Smiths instrumental recording from soundcheck at Dundalk Fairways Hotel (Feb. 11, 1986)

Hello. I was rifling around some old files, and I found something I'd been looking for for ages - that rare thing - a Smiths song that never made it.

This is taken from a sound-check at Dundalk Fairways Hotel, February 11th, 1986. It isn't quite Panic, and it isn't quite Sheila Take a Bow, but it's somewhere in between, and before either was recorded/released.

An interesting historical artefact.

Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-skinny/08-instrumental-4

Thank you!!! Never heard it. Bizarrly it instantly reminded me of the also unreleased "Stars on 45" demo by Suede.

Hello. I was rifling around some old files, and I found something I'd been looking for for ages - that rare thing - a Smiths song that never made it.

This is taken from a sound-check at Dundalk Fairways Hotel, February 11th, 1986. It isn't quite Panic, and it isn't quite Sheila Take a Bow, but it's somewhere in between, and before either was recorded/released.

An interesting historical artefact.

Enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-skinny/08-instrumental-4

Last edited by a moderator:
Groovey, cant be downloaded i suppose?

Super Thanks anyway :)

Back to the old days !
Thank you.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

More proof that Morrissey was the most important element of The Smiths. Johnny's clunky repetive chords progressions ripped off from T Rex are not much to write home about as standalone tracks. Yet the isolated tracks of Morrissey's vocals that are out there (eg "Stop Me...") are spellbinding.

More proof that Morrissey was the most important element of The Smiths. Johnny's clunky repetive chords progressions ripped off from T Rex are not much to write home about as standalone tracks. Yet the isolated tracks of Morrissey's vocals that are out there (eg "Stop Me...") are spellbinding.

Funny, I immediately thought the opposite. How The Smiths sounded quite muscular on their own, and that his solo band has really dropped the ball for quite some time now.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your recording.

Hi all - just to add to this - I have the full sound-check recording. They actually attempt this song 4 times, this is the fourth time, so they really meant it. Other songs at the sound-check, all with Moz vocals, are Hand In Glove, Cemetry Gates and Bigmouth Strikes Again (twice).

Cool - sounds like a very early attempt at what would eventually evolve into 'Panic' - especially when the bass takes over at the end.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom