Russell Brand - Why I love The Smiths

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
From the latest 'Q' magazine - it doesn't say so, but I believe this is another Simon Goddard production.

6p4vbm.jpg

2dbttg2.jpg

Also, there's the Katy Perry Q&A from which the previously posted Morrissey story came. There's a few more Morrissey-related tidbits...

17pxyq.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Fantastic! I'm glad Russell didn't pick the obvious Smiths songs too! Asleep and Half A Person are amazing songs! Actually judging by Katy Perry's article, her hurtful "Mr Misery" quote seems more light-hearted in this article, where it seems where The Sun originally nicked her quote from

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the date being wrong, the caption on the Moz/Marr picture is brilliant - "With them, even shaking hands was complicated" :lbf:

Whatever you think about Russell, he comes across an an absolute 100% genuine fan. One of us, I'd say.

Peter

Yeah....I do think Russell is very funny and he is a good man at heart! Bless him!

If you go to one of his stand up shows, his entire pre show music is all smiths/moz and he enters the stage to 'last of the famous...'

I really don't mind the guy, I don't know too much about his girlfriend, but as others have already said - he is a serious fan. Keep it up Mr. Brand.

It's very obvious from what he says that he's a massive Smiths/Moz disciple. I must admit, I found his stand-up routine a bit unbearable when he first started appearing everywhere, but obviously as soon as I heard he was a Moz fan I became more interested in him and then realised he's a lot nicer than I'd given him credit for. He is genuinely fascinated with Morrissey. Interesting how he's become so friendly with Morrissey, who is notoriously difficult to get close to usually. Morrissey obviously finds Brand fascinating in some way, otherwise he wouldn't bother with him. I don't think it's just because Russell is a devotee, although it probably helps. When you see Brand interviewing him they seem to have a genuine rapport and quite a lot of comical exchanges on all sorts of subjects. Can anybody draw a comparison between these two? Morrissey is the shy celibate and Brand is the foul-mouthed serial shagger. It's fascinating in itself how these two get along so well. Thanks for the scan, great little read.:thumb:

this brought tears to my eyes, so heartfelt and true.
thankyou so much for sharing. :)

(I also laughed quite a bit)

His whole persona is very anti-Morrissey - not just the promiscuity but the way he indulges in all the very boring aspects of pop culture like stand-up comedy and when he worked for Big Brother. He is the very definition of a "crashing bore". It's very strange that he's friends with Morrissey for me, very strange.

His whole persona is very anti-Morrissey - not just the promiscuity but the way he indulges in all the very boring aspects of pop culture like stand-up comedy and when he worked for Big Brother. He is the very definition of a "crashing bore". It's very strange that he's friends with Morrissey for me, very strange.

You're entitled to your opinion, I repeat myself, I witnessed in December 2006 during the filming of a TV show that Morrissey was genuinely touched by Russell's affection.

Some people say Russell is a sub-standard comedian, however, he's definitely a genuine Smiths / Morrissey fan.

Last edited:

I used to think that way too, but I think Russell is just basically an attention whore, who did whatever whenever to get himself famous enough, I feel that underneath all that 'persona' is a much nicer more intelligent soul, hence the writing of articles like this, this is a glimpse at the True Russell.
(I hope) :rolleyes:

...I can well admire Russel for being a fan, and loving The Smiths/Morrissey, and he would indeed be welcome if he ever "posted" or joined here....But, I just wonder how many tickets he ( and Wossy"), AND Walliams, et al ) have actually BOUGHT for a Morrissey/Smiths show.....
I have followed Mozzer from when I first heard The Smiths ( 1983), and he has NEVER, EVER sent me a signed album....I just paid hard earned cash over a record shop counter for mine,
( as well as being almost Killed, for my love of the Band/man by (Ex) workmates....during the '80's...)

and I've spent good dosh on so many concert tickets, over the years since.

Not "Sour Grapes" at all ....just a fact....

Last edited:
Fantastic! I'm glad Russell didn't pick the obvious Smiths songs too! Asleep and Half A Person are amazing songs! Actually judging by Katy Perry's article, her hurtful "Mr Misery" quote seems more light-hearted in this article, where it seems where The Sun originally nicked her quote from

She did say she would like him to be there. I think with the article being just in text the actual vibe of the conversation is lost.

I don't think there is anything wrong with calling Morrissey "Mr Misery" in response to him saying you shouldn't get married because either they were both having some fun with each other or he was being rude and she responded in kind.

Morrissey is not and should not be immune to people responding to things he says.

My opinion based on this extended view, I think she was just having fun with him. I do not know Katy Perry at all. She might be a great person. I have met a lot of performers who I don't like their music at all who are actually really great people. Until I meet her I cannot say either way.

Back
Top Bottom