Shoplifters Of The World - Official trailer

ShopliftersYouTubeDescription.jpg

Update:
February 5, 2021.
The trailer now features on Morrissey Central:
"NOW TODAY TOMORROW AND ALWAYS"

I'm not even going to pretend to understand how exactly the distribution of Smiths royalties works (mostly because I honestly don't care) but Morrissey agreed to the songs being used so he doesn't seem to mind...

Could this film have been made without the songs? I bet the director was sweating bullets when he was asking for permission to use them in the film.

Maybe he could have used cover versions instead? which would have been pretty awful.

Could this film have been made without the songs? I bet the director was sweating bullets when he was asking for permission to use them in the film.

Maybe he could have used cover versions instead? which would have been pretty awful.
I didn’t think Morrissey/Marr owned the songs?

I would say he needed the songs & it was stressful.

He could have made it about another band or a fictional band if needs be. Covers would be an awful choice.

I didn’t think Morrissey/Marr owned the songs?
They clearly must still hold rights to grant or deny requests for commercial use (maybe via their publishers as composers?) . Hence why 'England is Mine' wasn't allowed to use any Morrissey/Marr songs. As such, this script must have been sanctioned in some way by Morrissey, which makes me slightly nervous it's going to be excessively arse-kissing.

They clearly must still hold rights to grant or deny requests for commercial use (maybe via their publishers as composers?) . Hence why 'England is Mine' wasn't allowed to use any Morrissey/Marr songs. As such, this script must have been sanctioned in some way by Morrissey, which makes me slightly nervous it's going to be excessively arse-kissing.
Are you sure it wasn’t the cost that was an issue for the producers of ‘England is Mine’?
Also, given the latter was a British production, ownership of the music rights might be in different hands?

It might be they own the songs outright, and globally, but that’s very unusual. Which (equally) isn’t to say they don’t have some kind of veto (as owners of the lyrics and music, rather than the recordings).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my type of film but it looks like it could get popular and I would love some Smiths in the mainstream

Are you sure it wasn’t the cost that was an issue for the producers of ‘England is Mine’?
Also, given the latter was a British production, ownership of the music rights might be in different hands?

It might be they own the songs outright, and globally, but that’s very unusual. Which (equally) isn’t to say they don’t have some kind of veto (as owners of the lyrics and music, rather than the recordings).

Bowie vetoed Velvet Goldmine because of the script.

It seems as if Morrissey isn't fussed unless it's a biopic about him & then he wants it killed with fire whether its flattering or insulting.

Bowie vetoed Velvet Goldmine because of the script.

It seems as if Morrissey isn't fussed unless it's a biopic about him & then he wants it killed with fire whether its flattering or insulting.

The film Velvet Goldmine = bad.

The song Velvet Goldmine = good.

Class dismissed.

I mean, people of color is a stupid term but of course it's not for the paranoid reasons you imagine. It's more that it's just a new way of saying "other."
"Colored" went from being a nicer version of "negro" which was a nicer version of that word, and then we had black, followed by African American, and now it's "people of color."
If you called someone colored it would be very insulting so how is "people of color" better?
In fact it's worse because it is used for anyone who isn't white. It's basically saying that whatever you are, if you're not white, you're part of this other group. It erases the individuality of various ethnicities and backgrounds and basically just says "other than default."
The people that use it are probably the same people that inexplicably think Mexican is a demeaning term and use Latinx instead. I mean, if the person is Hispanic and not from Mexico then Mexican is not the right word, but most people from Mexico are proud to be Mexicans. Making it a bad word definitely reveals the confusion and denial that many "liberals" try to hide.
So yes, you're correct, by accident. In a way. I guess.

I'm in California and no, Mexican is not a bad word. It's just not an appropriate word to use in a place that is made up of many people who are multi-racial. In my son's class, "multi-racial" was the largest demographic. If you're half-Mexican, a quarter Chinese and a quarter Black - "person of color" is perfectly appropriate. We get to decide what to call ourselves and what those words mean.

Doesn't sound like you are from California, because a Mexican would never marry or have sex with a chino or black person, so your "multi racial" example isn't a very good one. Mexicans are racist people and stick with their own kind. Mexicans have been coming to California legally and illegally since the 1800's and they rarely marry outside of their own race.

I'm in California and no, Mexican is not a bad word. It's just not an appropriate word to use in a place that is made up of many people who are multi-racial. In my son's class, "multi-racial" was the largest demographic. If you're half-Mexican, a quarter Chinese and a quarter Black - "person of color" is perfectly appropriate. We get to decide what to call ourselves and what those words mean.
I agree with you especially that everyone gets to decide what to call themselves and if you prefer "person of color" that's fine but I do think something better is possible. I understand what you're saying about how it might not be so simple but I don't really like the word "multi-racial" either although I get what you mean when you use it.
I think better words and concepts are possible. Looking at people as being from different cultures is preferable to me as opposed to division by color or race.
I do understand how the word Mexican isn't going to be the best word for people with diverse backgrounds.
Where I live I worked with Mexican people who are improving their English skills for better employment opportunities and many of them are studying for citizenship. Many of them probably have the same multicultural backgrounds you're talking about but most of them were born in Mexico. What I was talking about is white people that work in schools and libraries who seem to feel that Mexican is a bad word. It's like they're thinking it but they find another way to say it.
But all of these terms continue to change and hopefully we are progressing towards better concepts. I still feel that "people of color" has the problem of meaning "not white" but I can understand your point.

I would assume she auditioned, they loved her audition & she got the part for that reason.

I don't know why you're fixated on her skin colour.
Because it's fake. That's why. It's a lie of the diversity-obsessed Left.

The revised rules for Academy Award nominations stipulate that films must either be about people of color or social minorities, include them in the main cast, or retain records of their involvement in the film crew.

Everything of value is being flushed down the toilet for not being black enough. Gone are the days when artistic integrity was what mattered most. Now it's all about how many "people of color" are involved. You cannot even watch a goddamn commercial for cereal in the last three years wherein the family doesn't look like a f***ing Crayola box.

It's all fake. It is all lies...the lie of diversity being more important than depicting life as it is actually lived.

It's so f***ing racist it makes me ill.

The revised rules for Academy Award nominations stipulate that films must either be about people of color or social minorities, include them in the main cast, or retain records of their involvement in the film crew.

Everything of value is being flushed down the toilet for not being black enough. Gone are the days when artistic integrity was what mattered most. Now it's all about how many "people of color" are involved. You cannot even watch a goddamn commercial for cereal in the last three years wherein the family doesn't look like a f***ing Crayola box.

It's all fake. It is all lies...the lie of diversity being more important than depicting life as it is actually lived.

Fiction isn't real life, actors can act & various rules might be a faff at times but they don't actually affect the audience. And they can always fight their case if there's a point that matters, but I doubt the need for a group of fictional Smiths fans to be entirely white is a point that matters. And it wouldn't be how life is actually lived since he - even with his reputation still in tatters - has fans who are not white.

You either need to drink more or less because what you're doing now isn't working.

It's awful how using black actors is ruing the "reality" of hollywood movies.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom