Riot Fest vendor mocks Morrissey with meat-filled sandwich

Riot Fest Vendor Mocks Morrissey With Meat-Filled Sandwich - DNAInfo Chicago

By Mina Bloom | October 14, 2016 6:05pm

Excerpt:

LOGAN SQUARE — Riot Fest vendor and local business Puffs of Doom is speaking out against what they described as "ridiculous" treatment by musician Morrissey and his management at the music fest last month by launching the "Pork Morrissey" sandwich.

The sandwich, which is filled with heaps of pork, cheese and bacon, was created to mock the former Smiths lead singer — a known vegan — for forcing all Riot Fest vendors to stop selling meat during his set, according to Luke Petillon, co-owner of Puffs of Doom.

39208_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, I think this is kind of funny. I respect that Morrissey is a voice for animals and doesn't eat meat, but I agree with these vendors that people going to his concert should have a choice. Paul McCartney is a advocate of PETA and a vegan, and has vegan options for his band and crew while touring, but he doesn't force the venues to sell only vegan options where he plays, nor does he have to show slaughterhouse footage during his shows to drive the point home.

I think it's kinda pompous of Morrissey to pull that.

No. Not pompous at all. People have a choice. Go there or if they can't be without their meat, not only for 1 and half hour, don't go there. Moz chooses the venues on his conditions. If they are not willing to agree on them there is no contract and no Moz.

I think if you really start digging in you will find that a big majority of them agree. I'd say 90 percent.
They, the venues, are calculating and apparently they'd rather have Moz without the meat, than meat without the Moz. :p

And, they are not crazy. They know it is an issue that is a concern to much more people than in the past. They adjust. There is another reason.

Many of the venues that rely on concerts and all other musical, or artistic performances, need the money, and prices of tickets for life music are so much higher cause that's the only way musicians can earn some money after internet has decreased their income from recorded music.
Before that prices of tickets for life music were a lot lower.

I remember last time when Moz did a concert at Tivoli in Utrecht in the Netherlands. It is part of a cultural centre also subsidised by the city. Not for the venue itself but a part of the income from tickets will be used to finance other cultural activities.

The venue had agreed with moz about meat, and meat products not being sold at the day of his performance and they kept their promise.
On that day there was also a classical music event with some well-known classical musicians and a show master/presenter that suddenly found out he nor his illustrious guests could have any meatproducts during the fancy dinner.

He started to twitter and said he was embarrassed in front of his guests and he wondered how it was possible some minor alternative musician, which he considered to be an extremist could just lay on his extremist rules to the whole centre, ha.

Than the social media storm began. If I would sum up in one sentence the opinion of almost all people it was like: he is a terrorist worse than ISIS and he should be killed. Freedom was at stake!!

But the venue did not react to that otherwise than saying there was a contract and both parties fulfilled that contract.

The venue was pleased of the sold out concert and with ticket prices of 65 euro they earned much more money than with the classical music event. No dig at them offcourse. And the venue had debts and that was a concern too for the city.

I don't think Moz knows about the fuss but I do know he likes to perform there and it was a great concert, believe me, I was there. :thumb:

Edit:
Is this coincidence or what?
One day after I posted the info above about Tivoli in Utrecht it now has been made public an employee has been arrested for stealing 80.000 euro from Tivoli.
It was publicly known the venue had debts and was in financial trouble.
The city therefore had decided to back up Tivoli financially. :paranoid:

Last edited:
What do you expect from beeeeck in Chicago? The capital of the Meat Belt. These people bleed Bar B Que sauce. I know Steve needs to play Chicago just like everyone else, so someone from Green Bay or Flint can go to the show, but I just don't get the 1991 Air A Gon ballroom thing.

I don't get what you are saying about the '91 Aragon Ballroom show. I was there. What are you on about?

Assholes. Plain and simple. Maybe they are "Anonymous" posters here...as 8 of 10 are also assholes.

Last edited:
Quando, I have to politely disagree. I don't go to concerts a form of entertainment I pay a lot of money for these days, no matter who the artist is, or the venue, to escape from the drama of every day life and other people's rules. I just want to hear the music I enjoy and see the people I enjoy. I don't need to have that artists' views rammed down my throat every time I see them do a show (and again he's not the only one to pull this stuff, either). I don't mind the folks there from PETA handing out literature and free stuff. In fact I support that. And I'm a vegetarian myself! But I don't think it's right for the money people pay to go to a show that they can't eat what they want, because Morrissey doesn't like it. I never understood that mentality of "Do as I do".

No. Not pompous at all. People have a choice. Go there or if they can't be without their meat, not only for 1 and half hour, don't go there. Moz chooses the venues on his conditions. If they are not willing to agree on them there is no contract and no Moz.

I think if you really start digging in you will find that a big majority of them agree. I'd say 90 percent.
They, the venues, are calculating and apparently they'd rather have Moz without the meat, than meat without the Moz. :p

And, they are not crazy. They know it is an issue that is a concern to much more people than in the past. They adjust. There is another reason.

Many of the venues that rely on concerts and all other musical, or artistic performances, need the money, and prices of tickets for life music are so much higher cause that's the only way musicians can earn some money after internet has decreased their income from recorded music.
Before that prices of tickets for life music were a lot lower.

I remember last time when Moz did a concert at Tivoli in Utrecht in the Netherlands. It is part of a cultural centre also subsidised by the city. Not for the venue itself but a part of the income from tickets will be used to finance other cultural activities.

The venue had agreed with moz about meat, and meat products not being sold at the day of his performance and they kept their promise.
On that day there was also a classical music event with some well-known classical musicians and a show master/presenter that suddenly found out he nor his illustrious guests could have any meatproducts during the fancy dinner.

He started to twitter and said he was embarrassed in front of his guests and he wondered how it was possible some minor alternative musician, which he considered to be an extremist could just lay on his extremist rules to the whole centre, ha.

Than the social media storm began. If I would sum up in one sentence the opinion of almost all people it was like: he is a terrorist worse than ISIS and he should be killed. Freedom was at stake!!

But the venue did not react to that otherwise than saying there was a contract and both parties fulfilled that contract.

The venue was pleased of the sold out concert and with ticket prices of 65 euro they earned much more money than with the classical music event. No dig at them offcourse. And the venue had debts and that was a concern too for the city.

I don't think Moz knows about the fuss but I do know he likes to perform there and it was a great concert, believe me, I was there. :thumb:

Edit:
Is this coincidence or what?
One day after I posted the info above about Tivoli in Utrecht it now has been made public an employee has been arrested for stealing 80.000 euro from Tivoli.
It was publicly known the venue had debts and was in financial trouble.
The city therefore had decided to back up Tivoli financially. :paranoid:

Quando, I have to politely disagree. I don't go to concerts a form of entertainment I pay a lot of money for these days, no matter who the artist is, or the venue, to escape from the drama of every day life and other people's rules. I just want to hear the music I enjoy and see the people I enjoy. I don't need to have that artists' views rammed down my throat every time I see them do a show (and again he's not the only one to pull this stuff, either). I don't mind the folks there from PETA handing out literature and free stuff. In fact I support that. And I'm a vegetarian myself! But I don't think it's right for the money people pay to go to a show that they can't eat what they want, because Morrissey doesn't like it. I never understood that mentality of "Do as I do".

Morrissey is free to request no meat or he doesn't play. The venue is free to agree or not agree to this request. You are free to attend or not attend. No ones forcing anyone and having what you think is the acceptable food option at a show is not a right and nor should it be. You're not being oppressed by having the venue decide its own menus and vendors

Let me kindly disagree. There are many situations in life when you pay for entertainment but have to stick to rules, like not looking at your mobile while sitting in a cinema. Furthermore I think that artists have a say too with regard to how the event is organized, as they are an essential part of the "entertainment package" you pay for. If Morrissey as the artist wants the shows to be political, you as member of the audience have to accept it or simply stay away. I think it's just a question of being considerate. You wouldn't go to Ai Wai Wai telling him what to show and sell in his exhibitions and what not.
Well, then we agree to disagree. This is why I refuse to go see him perform anymore. Between his selfish attitude of you have to eat what I eat, and seeing the horrific slaugtherhouse and police brutality videos during his shows, it ceases to be enjoyable. That's why I skipped his recent show in Brooklyn. Again, I go to concerts for the music and to be entertained. And I've seen him enough times now over the years, where I've seen mostly all of my favorite songs of his performed live. So I'm all set.

I do understand your point of view and it is as relevant as mine or anybody elses.
And I can understand your feelings about it.
Thankfully you are kind and not replying with insults and vicious words.

I know many people will agree with you but as far as I can see, the issue of animal wellfare has become much more important and of course it's not only Moz that made a contribution. People have a choice. I can understand that the video footage during MIM is shocking and gruesome to watch. It is a form of shocktactics and Moz thinks it is right to do so. But you know him.

When you go to see him you know it's not going to be a nice, cosy and retro kind of thing with all the sweet and syrophy songs, ALONE. He has always been like that. He wants to confront his audience as well and his fans.

Fortunately, it is not only about that.
There has been and there always will be another side as well.
I'm talking about the humor, the self mockery which can be quite funny, and remind us how silly we can be. It more or less works like a mirror to me and it feels like a relieve.
Cheers

fair enough, sometimes it's best to break up and go separate ways. for many consumers enjoying entertainment and feelings of discomfort don't go together. i think that discomfort pulls us out of ourselves and our comfort zones, and thus helps us to see the world with new eyes. non-political musicals and chamber music evenings, to name just a few examples, certainly don't do that. artists who confront their audiences in a provocative way are called selfish nowadays. we are living in a new biedermeier period, aren't we?

Why did I need so many words while you've said exactly what I wanted to say? English is not my first language.
Great post lanterns! :thumb:

why is the food being served such a big deal anyway? i dont know about anyone else but i feel no need to eat when at a concert. does a persons every sense have to be satiated to the full otherwise they'll feel that they werent "entertained" and didnt get their money's worth? when at a concert i feel like i want my focus to be on the stage and to be occupied with eating would sort of dilute the experience.

why is the food being served such a big deal anyway? i dont know about anyone else but i feel no need to eat when at a concert. does a persons every sense have to be satiated to the full otherwise they'll feel that they werent "entertained" and didnt get their money's worth? when at a concert i feel like i want my focus to be on the stage and to be occupied with eating would sort of dilute the experience.

Yes. WHY ??
And even more so, why at a Moz concert?
:confused: :confused:

i can only conclude that these people are at a concert mainly for the food and not the music. of necessity, it seems, as they are unable to cook for themselves

I do hope they don't have pets.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom