Revisiting "Your Arsenal" 27 Years On - New Article on Eject Music by Fiona Dodwell

"After a string of superb one-off single releases throughout 1989 and 1990, Morrissey began working on Your Arsenal,"

She totally skipped over mentioning "Kill Uncle."

Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris and Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

I see this as the same effort to get a different result when you search for Fiona Dodwell and Morrissey. They're not stupid. Just paid to do a job.

Last edited:
Well the problem with this is that it is tainted in having been written by Morrissey's best friend on the payroll. It stinks of diversion from the current controversies. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if the Genesis of this smoke-blowing was "Hey, Fiona - here's a few quid - go write something to divert and take off the heat for a while. There's a good lass"

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris an Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

I see this as the same effort to get a different result when you search for Fiona Dodwell and Morrissey. They're not stupid. Just paid to do a job.

Yeah, we need to stick to the integrity of real journalism and objective well thought out and insightful pieces such as The Guardian and NME"s articles about random 23 yr old who crossed out his Morrissey tattoo:handfist:

Last edited:
All those people searching for dodwell and Morrissey...

Is there an app you can get that alerts you when something highly disagreeable (in Skinny's world) is posted on this site? If not...then he has undoubtedly got some strange/bizzare/cranky habits.

Saying that,, when you watch live in Dallas some of them song from kill uncle were very good in a live setting
True, but that is because they sound almost nothing like they do on the album.

GOOD ARTICLE BY FIONA:thumb::rock::thumb:

YA IS BETTER THAN ALL THE RAGGEDY NO AND:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: SUCKO ALBUMS PUT TOGETHER!!:smile:

I'll tell you what's going on here. Remember when Boris Johnson was interviewed and he said his favourite hobby was making model London Buses? That was a genius stroke. Because now when someone searches for Boris an Bus they'll get that, rather that the £350 million per week lie on the side of the Brexit bus.

Was it worth typing that shit?o_O

Your arsenal at number 4?? I thought it got to number 1. ?? Well I wonder what the top 3 albums were, and more-interestingly were are they now??? Anyone know?

Kill Uncle is mentioned in the article.

And "Your Arsenal, as a musical project, seemed to be shouting from the rooftops: "I am here. I am staying. I have something to say.""

This part is bang on. Your Arsenal was the album that confirmed that Morrissey was going to have a solo career when many had written him off.

What upset me was that he didn't have the personnel providing the tunes. I think Morrisseys voice needs an electric guitar providing that. His voice was made for that lovely guitar sound. It melded. He needs a player like Johnny to bring out the best in him. He might think he can sing to anything but he needs that guitar sound again. It's what suits him. Simple guitar playing. No overdrive. Lovely luscious chords. It brings out the best in his voice.

He needs a player like Johnny to bring out the best in him.‘
o_O

Then why was Morrissey only able to have hits after Marr?

:cool:

First solo album was epic - songs partly written whilst Smiths still existed perhaps and have gorgeous Vini Reilly music and guitars all over them.

Kill Uncle and Nevin co-written singles were much weaker and poorly produced, could not go up against The Stone Roses, James or Happy Monday’s sound of ‘89-91, sadly.

Your Arsenal was do or die, if it had been weak he was over, he has said so himself. He pulled it out of the bag, a stone dead classic.

We do not really need an “impartial Journalist” to tell us this. Especially when they gloss over “National Front Disco” lyrics that look very concerning in light of last 3 years of statements. I know it’s a lightweight amusing song but it does fortell the future somewhat. To my memory he was never challenged on it at the time and journalists assumed he was writing as an observer or “in character.” That assumption would not be made now.

You cannot trust Dodwell, she’s a Morrissey staffer!

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom