Morrissey Central Sky Sports apologise after libellous comment about Morrissey is aired during Sunday Supplement live broadcast - London Evening Standard

Geoff Shreeves was forced to apologise on behalf of Sky Sports after a libellous comment about Morrissey was aired during the live broadcast of Sunday Supplement.

Excerpt:

With presenter Shreeves and his four-man panel of reporters live streaming from home, the comment was heard at the start of the show.

A conversation was heard between members of the panel, before a libellous comment about the iconic frontman of The Smiths was heard.

The show continued, but following its first advertisement break, Shreeves apologised for the comments made by the Telegraph’s chief football writer, Sam Wallace.

Shreeves said: "At the start of this of this program a brief private conversation was unintentionally broadcast. It was not meant for broadcast and any conversation does not reflect the views of Sky Sports."

Here’s the video:

UPDATE:

Alexi posted the link:

Excerpt:

Sky Sports have been forced to apologise after comments made by one of the guests on their Sunday Supplement show accidentally made the air.

The guest appeared to say "Morrissey's been cancelled hasn't he as he's basically turned out to be a racist", before host Geoff Shreeves swiftly let them know the broadcast had already begun.

UPDATE 11:20 AM PT:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Now a Central post:
"SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS OUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY"

SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY:
SUNDAY TELEGRAPH JOURNALIST SAM WALLACE EXPOSES MORRISSEY TO HATRED, RIDICULE AND INJURY

SER's video text and video appear on Central.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey will never be cancelled.
This cancelation culture is bizarre. Wasn't Morrissey right about Chinese?
No one has ever been right when they talk about a whole nation, any nation, in broad strokes. We’re all individuals, with our own complexities. No culture should be defined by their worst examples.

Morrissey has 3 Latinos in his band. I'm sure they would not be there if he were racist. He's just states the truth. Everyone else is afraid to. For f*** sake!!!!

No one has ever been right when they talk about a whole nation, any nation, in broad strokes. We’re all individuals, with our own complexities. No culture should be defined by their worst examples.

He didn't say anything about the whole nation - he was talking about how awful footage of animal cruelty was.

He didn't say anything about the whole nation - he was talking about how awful footage of animal cruelty was.
Wrong. He specifically said "the Chinese" and in recent weeks his site has posted at lest twice implying "see? I was right all along."
I don't know shit about PR, Karen, but I do know that "he was very upset when he said that" is the best way past it. If you claim he didn't say it when anyone with eyes and ears can see that he did, you're insulting your audience but more importantly you're not providing closure.
I don't blame him for saying it given the horrific footage I've seen, and immediately after seeing these things a person might say all sorts of things that they later wish to modify, clarify, or apologize for.
He did clarify and somewhat modify his original statement but he never claimed not to have said it.
Karen, he has made millions of dollars through his ability to manipulate language. "Subspecies" is not some random word he landed on. It was deliberate. He wanted attention for this issue above all else, and he was successful. Give him credit for that.
And he's had to pay for it to some degree for years by having the phrase taken out of context and repeated many times.
He did it on purpose and he has paid the price. If you need to excuse it for whatever reason go ahead but don't deny it happened.

Morrissey has 3 Latinos in his band. I'm sure they would not be there if he were racist. He's just states the truth. Everyone else is afraid to. For f*** sake!!!!
Racists caregorise people by racial background and like and dislike people in those categories different amounts accordingly. He quite likes latinos, according to his autobiography, because they have shiny hair. I'm not joking, that's actually true.

:eek:

WTF Fake C!!

o_O

"karen" is insulting her audience??? WTF?
and she is not providing closure for who? Her? Moz? the audience?
the entire planet?
Moz doesnt know these peeps needing closure FFS:rolleyes:

Making no sense there Fake C.

Wrong. He specifically said "the Chinese" and in recent weeks his site has posted at lest twice implying "see? I was right all along."
I don't know shit about PR, Karen, but I do know that "he was very upset when he said that" is the best way past it. If you claim he didn't say it when anyone with eyes and ears can see that he did, you're insulting your audience but more importantly you're not providing closure.
I don't blame him for saying it given the horrific footage I've seen, and immediately after seeing these things a person might say all sorts of things that they later wish to modify, clarify, or apologize for.
He did clarify and somewhat modify his original statement but he never claimed not to have said it.
Karen, he has made millions of dollars through his ability to manipulate language. "Subspecies" is not some random word he landed on. It was deliberate. He wanted attention for this issue above all else, and he was successful. Give him credit for that.
And he's had to pay for it to some degree for years by having the phrase taken out of context and repeated many times.
He did it on purpose and he has paid the price. If you need to excuse it for whatever reason go ahead but don't deny it happened.

The quote in context is hypothetical hyperbole - the interviewer said he was being theatrical - & there's no reason he would think it would be the quote pulled out of a feature. He says a lot of things. You never know what will land.

Also - he thinks he was right about the animal welfare standards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not libel if it's true (at least in the US of A)
Same in most places, but more complicated in Europe if you can argue about whether it's true or just an opinion. In Morrissey's case, he's so frequently called a racist that I don't think he could successfully sue anyone over it. The defence is: Given the number of people who think you are a racist, how exactly am I harming your reputation by calling you one, dickhead?

Now a Central post:
"SKY SPORTS AIR LIBELLOUS OUS COMMENT ABOUT MORRISSEY"

SER's video text and video appear on Central.
Regards,
FWD.

í am no Petrocelli, but doesn't this mean that Morrissey's 'own' site has just repeated the libel against Morrissey...? :unsure:

As Miss Thelma said, God! The law is some tricky shit, isn't it ?

í am no Petrocelli, but doesn't this mean that Morrissey's 'own' site has just repeated the libel against Morrissey...? :unsure:

As Miss Thelma said, God! The law is some tricky shit, isn't it ?

Yes & no - they could argue they were using it as proof of their contention that Moz was exposed to hatred, ridicule & injury.

The quote in context is hypothetical hyperbole - the interviewer said he was being theatrical - & there's no reason he would think it would be the quote pulled out of a feature. He says a lot of things. You never know what will land.

Also - he thinks he was right about the animal welfare standards.
Karen, it doesn't matter if he thought this was the quote that would get attention. You don't know what he thought. This is one of your problems, Karen. You're always telling us what Morrissey thinks or thought. I disagree anyway. I think he knew when he said the thing about "Madonna's African child" that it was going to get attention. I think when he said "worse things happen at Kentucky Fried Shit everyday" it was going to get attention. I think he deliberately used "subspecies" when talking about "the Chinese" because he knew it would get attention.
But we don't have to argue about what we think he meant. What he actually said is on record. There is nothing hypothetical about it. Because he said "one can't help but think" it's hypothetical?
If that were true then why the repeated "Kung Flu" and the reposting of Bill Maher asking why we don't call it "the Chinese Flu?" Of course there is always the question of whether Morrissey has any involvement or knowledge of the things posted on his site.
Again, it doesn't matter. We have the words. It doesn't matter if you, the interviewer, @Ketamine Sun, or anyone else would like to explain, interpret, translate, or do an interpretive dance about what he "really meant." To believe that he did not know what he was saying is to believe he got very, very lucky to have written the songs he wrote which seem to show a really highly skilled command of language.
Ketamine Sun has said that he chose these words to get attention. At least she is honest. Maybe that's what you mean by hyperbole? Yes he is a troll. He says things to get attention. He has been doing it his whole career, before Internet trolls existed.
So your argument is that he doesn't mean it? The public is not responsible for knowing what he meant or didn't mean. Usually the argument is that "it was taken out of context," or "he wasn't talking about all Chinese." He WAS talking all Chinese. "Subspecies" makes it very clear that he is talking about a subset of ALL human beings.
You people that try to defend this a million different ways are the reason it won't just die. Everyone gets angry and says things. He had a reason to be angry. That is the best explanation. It's simple and it rings true. All that nonsense about what the interviewer thinks (which is some brand new bullshit, Karen; I really thought I'd heard it all) doesn't matter.
No one with any sense is going to believe that statement meant anything other than what was explicitly and deliberately stated. Please let it go so we don't have to talk about it for another ten years.

Moz should have ignored this and taken the high road. His name's going to be dragged through the muck again. He's too attracted to the state of being aggrieved, he seems to revel in it. At any rate, this will not win him any new fans or attract a new record label.

Moz should have ignored this and taken the high road. His name's going to be dragged through the muck again. He's too attracted to the state of being aggrieved, he seems to revel in it. At any rate, this will not win him any new fans or attract a new record label.

Moz will be fine. He just needs to call me, then get a haircut and a suntan.

"Talked to the media and went to events." Listen to this low-level PR scrub. Morrissey has nothing interesting left to say. He's been doing safe, wimpy, pre-approved-question email interviews for years now. It's not that he "doesn't play the game" like some sort of iconoclast renegade, it's that he hasn't written a good song in about 15 years and can't seem to generate press unless he's being an asshole.

Totally agree re the safe/wimpy email interviews.

"Hasn't written a good song in about 15 years"? You are very much entitled to that opinion, of course. But for me, at least half of the new record is vastly better than the stuff on most of his solo albums. We all like different things, I guess.

And Nerak REALLY winds you up, doesn't she?

if you let it go these people will have a field day with you.

THIS. IS. SUPERB.

Sunday Supplement and Morrissey, together at last!

Why would he have a black singer doing backing vocals on his new album if he was racist?
Exactly and why would he have a multicultural band? And anyone who has ever been to a Morrissey gig will know that for years the videos that precede the show frequently have famous people of all ethnicities ( e.g. James Baldwin, Jackie Wilson, Dionne Warwick ) whilst the backdrops during the show have e.g. Bruce Lee amongst others whilst Moz is giving it his all for the fans. There is a particularly poignant picture of a black activist holding a banner with "Rise Up" on it during World Peace Is None Of Your Business. At the end of the day the haters want to hate no matter what and I say f..k the lot of 'em!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom