Rank the tracks on IANADOAC

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I see Darling ranked quite low on a lot of lists. What is it you guys don't like about it?

Conversely, River is at the top or close to the top on many lists. Deservedly so -- I don't use "instant classic" much but it's one of the best tracks Morrissey has put out since 2004, and sits comfortably high in the whole discography.

I see Darling ranked quite low on a lot of lists. What is it you guys don't like about it?
I don't dislike it, but I think it's one of the weaker tracks. Lyrically it doesn't really develop or go anywhere (the most interesting lines on the lyric sheet Morrissey doesn't actually sing in the final take), and musically it largely sits in the same place, with both the verses and chorus stuck on the same chord. It's only really the trumpets that add any musical excitement, otherwise it's just a static chill-out track. Which is fine - just not terribly exciting compared to everything else going on in the album.

But then I thought 'I'm Not Sorry' was the dullest track on 'You Are the Quarry', and this has a similar languid feel.

I don't dislike it, but I think it's one of the weaker tracks. Lyrically it doesn't really develop or go anywhere (the most interesting lines on the lyric sheet Morrissey doesn't actually sing in the final take), and musically it largely sits in the same place, with both the verses and chorus stuck on the same chord. It's only really the trumpets that add any musical excitement, otherwise it's just a static chill-out track. Which is fine - just not terribly exciting compared to everything else going on in the album.

But then I thought 'I'm Not Sorry' was the dullest track on 'You Are the Quarry', and this has a similar languid feel.

Yeah, I always thought I'm Not Sorry was rubbish. So weak, melodically. It had some flute - big deal!
I've only listened to the new album about 4 times and Pillow seems a bit of a mess. Quite disjointed lyrically and musically.
But it may well improve - it does have a kind of lushness about it.
The 'physical love' line gets repeated a lot. Maybe that should have been the title.

Classics:

Once I Saw The River Clean
My Hurling Days Are Gone

Wonderful:

Jim Jim Falls
Bobby Don't You Think They Know
Love Is On Its Way Out

Meh:

Knockabout World
The Truth About Ruth
What Kind of People Live In These Houses

Yuck:

The Secret Of Music
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain

Last edited:

The music is godawful. It's so stodgy I can't even make it to the end of the song.

Conversely, River is at the top or close to the top on many lists. Deservedly so -- I don't use "instant classic" much but it's one of the best tracks Morrissey has put out since 2004, and sits comfortably high in the whole discography.

Agreed: River is one of the best of the best in every way. His vocals on this song are perfection.

Haha, fair enough.
Darling is shambolic to the nth degree, and that appealed to me I guess.

But yeah, if someone rated River low I'd question their fandom.

The music is godawful. It's so stodgy I can't even make it to the end of the song.

Agreed: River is one of the best of the best in every way. His vocals on this song are perfection.

I’m actually surprised you didn’t like The Secret of Music. In fact, out of most people on this site - id have picked you as one who’d champion it

Haha, fair enough.
Darling is shambolic to the nth degree, and that appealed to me I guess.

But yeah, if someone rated River low I'd question their fandom.

Honestly, I've been skipping The Secret of Music a lot since I got the album but I should give it more of a chance. I'll reassess it.

Repeating myself a bit but the song's title was simple but very evocative –– I expected something heartfelt about Morrissey's lifelong relationship with records/performing .Faint praise, but it'd make a good soundtrack for an experimental film or animation about instruments. Any takers?

I’m actually surprised you didn’t like The Secret of Music. In fact, out of most people on this site - id have picked you as one who’d champion it

Whenever he says mama and teddy bear I can only think of Sebastian and Aloysius now

1. Once I Saw The River Clean
2. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses
3. Love Is On Its Way Out
4. Jim Jim Falls
5. My Hurling Days Are Done
6. Knockabout World
7. Darling, I Hug A Pillow
8. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain
9. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know
10. The Secret Of Music
11. The Truth About Ruth

1.My Hurling Days Are Done ( only Speedway is a better " closer " )

2.Jim Jim Falls
3. Love Is on Its Way Out
4. Once I Saw the River Clean ( with every next listening it grew a lot )
4. Knockabout World
5. The Secret of Music
6. What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
7. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
8. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? ( very good lyric , great instrumental parts but this female singer :squiffy: . If not for her it should be several positions higher )
9. Darling, I Hug a Pillow
10. The Truth About Ruth

Upon many more listens:

My Hurling Days Are Done
Once I Saw the River Clean
Jim Jim Falls
Darling I Hug a Pillow
The Secret of Music
Love is on its way out
Knockabout World
I Am Not a Dog on a
What Kind of people....
The Truth about Ruth
Bobby Don’t you think they know (Houston is the problem)

Upon many more listens:

My Hurling Days Are Done
Once I Saw the River Clean
Jim Jim Falls
Darling I Hug a Pillow
The Secret of Music
Love is on its way out
Knockabout World
I Am Not a Dog on a
What Kind of people....
The Truth about Ruth
Bobby Don’t you think they know (Houston is the problem)
The more I listen to album I don't think it's Thelma Houston that sounds kinda 'out of place' it's the song as a whole, it's unlike anything he's ever done before and would probably have worked better as a stand alone physical single as a prelude to the album, kinda like Chain Gang was with California Son.

1. My Hurling Days Are Done (masterful)
2. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? (thrilling)
3. Once I Saw the River Clean (powerful)
4. Knockabout World (uplifting)
5. Darling, I Hug a Pillow (evocative)
6. What Kind of People Live in These Houses? (nostalgic)
7. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain (disjointed)
8. Jim Jim Falls (crass)
9. Love Is on Its Way Out (lazy)
10. The Truth About Ruth (dull)
11. The Secret of Music (misguided)

1. My Hurling Days Are Done (masterful)
2. Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? (thrilling)
3. Once I Saw the River Clean (powerful)
4. Knockabout World (uplifting)
5. Darling, I Hug a Pillow (evocative)
6. What Kind of People Live in These Houses? (nostalgic)
7. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain (disjointed)
8. Jim Jim Falls (crass)
9. Love Is on Its Way Out (lazy)
10. The Truth About Ruth (dull)
11. The Secret of Music (misguided)

Nice descriptions, George. I agree with a lot of them especially Bobby. Thrilling indeed!
Jim Jim Falls is a cracking piece of music but the words are all over the place.
I do think 'Love is on its way out' is a corker though. Love the way the music swirls and ebbs.

Once I Saw The River Clean
What Kind of People Live in these Houses?
Jim Jim Falls
My Hurling Days Are Done
Love Is On The Way Out
I Am Not A Dog on a Chain
Darling, I Hug A Pillow
Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know?
The Truth About Ruth
Knockabout World
The Secret of Music

Very similar to you here. This is a very good album to me. I have listened to it 10x more than low in high school and world peace combined. It reminds me of bona drag era production and song mix for some reason.

1. Once I Saw The River Clean - A BANGER, that honestly should have been the lead

2. Jim Jim Falls, electroclash excellence

3. Darling, Hug I a Pillow, enjoyable love song

4. Knockabout World, a bouncy cute pop song but it’s lyrics could’ve been better

5. My Hurting Days Are Done, very nice closer

6. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses, very nostalgia track

7. I Am Not a Dog on a Chain, kind of funny

8. The Truth About Ruth, very good vocals

9. Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know, meh

10. Love Is On It’s Way Out, the production on this is not great...

11. The Secret Of Music, BORING

Very similar to you here. This is a very good album to me. I have listened to it 10x more than low in high school and world peace combined. It reminds me of bona drag era production and song mix for some reason.

this old dog feels more “viva hate” to me which its mix of upbeat pop & alternative rock tbh

Back
Top Bottom