Simon Wolstencroft - original Stone Roses and Smiths drummer to publish book

Original Stone Roses and Smiths drummer to publish book by Carl Stanley, Louder Than War

Si Wolstencroft was the drummer in The Patrol, the band that predates The Stone Roses and featured Ian Brown and John Squire and he went to school with the pair of them. He was also the first drummer in The Smiths and then spent ten years in The Fall before linking back with Ian Brown for some of his solo tracks… he also famously played with Brown and Squire during the soundcheck for the recent legendary Justice Tonight appearence at Manchester Ritz.

Excerpt:

A question I’m sure you’ve been asked a few times but what’s your take on not going all the way with The Roses or The Smiths, though at the same time you’ve had a fantastic career playing with other influential/big bands others could only dream of…

When The Smiths went huge I was gutted I turned down the job but after being in The Fall for 4 years before The Roses went huge I was just really glad for the two bands, however the The Smiths split up in 1987. I am now enjoying playing drums more than ever! so yes I have got over the disappointment.

I suspect maybe there’s many people outside MCR who think they know the roots of their fave bands, The Smiths & The Roses yet do they?….will the book give us a new/different view on the roots of those bands as well as your own…

There have been many books written about The Smiths and The Roses and this will be an inside story from the horse’s mouth. I was the answer to a question on the last seasons series of BBC2 mastermind and the contestant got my name right thank god!!

simon_small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm genuinely more interested what he's got to say about life in The Fall.

I'm Only interested in the Baby. Everything else is Boring.

insert righteous yet underwhelming and more than a hint of homoerotic comment from Uncleskinny here

Should be an interesting book of the life of the embroyic Smiths and Roses and even greater account of The Fall.
I've read Mark E Smiths book and his account of the band that simply dumped him and left mid American tour, so be great to read his take on that episode.

Re: Article: Simon Wolstencroft - original Stone Roses and Smiths drummer to publish

Am I Still ill? The answer is obvious.yes. I am.

Always

Surprised?

Please keep in mind:

No Good thing Ever Dies.

It's written in the stars. A million miles away. Always. And I will Love you Baby... Always...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom