Your Lap, a tuneless and meandering "arty" dirge. 2/10
Nice review Aldritch and I feel I'm going to agree with you (yet to get album).
I do love Bobby though - think it's an absolute corker.

I cried a lot with my hurling...as i happened with several of Vauxhall with several quarry and arsenal,the secret of...it is very rare, very instrumental, that song from what i see is the most beloved
The album is 9 /10,,very happy
For those who do not like the secret of music try listening to it with a beer or something similar....and then tell me !!!!????????

Do you mean,we must drink beer and become drunk to like this music?you are right.I don't like the music,but if i get drunk i will love it.The problem is i don't like beer either.

Jim Jim Falls
The album starts off with a b-side. Not a Morrissey-style hidden gem b-side, but an actual b-side. I think they wanted to open with a controversial bang, but ultimately it’s a minor track. Glib lyrics –– music and vocal melody are just OK. I realized the beauty of Jim Jim Falls in Australia, so thanks for that.
5.5/10

Love Is On Its Way Out
Nice vocal melody and decent lyrics, sung with conviction –– would’ve been a better album opener. Never tire of the “elephants and lions” bit. Swells to a chest pounding finish that works very well live. Tracks like this show Morrissey still definitely has it at 60.
6.5/10

One of Morrissey’s better duets, I guess. Gets about as down and dirty as you’ll ever hear from Moz, particularly after the 3:30 mark when it wigs out –– for a minute you’re transported to the late 60s/early 70s. Houston is into it. It’s grown on me –– one of the better tracks to blast loud. Players deserve a hand. What’s the consensus on who it’s about (or rather, an almalgamation of autobiographical + who?).
7/10

I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
The title track is part of that prominent genre within Morrissey’s discography — “middle finger to the world,” you could call it. Whimsical, percolating music and late 80s vocal melody has a Kill Uncle feel, almost teasing to become rockabilly, with a Who-lite break and a big last third before it goes miniature again. I don’t get the “Because of my niece” lyric? A worthy title track, indeed.
7.5/10

What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
Superficially the most Smithsian song, but the later Once I Saw the River Clean is the true heir apparent. Lovely vocal melody and some funny couplets that surely fans want to sing along to. Some pleasing acoustic and slide guitar (makes me miss Alain). Solid album track.
7/10

Knockabout World
Alongside Morrissey’s screes, this is a softer, poppy, extremely 80s-infused song. Even the title feels anachronistic. How many other new wave bands (that Morrissey always despised) does it quote, musically? Lol. Goes brassy at one point. A well-crafted feelgood song but kind of shallow. Haters might stop trying to resist it so much.
7/10

Darling, I Hug a Pillow
Living in Japan, the title of this track was perfect. From Tom Jones trumpeting, to the parping, electroclash refrain of “Why can’t you give me some physical love?” (who’s the female backing vocal?), to super slide guitar, to Mexican influences, to a sad piano outro –– one of the nuttier tracks Morrissey has put out in the past 20 years, and very good for it. Mando doesn’t have many co-writes, but Home is a Question Mark was a fantastic one, and this is pretty awesome too.
8/10

Once I Saw the River Clean
Despite claims of how much Morrissey has changed, I believe there’s a thread in everything Morrissey does which runs back through The Smiths and long before that. Once in a while a solo track feels like it actually could’ve been by The Smiths. This one does, musically and especially lyrically. It weaves together a specific place and time, pop culture (Metal Guru!), family, combative emotion. It could have fit well on Strangeways. Music is like something from a great unearthed 80s new wave track with a surprising shot of violin late in. Jesse Tobias, you’ve been bashed a lot of the years, but holy shit take a big bow. Morrissey solo par excellence!
9/10

The Truth About Ruth
One of Morrissey’s ultra-theatrical tracks. Reminds me a lot of something off of Maladjusted. Impassioned vocals and nice string work from Gustavo. Impressive, but not a track you take to heart.
5.5/10

The Secret of Music
The title of this track is so tantalizing. I thought it was going to be a timeless manifesto on why Morrissey has married music and will die with it. It’s actually a slightly bizarre free-form art track. It belongs with stuff like Sweetie Pie. Top marks for experimental effort but ultimately will skip this track a lot. Maybe it plays better if you’re high, or if it was the soundtrack for an animated film with anthropoid instruments.
4.5/10

My Hurling Days are Done
Has that wistful, sweeping album closer feel. In the vein of The Never Played Symphonies (a song dear to me). Nice backing vocals. The “Mama, and teddy bear” lyric is equally goofy and heartfelt. So few pop artists can walk that line, especially nowadays. “Time will send you an invoice,” indeed.
8/10

Song average comes out to 6.86/10 but I’d round that up to 7.5/10 for the overall album experience. There is still plenty in the well, kids…

Jim Jim Falls
The album starts off with a b-side. Not a Morrissey-style hidden gem b-side, but an actual b-side. I think they wanted to open with a controversial bang, but ultimately it’s a minor track. Glib lyrics –– music and vocal melody are just OK. I realized the beauty of Jim Jim Falls in Australia, so thanks for that.
5.5/10

Love Is On Its Way Out
Nice vocal melody and decent lyrics, sung with conviction –– would’ve been a better album opener. Never tire of the “elephants and lions” bit. Swells to a chest pounding finish that works very well live. Tracks like this show Morrissey still definitely has it at 60.
6.5/10

One of Morrissey’s better duets, I guess. Gets about as down and dirty as you’ll ever hear from Moz, particularly after the 3:30 mark when it wigs out –– for a minute you’re transported to the late 60s/early 70s. Houston is into it. It’s grown on me –– one of the better tracks to blast loud. Players deserve a hand. What’s the consensus on who it’s about (or rather, an almalgamation of autobiographical + who?).
7/10

The title track is part of that prominent genre within Morrissey’s discography — “middle finger to the world,” you could call it. Whimsical, percolating music and late 80s vocal melody has a Kill Uncle feel, almost teasing to become rockabilly, with a Who-lite break and a big last third before it goes miniature again. I don’t get the “Because of my niece” lyric? A worthy title track, indeed.
7.5/10

Superficially the most Smithsian song, but the later Once I Saw the River Clean is the true heir apparent. Lovely vocal melody and some funny couplets that surely fans want to sing along to. Some pleasing acoustic and slide guitar (makes me miss Alain). Solid album track.
7/10

Knockabout World
Alongside Morrissey’s screes, this is a softer, poppy, extremely 80s-infused song. Even the title feels anachronistic. How many other new wave bands (that Morrissey always despised) does it quote, musically? Lol. Goes brassy at one point. A well-crafted feelgood song but kind of shallow. Haters might stop trying to resist it so much.
7/10

Darling, I Hug a Pillow
Living in Japan, the title of this track was perfect. From Tom Jones trumpeting, to the parping, electroclash refrain of “Why can’t you give me some physical love?” (who’s the female backing vocal?), to super slide guitar, to Mexican influences, to a sad piano outro –– one of the nuttier tracks Morrissey has put out in the past 20 years, and very good for it. Mando doesn’t have many co-writes, but Home is a Question Mark was a fantastic one, and this is pretty awesome too.
8/10

Despite claims of how much Morrissey has changed, I believe there’s a thread in everything Morrissey does which runs back through The Smiths and long before that. Once in a while a solo track feels like it actually could’ve been by The Smiths. This one does, musically and especially lyrically. It weaves together a specific place and time, pop culture (Metal Guru!), family, combative emotion. It could have fit well on Strangeways. Music is like something from a great unearthed 80s new wave track with a surprising shot of violin late in. Jesse Tobias, you’ve been bashed a lot of the years, but holy shit take a big bow. Morrissey solo par excellence!
9/10

The Truth About Ruth
One of Morrissey’s ultra-theatrical tracks. Reminds me a lot of something off of Maladjusted. Impassioned vocals and nice string work from Gustavo. Impressive, but not a track you take to heart.
5.5/10

The Secret of Music
The title of this track is so tantalizing. I thought it was going to be a timeless manifesto on why Morrissey has married music and will die with it. It’s actually a slightly bizarre free-form art track. It belongs with stuff like Sweetie Pie. Top marks for experimental effort but ultimately will skip this track a lot. Maybe it plays better if you’re high, or if it was the soundtrack for an animated film with anthropoid instruments.
4.5/10

My Hurling Days are Done
Has that wistful, sweeping album closer feel. In the vein of The Never Played Symphonies (a song dear to me). Nice backing vocals. The “Mama, and teddy bear” lyric is equally goofy and heartfelt. So few pop artists can walk that line, especially nowadays. “Time will send you an invoice,” indeed.
8/10

Song average comes out to 6.86/10 but I’d round that up to 7.5/10 for the overall album experience. There is still plenty in the well, kids…

Thanks for a good read. Anyway, I think one can't really count an average of any album (which you didn't really do), because an album is always something more or less than the sum of its parts. If the album has four short interludes, rating them would just pointlessly harm the overall rating.

For me this is one of his stronger ‘bookended’ albums for a long long time. Still won’t buy it though.

Weakest song:
Jim Jim Falls (awful drums)

Unnecessarily long (and boring), not bad but it could be better:
The secret of music

Lazy, repetitive lyrics (ultimately forgettable), but still nice to listen to:
Love is on its way out
Knockabout world

Just ok, average, but pleasant:
Bobby
The truth about Ruth

Very Good:
What kind of people
Darling I hug a pillow
Once I saw the river

Instant Classics:
I am not a dog on a chain
My hurling days are done

Last edited:
I Once Saw The River Clean ( another reason Morrissey is one of the best melodic vocalists of all time, second only maybe to McCartney)
Jim Jim Falls (Best opener of his solo career not counting Picadilly Palare)
Love Is On The Way Out ( love the production and mood elevated by the lyrics and Moz's delivery)
Title track (Lyrics and the playfulness which enhances overall theme here)
Bobby, Do You Think They Know ( This near senior citizen duet bops more than any duet by performers half there age in the last couple years)
Knockabout World (Like they lyrics and this sounds better in context of album. Grew on me)
What Kind Of People Love In These Houses
My Hurting Days Are Done
Truth About Ruth
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Secret About Music

Last edited:
Jim Jim Falls
Love Is On The Way Out
My Hurling Days Are Done
I Am Not A Dog on a Chain
The Truth About Ruth
The Secret of Music
Knockabout World
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
Darling, I Hug A Pillow

I'll bump Jim Jim Falls up .5 to 6 -- the forward propulsion of the music has grown on me (but as another user mentioned, I don't like the drums either).

Full point added to My Hurling Days Are Done, ranking it equally with the superb Once I Saw the River Clean. Looking back over the album closers from Quarry onward, I'd say this is easily the best.

I love the album. Still thinking about where it ranks among Morrissey's solo discography. It's pretty high, especially post-Quarry.

Jim Jim Falls
5.5/10

Love Is On Its Way Out
6.5/10

7/10

7.5/10

7/10

Knockabout World
7/10

Darling, I Hug a Pillow
8/10

9/10

The Truth About Ruth
5.5/10

The Secret of Music
4.5/10

My Hurling Days are Done
8/10

Once I saw the river clean
Jim Jim falls
Knock about world
Bobby don't you think they know "love the backing vocals.
What kinda people
Dog on a chain
Love is on the way out
Hurling days
Truth about Ruth
Secret of music
Hug a pillow
Every songs good. Love the sound sonically.

1 my hurling days are done
2 what kind of people live in these houses
3 darling i hug a pillow
4 knockabout world
5 once i saw the river clean
6 jim jim falls
7 bobby, don’t you think they know
8 love is on its way out
9 i am not a dog on a chain
10 the truth about ruth
11 the secret of music

Back