Shoplifters Of The World - Official trailer

ShopliftersYouTubeDescription.jpg

Update:
February 5, 2021.
The trailer now features on Morrissey Central:
"NOW TODAY TOMORROW AND ALWAYS"

Seems a good device to me, to represent who Smiths fans were in the US c.1987; possibly spares an unfamiliar cinema audience a lot of unnecessary dialogue?

He does attract anyone who needs a plaintive wee soul giving it laldy in the corner of their bedroom.

Which gives him a more unpredictable fanbase.

He does attract anyone who needs a plaintive wee soul giving it laldy in the corner of their bedroom.

Which gives him a more unpredictable fanbase.
I anticipate that the inter-racial aspects of the apparent relationship will be significantly recognised in the film, at some key point.

The capacity of the Smiths to allow people to transcend such social challenges will (I’m guessing) partly explain the protagonists’ fanaticism for this band in particular.

Obviously, the hijacker himself has to be white—if we’re expected to believe that he gets out of the radio station alive.

At first I didn’t know it was a comedy. It’s called a ‘Smiths themed comedy’ on the wiki page.

The trailer is not so bad after one knows that it’s a comedy.

I'm not watching this unless John Boyega makes a cameo as Johnny Marr.

Why should an actor lose a role because of her skin colour? She's playing the romantic lead - she's clearly got the looks, talent & charisma for it. Why shouldn't she play it?
Why should she GET one because of it?

What are you saying? That people of color were not fans of the Smiths back in the day? Because you'd be wrong!
I'm sure there were a few that were. But black AND female? I am gonna guess maybe not.

I hate the term "people of color." The implication is that white people are colorless. And that, of course, means bland...uniform...amalgamated...not noticeable or important.

Gotta see through the media lingo, friend.

I'm sure there were a few that were. But black AND female? I am gonna guess maybe not.

I hate the term "people of color." The implication is that white people are colorless. And that, of course, means bland...uniform...amalgamated...not noticeable or important.

68AA2EB2-5294-42F9-B233-248456D8DE01.jpeg

“I’m gonna guess maybe not.”

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. In California where I’m from, there were all kinds of kids into the Smiths in the 80s. With your attitude, you definitely would not have been cool enough to be into the Smiths.

If you hate the term, just use it rather than contesting it. That guarantees a rush to remove it from your lexicon.

This should be a good bit of fun. Perhaps it will garner intrest and get Morrissey a chance to record more music.

I mean, people of color is a stupid term but of course it's not for the paranoid reasons you imagine. It's more that it's just a new way of saying "other."
"Colored" went from being a nicer version of "negro" which was a nicer version of that word, and then we had black, followed by African American, and now it's "people of color."
If you called someone colored it would be very insulting so how is "people of color" better?
In fact it's worse because it is used for anyone who isn't white. It's basically saying that whatever you are, if you're not white, you're part of this other group. It erases the individuality of various ethnicities and backgrounds and basically just says "other than default."
The people that use it are probably the same people that inexplicably think Mexican is a demeaning term and use Latinx instead. I mean, if the person is Hispanic and not from Mexico then Mexican is not the right word, but most people from Mexico are proud to be Mexicans. Making it a bad word definitely reveals the confusion and denial that many "liberals" try to hide.
So yes, you're correct, by accident. In a way. I guess.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom