Morrissey Central "SETTING SUNS BEFORE THEY FALL ECHO TO YOU ‘THAT’S ALL, THAT’S ALL’…"

unnamed-1_nxhhnc.jpg

24th January (this Friday) is the official release date for IT'S OVER / IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME 7-inch disc. Available at HMV, Rough Trade, Amazon online.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/setting-suns

Original Bowie image:
bowie-keaton1.jpg

Central reminding us the single that was available in December will be released on Friday. I'm sure the Bowie 'autograph' will provide some discussion too.

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Yes, but he wasn't make-believing Keaton's endorsement of Station to Station.

No - but in Moz's defence - he's more of a Joe Ortonesque agitator than anything else.

He doesn't like the way showbiz sells itself - probably because in his younger years he was obsessed with the way showbiz sells itself. He's too aware. Probably. Which is limiting - but better than having no awareness until it's too late. There are famous people I've only ever seen on t.v. talking about The Thing They Did before I was born.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I find the idea that all roads lead to promotion a bit too jaded for me. I have read that this is your occupation so I can see how you would view things through this prism, but I believe most great art comes from a pureness of heart and mind.
What is done with the resulting product is of infinitely less interest as to how it makes me feel.

I wouldn't say it was jaded - just what gets done. If you don't promote the work & yourself then very few people (if any) would ever get to feel anything about your work or you.

And at least his generation had decent work - the insta stars have nothing but their grift.

More repugnant that photoshatting product into pics of dead people for promotional purposes?

Is there anything more repugnant than that?

Apart from digging the dead famous people up and dressing them with some Morrissey product and then taking a photograph. Obviously that's a tad worse. Morrissey Central are just one step away from that.

Yes, there are many things way more repugnant, but clearly you lack the imagination to think of them; or you just don’t wish to, as it might clash with your Morrissey-hating bile.

I suggest you stop being so melodramatic. It’s a funny picture made by a morrissey fan; get over yourself.

Thats o.k, I can tell you apart from someone who is nice.

I’m a sweetheart. Which is why I don’t use the likeness and signature of someone who publicly rebuffed me doing so before (and that I couldn’t bother to say anything about when they died) to promote a single no one cares about.

View attachment 54148

24th January (this Friday) is the official release date for IT'S OVER / IT HAPPENS EVERY TIME 7-inch disc. Available at HMV, Rough Trade, Amazon online.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messagesfrommorrissey/setting-suns

Original Bowie image:
View attachment 54149

Central reminding us the single that was available in December will be released on Friday. I'm sure the Bowie 'autograph' will provide some discussion too.

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Can someone tweet that pic to Duncan Jones and ask him what he thinks about Morrissey photoshatting product into that photograph:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManMadeMoon?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

What leads you to believe that this is true? Did you spend a second to try and uncover the truth about this original picture? This might help:

Veteran photographer Steve Schapiro reveals the tale behind one of his most extraordinary images of David Bowie imitating his hero Buster Keaton

https://www.anothermag.com/art-photography/8840/david-bowie-and-buster-keaton-by-steve-schapiro

I wouldn't really describe myself as a fan of David Bowie, or his music for that matter, but I do find this photo to be authentically touching. An homage to a truly talented performer that he appreciated.

This compared to the sad use of David's photo to schlock a single that can only be seen as self-promoting. An affront to the memory of the man that at least at one point Moz purportedly idolized.

Many posters here spend an equal amount of effort and energy denigrating those with negative opinions about Morrissey as they do white washing all of the BS he and his needy nephew propagate. Please try and be open-minded enough to see this when commenting on those with dissenting views even if you oppose the manner in which they are given.

About self-promotion,

From the article:
Veteran photographer, Steve Schapiro, was first Hired by Bowie's Mgmt,in 1975, to promote Bowie, by "documenting" him as he stepped into a professional acting career, with "the singer and actor frequently enlisting him to capture his ever-evolving image."

Bowie's photo holding biography of actor Buster Keaton, "was shot in his trailer on the set of [Nicolas Roeg's film] The Man Who Fell to Earth in New Mexico in 1975," Schapiro tells us."

It was Bowie's first Major film role. The film was released in 1976.

" Schapiro does concede, however, is that it was always Bowie who was In Control of a shoot's direction. "

From Schapiro:

"With a lot of people I photograph, I really have to determine what we're doing, how we're doing it, What Props we're using and Things of that sort. With David, What You See Is What He Wanted To Present."

Conclusion:
Before his big movie debut, Self-promoting Bowie, hires veteran photographer; decides on the type of prop used (Buster Keaton) , and how to stage it
, for his famous photo.. Nothing was spontaneously done, if he could help it.
Clever Bowie.
Clever Moz.

I wouldn't say it was jaded - just what gets done. If you don't promote the work & yourself then very few people (if any) would ever get to feel anything about your work or you.

And at least his generation had decent work - the insta stars have nothing but their grift.

I guess the use of promotion for the sake of bringing awareness to the work (which you write of above) vs. its use for strictly monetary gain is one that can be endlessly argued. I still think it is possible to see the difference between art and advertisement.

Some, like Warhol, married the two for effect, but the result is almost entirely superficial consumerism. The Morrissey of thirty years ago surely saw the difference, and would never have used such tactics for the promotion of his music. He has made it quite clear that he is not for sale over the years, but now everyone living or dead is fair game for him to exploit in this regard.

I guess the use of promotion for the sake of bringing awareness to the work (which you write of above) vs. its use for strictly monetary gain is one that can be endlessly argued. I still think it is possible to see the difference between art and advertisement.

Some, like Warhol, married the two for effect, but the result is almost entirely superficial consumerism. The Morrissey of thirty years ago surely saw the difference, and would never have used such tactics for the promotion of his music. He has made it quite clear that he is not for sale over the years, but now everyone living or dead is fair game for him to exploit in this regard.

It's all about money. Art is a trade. But, I think you mean he wouldn't make a record or do a thing JUST to make money. Which is probably true. Using snarky photos on your own website isn't remotely selling out no matter how much people hate you for it. His appearance on The One Show is the only time I thought, Jesus, but then the reaction of confusion & disgust to him kept him on brand.

It's all about money. Art is a trade. But, I think you mean he wouldn't make a record or do a thing JUST to make money. Which is probably true. Using snarky photos on your own website isn't remotely selling out no matter how much people hate you for it. His appearance on The One Show is the only time I thought, Jesus, but then the reaction of confusion & disgust to him kept him on brand.

Those altered images aren't "snarky". Look up the definition.

Team Morrissey are photoshatting his product into those photographs for promotional purposes, thus associating his f***ing brand with a dead famous person, for monetary gain.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom