Smiths Rarities in FLAC/WAV

Ahh, so the fade choice was not yours. I've definitely perused some incarnation or other of the Never-Heard Symphonies set, but I couldn't recall the Glasgow '84 Girl Afraid being on there. Thanks for the input.

The file I have is this here MP3. I don't know whether it's the one labelled "Demo" or the one labelled "LP Out Take Used As B-Side" on the QID reference disc you illustrated above, but maybe you can clarify? If the one labelled "LP Out Take Used A B-Side" is actually an unedited presentation of the Bigmouth Strikes Again B-side (which clocked in at just under four minutes), then I'd assume my file is the one marked "Demo", as it sounds quite markedly different from the officially released recording in many respects. However, given the chatter at its conclusion of the take, I concede that it would probably be more accurately described as some kind of studio session rehearsal take than as a demonstration recording as such. Would you concur?
Unfortunately the ambiguity just makes it too hard to call. It definitely runs at the asserted time for the outtake version. However, where Stephane got that information from is anyone's guess (a CD might explain it maybe). As I've never seen RAK labelled on any tags and just 'demo' - makes it tougher too as I've not seen anything that would indicate it's that recording attached to the historical posts here or on Smiths Torrents - I will give my hard copy of the site a thorough look over the next few days.
I haven't forgotten to follow up - just had lots on - will finish up eventually :)
The Heaven Knows... may take a bit of time. The Hibbett videos aren't a problem if required to record MP3s however you want.
I see they were shared in FLAC elsewhere - which is ridiculous from a 128mb (at best) audio stream.
Regards,
FWD.

I haven't forgotten to follow up - just had lots on - will finish up eventually :)

No rush, good sir. I really appreciate all the input, you've been a tremendous help. :highfive:

The Heaven Knows... may take a bit of time. The Hibbett videos aren't a problem if required to record MP3s however you want.
I see they were shared in FLAC elsewhere - which is ridiculous from a 128mb (at best) audio stream.
Regards,
FWD.

I've been expecting that I'd have to hunt a copy of the HKIMN mispressing and get a needledrop done, so that would just be a big bonus if so ever/whensoever you were able to pull that one from somewhere. If you have the Hibbert YouTube rips handy, I absolutely would be grateful of a share of those when you have a chance. 🙌

By the way, FWD, I just finished putting together the set of BBC sessions I was compiling, made possible by your upload of I Don't Owe You Anything nigh on a week ago.

Would it be reproachable for me to share an MP3 version of the set here? Sixteen of its twenty-five tracks are sourced from official releases (namely Hatful of Hollow, The Peel Sessions, RTT 200 CD, WEA WPCR 12443 and Reprise ‎9 43525-2), at least one of which is still in print, so I figured I had better check first.

By the way, FWD, I just finished putting together the set of BBC sessions I was compiling, made possible by your upload of I Don't Owe You Anything nigh on a week ago.

Would it be reproachable for me to share an MP3 version of the set here? Sixteen of its twenty-five tracks are sourced from official releases (namely Hatful of Hollow, The Peel Sessions, RTT 200 CD, WEA WPCR 12443 and Reprise ‎9 43525-2), at least one of which is still in print, so I figured I had better check first.

That sort of thing has never stopped myself 😁
Feel free.
Regards,
FWD.

I'm a bit late to the party but always happy to help completists on a project. Let me know if there are any unsolved mysteries.

I was pretty diligent about squirrelling away rare versions as they showed up and would always prefer FLAC over MP3. I noticed that on occasion the unofficial recordings were actually better than the official ones - some of the Sandie Shaw collaborations, for instance. The official vinyl rips mostly came from What.CD when that site was alive and I wish I'd done a better job of ensuring I'd got everything before it went down because the mods there were fastidious. About half the CD rips are from my own collection. I recall manually making a Rubber Ring/ Asleep segue from whatever CD single I had them on.

As for the radio sessions, I'd love to hear where you've got to @Ess90. I got 95% through the same project a few times before aborting through lack of a decent version of Wonderful Woman. [edit: just seen your post]

I'd love to add these projects to the archive when they're done.

@Ess90 re: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now—Extended Mix, Rough Trade 12"

See what you make of this:

Tacky badge never shared in FLAC and the NHS one appears to be the digital composite.
Opinions!?
FWD.

I'm a bit late to the party but always happy to help completists on a project. Let me know if there are any unsolved mysteries.

I was pretty diligent about squirrelling away rare versions as they showed up and would always prefer FLAC over MP3. I noticed that on occasion the unofficial recordings were actually better than the official ones - some of the Sandie Shaw collaborations, for instance. The official vinyl rips mostly came from What.CD when that site was alive and I wish I'd done a better job of ensuring I'd got everything before it went down because the mods there were fastidious. About half the CD rips are from my own collection. I recall manually making a Rubber Ring/ Asleep segue from whatever CD single I had them on.

As for the radio sessions, I'd love to hear where you've got to @Ess90. I got 95% through the same project a few times before aborting through lack of a decent version of Wonderful Woman. [edit: just seen your post]

I'd love to add these projects to the archive when they're done.

Hi, David. Great to hear from you, and beg pardon for the slow reply (DIY has much to answer for). You're due a big thanks from me for your longstanding endeavor and for the existence of the Google Drive—the "Unofficial Recordings" section is a goldmine.

I wasn't expecting for them to find a home in the archive, but I'd certainly be happy to provide you with both MP3 and FLAC versions of the sets when they're all good to go. Aside from the BBC set (which I may make a couple more small tweaks to), there's a compilation of all seventeen single A-Sides (I realise it's been done officially, but not really to my satisfaction), a sequencing of Troy Tate recordings with the Crazy Face rehearsal tape included, a compilation I titled The Great Mancunian Songbook 1983–1987 which assembles the essential material that neither appeared on an album proper nor featured as a single A-Side and a final set which gives home to a disparate array of odds, ends, missing links and miscellanies.

@Ess90 re: Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now—Extended Mix, Rough Trade 12"

See what you make of this:

Tacky badge never shared in FLAC and the NHS one appears to be the digital composite.
Opinions!?
FWD.

Thanks for the upload, FWD. :clap: I shall investigate and report back in due course.

I wasn't expecting for them to find a home in the archive, but I'd certainly be happy to provide you with both MP3 and FLAC versions of the sets when they're all good to go.

Those sound like perfect candidates for the archive and I'd love to add them. Let me know when they're good to go.

I always get a bit of a surprise when I listen to that Heaven Knows extended mix and I'm not used to the bonus chorus. As best I know, this extended version when unnoticed for years, even by Stephane.

Those sound like perfect candidates for the archive and I'd love to add them. Let me know when they're good to go.

I always get a bit of a surprise when I listen to that Heaven Knows extended mix and I'm not used to the bonus chorus. As best I know, this extended version when unnoticed for years, even by Stephane.
13 years ago.

Re: Archive: if things like my book collection appear there without a source - can I add it myself!? Given the headaches tracing things, I think some link back to who shares what will help in the future. No desperate credit seeking intended.
Regards,
FWD.

Apologies to any interested parties for my tardiness in getting back to this thread. Haven't forgotten about it or abandoned the project, life stuff just took over for a while. I'll be returning to it in the coming weeks. :whip:

HI
FWD did wonder again,
I've been through google drive BUT I I cant seem to find a section that is just for hi res, flac
If i am being dumb ..Please help ..my hard drive died a month ago and EVERYTHING digital is now gone.
All Smiths and Moz items as physical forms but i would really like them on Hi Res again.
Can someone please pass me some links .

Thank you anyway .

HI
FWD did wonder again,
I've been through google drive BUT I I cant seem to find a section that is just for hi res, flac
If i am being dumb ..Please help ..my hard drive died a month ago and EVERYTHING digital is now gone.
All Smiths and Moz items as physical forms but i would really like them on Hi Res again.
Can someone please pass me some links .

Thank you anyway .
I believe DavidA has removed all official recordings from the archive. I'm assuming that's what you meant by hi-res / FLAC.
I'll look at the full size of what you're asking later, but suspect it's too much data to shunt easily across via file sharing sites and too big of a task for little ol' me.
Regards,
FWD.

has there been any new , old video stuff put lately ..gigs , interviews etc ?

I'm not sure if this is aimed at me but I'll answer anyway. I only collect Smiths recordings (not Morrissey) and I add things from time to time as they show up. Mostly it's re-compiling or re-mastering of existing things but every now and then it's something new, e.g. a couple of new-to-me recordings showed up on Dime a Dozen which I copied over.

I'm also late coming to this one. An excellent project. Thanks everyone for all their hard work. Would you be able to repost the WeTransfers as they've now expired?

I've got WAVs of work is a 4 letter word and what difference taken from the 7" vinyls. They may not be the best quality as I ripped them a long time ago when I wasn't so clued up about these sorts of things but they are definitely taken from the originals, rather than manual edits.

Then of course there are other vinyl oddities such as the Australian version of Some Girls and the Phil Brown versions of Headmaster Ritual and HSIN but maybe they're outside the scope of this particular thread.

I've got WAVs of work is a 4 letter word and what difference taken from the 7" vinyls. They may not be the best quality as I ripped them a long time ago when I wasn't so clued up about these sorts of things but they are definitely taken from the originals, rather than manual edits.

Then of course there are other vinyl oddities such as the Australian version of Some Girls and the Phil Brown versions of Headmaster Ritual and HSIN but maybe they're outside the scope of this particular thread.

I'd like to hear those rarities. Here's what I have in my archive. Happy to share.

Girl Afraid (Glasgow) Department Of Enjoyment NME.flac
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (12").mp3
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (Extended, CD sourced composite).mp3
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (Extended).mp3
How Soon Is Now (Phil Brown Edit).MP3
How Soon Is Now (UK Buzz Edit).mp3
Miserable Lie (Oxford) [Slow TapeRip RTSC1986].flac
Miserable Lie (Oxford).MP3
Shakespeare's Sister (Hollywood Palladium 06-27-85 - Rarities Vol. 2 [Promo Only]).mp3
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Australian Edit, No Fade).mp3
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (German Single Edit).mp3
The Headmaster Ritual (Phil Brown Edit, vinyl sourced, EQ'd).MP3
The Headmaster Ritual (Phil Brown Edit).mp3
The Queen is Dead (Edit).mp3
There is a Light (Josh Patrick Remix).mp3
What Difference Does It Make (Edit).mp3
Work Is A Four Letter Word (Edit).mp3

A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours.flac
Accept Yourself (David Jensen Session 5 Sep 1983).flac
Accept Yourself.flac
Ask (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Ask (Single Version - Slightly Longer).flac
Ask (Single Version).flac
Ask.flac
Asleep.flac
Back To The Old House (John Peel Session 21 Sep 1983).flac
Back To The Old House.flac
Barbarism Begins At Home (7'' Version).flac
Barbarism Begins At Home.flac
Bigmouth Strikes Again (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Bigmouth Strikes Again.flac
Cemetry Gates (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Cemetry Gates.flac
Death At One's Elbow.flac
Death Of A Disco Dancer.flac
Frankly, Mr Shankly.flac
Girl Afraid (Live Glasgow 2 March 1984).flac
Girl Afraid (Live Glasgow 1984-03-02).flac
Girl Afraid.flac
Girlfriend In A Coma.flac
Golden Lights.flac
Half A Person.flac
Hand In Glove (Featuring Sandie Shaw - Different Mix).flac
Hand In Glove (Featuring Sandie Shaw - Produced By Stephen Street).flac
Hand In Glove (Featuring Sandie Shaw, Alternate Mix).flac
Hand In Glove (Featuring Sandie Shaw).flac
Hand In Glove (Live London 29 June 1983).flac
Hand In Glove (Single Version).flac
Hand In Glove.flac
Handsome Devil (John Peel Session 31 May 1983).flac
Handsome Devil (Live Manchester 4 Feb 1983).flac
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now (Extended).flac
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.flac
How Soon Is Now (Fade-Out).flac
How Soon Is Now (Unfinished Studio Outtakes).flac
How Soon Is Now.flac
I Don't Owe You Anything (Featuring Sandie Shaw).flac
I Don't Owe You Anything (Saturday Live Session 14 Apr 1984, Sandie Shaw with Johnny and Andy).flac
I Don't Owe You Anything.flac
I Keep Mine Hidden (Different Mix).flac
I Keep Mine Hidden.flac
I Know It's Over (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
I Know It's Over.flac
I Started Something I Couldn't Finish.flac
I Want The One I Can't Have.flac
I Won't Share You.flac
Is It Really So Strange (John Peel Session 17 Dec 1986).flac
Is It Really So Strange (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Jeane (Featuring Sandie Shaw - Extended).flac
Jeane (Featuring Sandie Shaw).flac
Jeane (Saturday Live Session 14 Apr 1984, Sandie Shaw with Johnny and Andy).flac
Jeane.flac
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (Single Version).flac
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.flac
London (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
London.flac
Meat Is Murder (Live Oxford 18 March 1985).flac
Meat Is Murder.flac
Miserable Lie (John Peel Session 31 May 1983).flac
Miserable Lie.flac
Money Changes Everything.flac
Never Had No One Ever.flac
Nowhere Fast (John Peel Session 9 Aug 1984).flac
Nowhere Fast (Live Oxford 18 March 1985).flac
Nowhere Fast.flac
Oscillate Wildly.flac
Paint A Vulgar Picture.flac
Panic (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Panic.flac
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want.flac
Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate).flac
Pretty Girls Make Graves.flac
Reel Around The Fountain (John Peel Session 31 May 1983).flac
Reel Around The Fountain (Troy Tate, iTunes).flac
Reel Around The Fountain (Troy Tate).flac
Reel Around The Fountain.flac
Rubber Ring_Asleep.flac
Rubber Ring.flac
Rusholme Ruffians (John Peel Session 9 Aug 1984).flac
Rusholme Ruffians_(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame (Live Kilburn 23 Oct 1986).flac
Rusholme Ruffians_(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame (Live Kilburn 1986).flac
Rusholme Ruffians.flac
Shakespeare's Sister (Live Hollywood 27 June 1985).flac
Shakespeare's Sister (Live Hollywood 1985-06-27).flac
Shakespeare's Sister (Live Hollywood Palladium 1985-06-27).flac
Shakespeare's Sister (Live Oxford 18 March 1985).flac
Shakespeare's Sister.flac
Sheila Take A Bow.flac
Shoplifters Of The World Unite.flac
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Edited).flac
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Live London 12 Dec 1986).flac
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (Without Fade).flac