Ryan McGinley's photo tour with Morrissey plus Morrissey's favourite inscense.

Librarian On Fire

Reading the December 2011 issue of GQ (American issue) I came across this in the feature on best stuff 2011,

Ryan McGinley photographer

"I travelled around the world with Morrissey in the mid 2000s for a project where I shot all of his fans, and he would burn this one incense everywhere he went. I really liked the idea of having a smell that people associate with me, so I got into candles. Le Labos's Santal 26 candles in particular. The smell like a campfire you'd make while wearing a leather jacket. I have them all over my apartment, my studio - even my tour bus".

My Morrissey knowledge is pretty reasonable but I've never heard of this photographer, let alone this project. I'll go answer my own question and do some searchers, but does anyone know if the project went ahead?

I wonder what scent the inscense was? I somehow can't see it being a $3 packet of sandalwood from the markets.

Maybe he likes sandalwood... Do you really suspect he'd be burning incense as some form of scent marking, and not simply because it smells good? I've burned the shit in my car while driving. I'd do it at home if I could get away with it. I like the smell.

Reading the December 2011 issue of GQ (American issue) I came across this in the feature on best stuff 2011,

Ryan McGinley photographer

"I travelled around the world with Morrissey in the mid 2000s for a project where I shot all of his fans, and he would burn this one incense everywhere he went. I really liked the idea of having a smell that people associate with me, so I got into candles. Le Labos's Santal 26 candles in particular. The smell like a campfire you'd make while wearing a leather jacket. I have them all over my apartment, my studio - even my tour bus".

My Morrissey knowledge is pretty reasonable but I've never heard of this photographer, let alone this project. I'll go answer my own question and do some searchers, but does anyone know if the project went ahead?

I wonder what scent the inscense was? I somehow can't see it being a $3 packet of sandalwood from the markets.

Is this it?
http://ryanmcginley.com/irregular_regulars

Sandalwood is the best. :thumb:

Not very good are they?

my thoughts exactly.

Those people could be anybody, anywhere. No definition of whose show they're attending whatsoever

and the few photos of Morrissey don't pertain at all to the subject of the photos, which was his fans.

how in hell did this guy get that job?

i usually go with frankincense and myrrh, but i'll have to swing by a barneys and check out that candle.

also, those photos are for the most part, awful.

my thoughts exactly.

Those people could be anybody, anywhere. No definition of whose show they're attending whatsoever

and the few photos of Morrissey don't pertain at all to the subject of the photos, which was his fans.

how in hell did this guy get that job?

Man those shots are terrible,even if he is going for artsy. Take a class on exposure dude.

Back
Top Bottom