Santigold lists The Smiths in Favourite Albums

More Santigold Morrissey love stuff here. I do like the Bakers Dozen pieces the Quietus does.

Didn't realise she was mates with Ishmael from Digable Planets, one of the more underrated hip-hop acts imo

My Pioneers: Santigold's Favourite Albums - The Quietus

In this week's Baker's Dozen, Santigold takes Tara Joshi through 13 favourite albums from Salt-N-Pepa to the Cocteau Twins, Fela Kuti, Nina Simone and Bad Brains, and points out that while Morrissey might have gone wrong, you can't take away what his songs once gave her

Excerpt:

The Smiths - The Smiths
The Smiths are one of my favourite bands of all time, I think I discovered them when I was 15, maybe? I was visiting my sister at college, and one of her friends was playing it – I wandered into the room, and sat down until the record was done. I still remember when I bought my first Smiths record, which was this one, and it was one of the best days of my teenage life. It was at Tower Records, and I made a lifelong friend that day. I love Morrissey's voice, and Johnny Marr's guitar playing. And even the bass lines just feel very specific to the Smiths, these walking bass lines that are just so melodic. I like how his soft singing-style contrasts with these really dark lyrics, that are often really funny in a dark way. It's so personal, and I learned a lot about lyric writing from Morrissey's approach to it. They blended a lot of different styles in their own very special way, and no one has ever outdone it. 'Still Ill' is one of my favourite songs. Humans are flawed, and I'm not excusing anything that Morrissey has said, but nobody can take away what a song meant to you in a moment. Morrissey is not my friend, but his music with the Smiths is my friend – and I love what his music meant to me.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadl

I am not in high school sadly, so my Moz quote response/joke is cringey I suppose.
However, my original comment was in responce to someone heralding The Smiths and dismissing solo Moz!

Best to ignore the comments. He worked with the homeless too, berating them and throwing bags of "burger king" at them after pointing at their heads with his stubby finger. thats what he considers 'working' with someone.o_O

In my experience working with younger people, you may be right. They really like The Smiths, but not a single one could tell you anything that Morrissey was involved with after 1987.

Have to disagree - if you look on Instagram, there are a ton of Morrissey fan accounts run by teenagers. It’s bizarre. I mean not only do they love young Moz, but they worship him now when he is 3 times (or more) their age! I think he really speaks to them, through the ages.

:lbf:

To be fair to Neil Tennant he'd need to spend a few years being a daily dick to catch up with old Mozzer.

Absolutely spot on, well put Charlie.
Once again "They don't like it up em"
Oh the blinkered cult, so much yet really so little to answer for bless their cotton socks.

" Wool n Cashmeregate, Italian bike copgate and Kerrygold CheeseGate, Ohhhh! We knew he couldn't last. Someone please take him home " :guitar: (ON TOPIC :cool: you know who you are, on yer knees until I say stop :tiphat: and believe me it's not giving me any pleasure whatsoever :barf:yuck the 4ck, hurry up n 4ck off)

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Some trolls just don't know what is and what is not off topic. Seeking attention in anyway they can, how sad.

CHEESGATE KERRYGOLD GATE!! BICYCLE GATE!!! 4CK GATE!!!!:ahhh:
GATE GATE!! THATS RIGHT GATE GATE GATE!! :swearGATE GATE GATE GATE:swear:swear

POOR SAP:crazy:

:seedling::turban::seedling:

How mean and petty can one really get? Santigold praises Morrissey's early works and says that his recent turdish comments won't tarnish them for her. Isn't that a fair and a non-judgemental comment? By saing that "Morrissey is not my friend", she just means that she doesn't know him personally -- but he feels kinship and friendship with his musical output. And yet again we have the usual vile trolls and emoji-loving sycophants tearing her apart. What a sad lot you fanatic Moz fans really are.

Santigold has some great singles, if you're after something poppy and enjoyable I'd recommend listening to "Who I Thought You Were". Great song.

How mean and petty can one really get? Santigold praises Morrissey's early works and says that his recent turdish comments won't tarnish them for her. Isn't that a fair and a non-judgemental comment? By saing that "Morrissey is not my friend", she just means that she doesn't know him personally -- but he feels kinship and friendship with his musical output. And yet again we have the usual vile trolls and emoji-loving sycophants tearing her apart. What a sad lot you fanatic Moz fans really are.

I agree wholeheartedly . Just as sad as the vile anti Moz trolls who never miss an opportunity to denigrate and attack him. You would have to wonder if they are capable of holding down a job as their social skills must surely be lacking in everyday life.
Santigold gave a very measured interview in response to some leading questions no doubt. A little restraint on opinions around Morrissey is always a pleasant surprise as the gutter press approach seems to be King, even on this "fan" site.

Kanye recently called for slavery of blacks to be reinstated in America. Kanye is always wearing a MAGA hat (I haven't seen a pic of him without one in over a year). He is meeting with Trump and Judge Kavanaugh at the White House tomorrow. Yesterday Kanye said, "Rape victims have it coming and I hope they will be raped again."

The Morrissey whining is getting a little old. Kanye West is the enemy. He believes that Trump is "the greatest leader in the history of humanity."

Kanye West is a mentally unstable narcissist who has said some very deplorable things over the last year, but absolutely nowhere has he said that slavery should be reinstated or that thing about rape victims. Please point us to your sources or shut up. Don't spread vile untruths, especially now when there are enough vile truths going around.

Have to disagree - if you look on Instagram, there are a ton of Morrissey fan accounts run by teenagers. It’s bizarre. I mean not only do they love young Moz, but they worship him now when he is 3 times (or more) their age! I think he really speaks to them, through the ages.
I'm speaking from first hand experience of working alongside young hipsters and millennials. Instagram is not real life. There are teenagers that love T Rex, but they aren't typical.

Santigold, whoever he or she may be, exhibits exemplary TROLL behaviour, she/he is a troll of the classic type. Start off weak positive remarks to get the foot inside the door, while with the other elongated foot she pushes the door open and commences with the vile anti Moz commentary. you see this type of trolling here on a daily basis FFS. dont act like you have:speaknoevil::seenoevil::hearnoevil:

I'm speaking from first hand experience of working alongside young hipsters and millennials. Instagram is not real life. There are teenagers that love T Rex, but they aren't typical.
I totally agree that these kids are not typical! Young hipsters now don’t even listen to rock’n’roll! But Instagrammers do also exist in real life.

Morrissey wrote his remarkable lyrics not to try and make friends with his audience, but because he most likely felt the need to bring his thoughts and feelings to the surface. To exercise those emotions that had been left dormant, or trapped within himself.

The fact that some connect so strongly to his art is to be completely understood, but to project our imagined closeness to him into a responsibility of his to respond in kind is flawed and misguided.

Kanye West is a mentally unstable narcissist who has said some very deplorable things over the last year, but absolutely nowhere has he said that slavery should be reinstated or that thing about rape victims. Please point us to your sources or shut up. Don't spread vile untruths, especially now when there are enough vile truths going around.

Yup, it's worse than you thought: Kanye said he wanted to abolish the 13th amendment which banned slavery. Not exactly the same thing as reinstating slavery, but what a colossally stupid thing to say!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-kanye-west-13th-amendment-20181001-story.html

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom