Sam Esty Rayner interview at A Heart Is A Spade

Matt writes:

My brand new interview with Sam Esty Rayner (including a few Moz Qs):

A Heart Is A Spade Interview: Sam Esty Rayner - A Heart Is A Spade
By Matt | Published: September 14, 2015

Excerpt:

What kind of projects do you have on the horizon over the next few months?
More of the same and hopefully the Morrissey live concert videos I have taken will have an official release on DVD. Also, I hope to make a film of the upcoming Morrissey South America tour, which should be fascinating.

Last edited:
Sam mentions the word 'performance' a lot in that interview. Doesn't that word usually drive Moz round the bend?

Can always rely on you to keep the Irish-are-thick-as-pig-shit stereotype alive and well.

Go and eat a potato you boring, toothless, simpleton.

Follow the thread Mr No One, he had no need to join the thread simply to insult.

When I was a kid I used to love the days that my dad took me to work with him while I was out of school for summer. He was a railroad employee (at the time the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad which is today part of CSX) and I would hang in his office and play with typewriters, or hang out in other parts of his office, or go outside and watch when a train would go by.

These stories on Sam Etsy hanging with his uncle while his uncle is "at his office" I feel are pretty similar.

When I was a kid I used to love the days that my dad took me to work with him while I was out of school for summer. He was a railroad employee (at the time the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad which is today part of CSX) and I would hang in his office and play with typewriters, or hang out in other parts of his office, or go outside and watch when a train would go by.

These stories on Sam Etsy hanging with his uncle while his uncle is "at his office" I feel are pretty similar.

sam looks to be close to forty years old for gods sake.

As a plastic paddy, why do you keep making references to the Nazis?

Do you not know your history?

The IRA who in cahoots with the Nazis

IRA man Sean Russell died on board a U-boat as he travelled to the Republic of Ireland to foment a pro-Nazi rising in 1941.

When the Irish Independent newspaper published photos of the liberated Belsen concentration camp, the newspaper editor was ordered to a meeting with the Irish president and told off for printing the photos.

When Hitler's death was made public, the Irish government arranged a book of condolences.

BTW, I was born and still live in Northern Ireland, which in your eyes, makes me as "Orish" as the famine, the black stuff, inferior tarmac driveways and clerical child sex abuse.
Where did you "escape" from" was it a mental institutiion? I think you need to go back, for someone who claims to be irish you sure use a lot of stereotypes, thanks for the history lesson but I know all about the IRA and the nazis, I have never said that everyone from the six counties are irish, I have pointed out that if you are born in the six counties you can choose to have irish nationality or uk nationality, not a British national though as Northern Ireland is part of the uk but not part of Britain, try explaining that to the planters, if you really are from Northern Ireland you would know all this

I see wee Jimmy Cranky is on the loose again, dribblin and talkin pesh bless his little tartan socks. No doubt he's been kicked out the boozer being D and D, for some reason he always comes to Morrissey-solo to mud-sling and hurl abuse at the regular contributors while he dries out. Have you seen his ramblings they have nothing to do with Steven, nothing whatsoever ! Best to just humour him with things like ' they may take oor lives but they'll nay tek oor neeps n tatties '.
Hopefully they'll lift the ban soon and he can get back on the fifty shilling chaser sessions.

Scotland the Brave !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Where did you "escape" from" was it a mental institutiion? I think you need to go back, for someone who claims to be irish you sure use a lot of stereotypes, thanks for the history lesson but I know all about the IRA and the nazis, I have never said that everyone from the six counties are irish, I have pointed out that if you are born in the six counties you can choose to have irish nationality or uk nationality, not a British national though as Northern Ireland is part of the uk but not part of Britain, try explaining that to the planters, if you really are from Northern Ireland you would know all this

you were not born in ireland proper or the six counties. so really, you are not irish, tho acting as if you were braveheart bravely having a pint at the pub.

- - - Updated - - -

AND? what are you, the age police?

except for the pope nobody takes his 40 year old nephew to work day. thats insane.

AND? what are you, the age police?

just a bitchy child and nothing else. sams seems to be pursuing things he wants to for fun and moz is letting him. maybe they just enjoy each others company and like traveling with one another, maybe hes having fun learning videography, who knows but hes clearly not concerned with being overtly professional in the technical sense and is fine financially im guessing so why run every one down for having the freedom to pursue the things they like in life. these people making such childish comments seems petty and it sometimes amazes me that this is who people want to be in life. i dont know how they look at themselves with anything disappointment in themselves. i mean is this how theyd want there children to see them act and follow in these footsteps. if not how can they justify there own behavior without lying to themselves constantly. im not a big fan of sams work and have said so but to say it in such a way as many here do, in such a deliberately hurtful manner just baffles me

Even though Sam is not a professional cinematographer, i don't see it as a bad thing or a reason to hate him. Morrissey probably feels comfortable with his nephew around and if it means getting some pre concert/post concert stuff i'm more than happy.

Last edited:
Even though Sam is not a professional cinematographer, i don't see it as a bad thing or a reason to hate him.
I'd hate him, if only for the absurd spoken intro/pantomime he and his pally front-loaded.

Though it's flawed, too, I much prefer the Lesley Verbeek version of the video.

work day is for little kids. tots. if you show up with a forty year old 'nephew' you would instantly be referred to the proper authorities.
forty year old sam is going to learn 'videography' by making poor quality videos on his iphone? i wonder how that is going to happen.

we will have to find out if damon will be aboard for the upcoming concerts, as the world turns.

Sam isn't 40. Going by his appearance at the beginning of the 'Sudehead' promo video, where he looks about 4-5 years old, that would make him around 30 now.

work day is for little kids. tots. if you show up with a forty year old 'nephew' you would instantly be referred to the proper authorities.
forty year old sam is going to learn 'videography' by making poor quality videos on his iphone? i wonder how that is going to happen.

we will have to find out if damon will be aboard for the upcoming concerts, as the world turns.

videography comes on many levels but im guessing trial and error just like anyone trying to casually learn something on there own for whatever reason. its not like he cant afford equipment so id guess that might indicate the level of his attempt or just a new wave of experimentation in film. tangerine was shot on an iphone is and was a hit at sundance. so was a recent bentley commercial. uneasy lies the mind was the first feature film shot on an i phone 5. im guessing youre not in the film business. or at least not lately

I really enjoyed reading that interview. I have been playing around with photography for a few months now during my spare time and I thought he made a few good points and observations. It's great that he has his uncle to work with, and if he really needs good advice, I'm sure Linder doesn't mind helping out at all. Sam sounds like a nice guy and he's quite obviously proud of his uncle...as he should be!

videography comes on many levels but im guessing trial and error just like anyone trying to casually learn something on there own for whatever reason. its not like he cant afford equipment so id guess that might indicate the level of his attempt or just a new wave of experimentation in film. tangerine was shot on an iphone is and was a hit at sundance. so was a recent bentley commercial. uneasy lies the mind was the first feature film shot on an i phone 5. im guessing youre not in the film business. or at least not lately

film business? LOL those are a couple of kids with iphones making silly videos that dont come within 100 miles of a movie theatre and at end of the day only the kids family and friends watch and makes enough money to buy beer.
to call that the film business is a laugh but i guess thats what sam is aiming to release.

I really enjoyed reading that interview. I have been playing around with photography for a few months now during my spare time and I thought he made a few good points and observations. It's great that he has his uncle to work with, and if he really needs good advice, I'm sure Linder doesn't mind helping out at all. Sam sounds like a nice guy and he's quite obviously proud of his uncle...as he should be!

What makes you so sure Linder Sterling will be happy to help budget boy Ryanair out ? Why do people like you and others post such assuming thoughts on here ? It's 4kin laughable ! Looking forward to your answer and insight on life in the loop of Silly Steven, Linder and Ryanair. Oh and pass on my regards on to Betty and Jackie won't you.

i think he expects people to decide if they wanna pay or not. if it doesnt meet expectations then we dont buy. it doesnt make me angry or feel slighted though as it seems pretty straightforward in describing what it is. if it was described as professional then id be mad. i probably wont buy it but still doesnt make me mad or super critical of someones attempt or i should say it doewnt make me super critical of the people. i just say i didnt like it and why and leave it at that. i for sure dont buy everything released under mozs name and still remain a huge fan of the man without feeling slighted by a release not meeting my standards

The problem with what you've said is that a lot of people won't see the video until AFTER they purchase it. You honestly believe the audio on this piece of film is good enough to put a price tag on?

Morrissey is at a stage in his career where he shouldn't have to compromise quality. His audience doesn't deserve shoddy product and neither does he.

I see wee Jimmy Cranky is on the loose again, dribblin and talkin pesh bless his little tartan socks. No doubt he's been kicked out the boozer being D and D, for some reason he always comes to Morrissey-solo to mud-sling and hurl abuse at the regular contributors while he dries out. Have you seen his ramblings they have nothing to do with Steven, nothing whatsoever ! Best to just humour him with things like ' they may take oor lives but they'll nay tek oor neeps n tatties '.
Hopefully they'll lift the ban soon and he can get back on the fifty shilling chaser sessions.

Scotland the Brave !

Congratulations benny, you've finally posted something that's actually funny, there's a first time for everything, I have to admit that post made me chuckle, going to see the Krankies in panto again this year, last years highlight was wee jimmy in a leotard swinging across the stage sitting on a giant ball singing "wrecking ball" hilarious

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom