Some uplifting recommendatons needed

mattisek

As I'm upset struggeling with life a bit at the moment I just ask fellow SoLowers for advice to cheer me up a bit.

Any recommendations welcome (music, art, movies and so on). Thanks!

Okay, so this list is going based off of my personal favorites that always make me smile. You might think them weird, so I put descriptions.

For Movies:
-Send Me No Flowers
George Kimball (Rock Hudson) is a sweet husband, a respectable businessman … and a hopeless hypochondriac. He overhears his physician discussing another patient's terminal diagnosis and mistakes it for his own, prompting him to find a suitable husband for his wife, Judy (Doris Day). George's error leads to a whole sequence of hilarious mix-ups. Doris Day sings the title song in this Hudson-Day comedy classic. (I thought it was funny and cute.)

-Shaun of the Dead
Thirty-something slacker Shaun (Simon Pegg) has no clue what to do with his life or with his relationship with his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield). But motivation comes in the form of a freak zombie attack that has once-ordinary citizens terrorizing the streets of London. With support from his well-meaning best mate (Nick Frost), Shaun acts quickly to save Liz and his mother (Penelope Wilton) from danger. But is it simply too late for heroics?(Really, really funny. I am not a zombie movie person, but I love this.)

-Hot Fuzz
A top London cop (Simon Pegg) is ready to die of boredom when his superiors transfer him to a sleepy English village to work alongside a blundering but well-meaning young constable (Nick Frost). But soon enough, the town begins to stir with a series of grisly "accidents." Is foul play afoot in this seemingly idyllic hamlet, where nothing remotely serious ever happens? Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) directs. (Another of my favorites. I love it more and more every time I watch it.)

-Amelie
When impish gamine Amélie (Audrey Tautou), who lives alone, finds a long-hidden trove of toys behind a baseboard in her apartment, she's inspired to repatriate the items, an impulse of generosity that sparks more benevolent acts. A celebration of life and love, French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Oscar-nominated charmer stresses the importance of small wonders that surround us, if only we paused to look. (Sweetest romantic movie. It has funny bits, strange bits, and really lovely bits. More than just a plain romantic movie.)

-Strictly Ballroom
Dumped by his partner just before a major dance competition, gifted hoofer Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio) is forced to take a graceless neophyte (Tara Morice) as his new partner. But much to everyone's surprise, Scott soon turns his unpromising protégé into a topnotch dancer. Bill Hunter, Pat Thomson, Gia Carides and Barry Otto also star in this quirky, engaging tale from Aussie director Baz Luhrmann. (This is a new favorite of mine. Funny and romantic.)

TV shows:

-Arrested Development
This wickedly funny Emmy-winning sitcom follows the tribulations of the Bluths, a wealthy California clan gone to the dogs after paterfamilias and real estate tycoon George Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) gets busted for fraud. Now long-suffering son Michael (Jason Bateman) keeps the family business afloat as he spars with his boozy mother (Jessica Walter), vapid siblings (Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett and Tony Hale) and other wildly dysfunctional relatives. (It really is wickedly funny.)

-The IT Crowd
In the age-old clash of IT versus the corporation, basement-dwelling dweebs Roy (Chris O'Dowd) and Moss (Richard Ayoade) face off against cloddish owner-come-lately Douglas (Matt Berry), with tech-illiterate relationship manager Jen (Katherine Parkinson) running interference. The British sitcom finds the expert misfits inventing undergarments when they aren't mastering football-speak, while serial dater Jen's prospects never seem to improve. (Always makes me laugh.)

-Black Books
A misanthropic London bookshop owner named Bernard Black (Dylan Moran) wakes up from a bender to discover, to his horror, that he's hired cheery Manny Bianco (Bill Bailey) as a clerk. Bernard soon finds that Manny is a natural salesman and the perfect foil for his antisocial rants. Fran (Tamsin Greig), who owns an arts and crafts shop next door, does her time as Bernard's only friend and drinking buddy. (Strange, but very funny.)

Hope you enjoy some of these!:)

As I'm upset struggeling with life a bit at the moment I just ask fellow SoLowers for advice to cheer me up a bit.

Any recommendations welcome (music, art, movies and so on). Thanks!

I don't know your issue, so I hope this won't hit wrong: Go help out at a homeless shelter or go for a visit in a children's hospital. Maybe things will be put into perspective.

OK, I know this is sort of a chick flick, and i don't know why but i love this movie, and it seems to fit the bill as far as cheering up a bit. Bit embarrassing in a guilty secret sort of way but here goes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/

Thank you for your input and effort, KenzieW!

I have watched a couple of the movies and especilly loved Hot Fuzz and Send Me No Flowers (love Doris Day in general). For whatever reason I have never watched Amelie. Maybe I should check it out soon. I'm usally not so keen on TV shows but I may have look at Black Books.

Last edited:
OK, I know this is sort of a chick flick, and i don't know why but i love this movie, and it seems to fit the bill as far as cheering up a bit. Bit embarrassing in a guilty secret sort of way but here goes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241303/

Another one I have missed so far. I like the female cast.

And I totally understand from a male point of view that you feel a bit embarrassed but it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Okay, so this list is going based off of my personal favorites that always make me smile. You might think them weird, so I put descriptions.

For Movies:
-Send Me No Flowers
George Kimball (Rock Hudson) is a sweet husband, a respectable businessman … and a hopeless hypochondriac. He overhears his physician discussing another patient's terminal diagnosis and mistakes it for his own, prompting him to find a suitable husband for his wife, Judy (Doris Day). George's error leads to a whole sequence of hilarious mix-ups. Doris Day sings the title song in this Hudson-Day comedy classic. (I thought it was funny and cute.)

-Shaun of the Dead
Thirty-something slacker Shaun (Simon Pegg) has no clue what to do with his life or with his relationship with his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield). But motivation comes in the form of a freak zombie attack that has once-ordinary citizens terrorizing the streets of London. With support from his well-meaning best mate (Nick Frost), Shaun acts quickly to save Liz and his mother (Penelope Wilton) from danger. But is it simply too late for heroics?(Really, really funny. I am not a zombie movie person, but I love this.)

-Hot Fuzz
A top London cop (Simon Pegg) is ready to die of boredom when his superiors transfer him to a sleepy English village to work alongside a blundering but well-meaning young constable (Nick Frost). But soon enough, the town begins to stir with a series of grisly "accidents." Is foul play afoot in this seemingly idyllic hamlet, where nothing remotely serious ever happens? Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) directs. (Another of my favorites. I love it more and more every time I watch it.)

-Amelie
When impish gamine Amélie (Audrey Tautou), who lives alone, finds a long-hidden trove of toys behind a baseboard in her apartment, she's inspired to repatriate the items, an impulse of generosity that sparks more benevolent acts. A celebration of life and love, French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet's Oscar-nominated charmer stresses the importance of small wonders that surround us, if only we paused to look. (Sweetest romantic movie. It has funny bits, strange bits, and really lovely bits. More than just a plain romantic movie.)

-Strictly Ballroom
Dumped by his partner just before a major dance competition, gifted hoofer Scott Hastings (Paul Mercurio) is forced to take a graceless neophyte (Tara Morice) as his new partner. But much to everyone's surprise, Scott soon turns his unpromising protégé into a topnotch dancer. Bill Hunter, Pat Thomson, Gia Carides and Barry Otto also star in this quirky, engaging tale from Aussie director Baz Luhrmann. (This is a new favorite of mine. Funny and romantic.)

TV shows:

-Arrested Development
This wickedly funny Emmy-winning sitcom follows the tribulations of the Bluths, a wealthy California clan gone to the dogs after paterfamilias and real estate tycoon George Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) gets busted for fraud. Now long-suffering son Michael (Jason Bateman) keeps the family business afloat as he spars with his boozy mother (Jessica Walter), vapid siblings (Portia de Rossi, Will Arnett and Tony Hale) and other wildly dysfunctional relatives. (It really is wickedly funny.)

-The IT Crowd
In the age-old clash of IT versus the corporation, basement-dwelling dweebs Roy (Chris O'Dowd) and Moss (Richard Ayoade) face off against cloddish owner-come-lately Douglas (Matt Berry), with tech-illiterate relationship manager Jen (Katherine Parkinson) running interference. The British sitcom finds the expert misfits inventing undergarments when they aren't mastering football-speak, while serial dater Jen's prospects never seem to improve. (Always makes me laugh.)

-Black Books
A misanthropic London bookshop owner named Bernard Black (Dylan Moran) wakes up from a bender to discover, to his horror, that he's hired cheery Manny Bianco (Bill Bailey) as a clerk. Bernard soon finds that Manny is a natural salesman and the perfect foil for his antisocial rants. Fran (Tamsin Greig), who owns an arts and crafts shop next door, does her time as Bernard's only friend and drinking buddy. (Strange, but very funny.)

Hope you enjoy some of these!:)

I love your choices! Arrested Development was amazing. I'm still waiting for netflix to get season three of IT Crowd. I can't go into a handicap bathroom without quoting 'I'm disabled' in a falsetto if my sister is in the public restroom as well. Sick, I know but she laughs.

Black Books is a side splitter. It's hard not to forget your troubles watching this show. I'm going to see if Netflix has 'Send me now Flowers'.
I'd like to throw 'Spaced' into the mix since you brought up Shaun of the Dead.

My other recs would be :
TV- Flight of the Conchords This duo from New Zealand had a hbo tv show about two guys in a band in New York. Their manager Murray manages their band while working at the embassy.
They sing lots of great songs on the show.

Movies-
Box of Moonlight - It starts John Turturro, Sam Rockwell and Catherine Keener. It's my feel good movie of all time.
Manhatten Murder Mystery - Woody Allen's wife played by Diane Keaton thinks their neighbour killed their wife.
Inglorious Basterds - I nearly died laughing when Brad Pitt fakes speaking Italian!

Music- IAMX
Foals
Wolf Parade This song 'little golden age' never fails to lift me up.

Books- I find getting obsessed with a book series is the best cure for depression.
Harry Potter! If you haven't read them please get them.
The Fever Series by Karen Moning. Dark Fever book 1
Watership Down by Richard Adams.
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know your issue, so I hope this won't hit wrong: Go help out at a homeless shelter or go for a visit in a children's hospital. Maybe things will be put into perspective.

I don't mean this as a rant to the original poster. I've just got to add my two cents on why the people have it worse than you and volunteer at a homeless shelter is not a cure for depression.
Helping animals at a local shelter were a part of my mom's rehab program BUT it did not make her happy. She used to insult me for using music to make myself feel better but we're all different. She used drugs and I listened to Moz.

It depends on why someone is upset. If you want to walk out of your job because your manager mocked you in a meeting then sure visiting people who'd be grateful for job might make them get perspective.
If someone is worried because the press has whipped us into a frenzy about recessions here in the states via debt ceiling then no it would not. If you depend on ssn or veteran salary you would be very worried. Visiting homeless people won't help with THOSE looming fears. Loss of medicaid won't help seeing sick children who are going to be tossed out of hospital possibly in the coming months.
No one should ignore these problems but if it's meant to be uplifting well that's not a reason to go.

People should volunteer to stop people from going hungry. Shop at businesses who give food to the hungry and donate money if you CAN.
It's actually a crime to help homeless people in Florida if you do it without a permit and they keep rezoning the areas to get them out of the city. You'll be arrested if you give money to a panhandler. Panhandlers can get permits though.

The UK has all the news of the world chatter going on. People are being whipped up into a frenzy via letters by Pickle and Cameron about 40,000 more homeless people.
It's no wonder people need a distraction.
The Casey Anthony thing is a hot mess in my state.

The people have worse than you argument might be popular but I never thought it helped.

Working at a jail and seeing people get arrested never made ME feel better about myself or the world's problems that's for sure. Sure I'm lucky not to have a drug problem or be the victims of some criminals but really it doesn't change a thing about my life.
For those of us working in public sector jobs facing more and more job cuts and benefits of course we feel bad sometimes.

Making someone laugh or reading a good book does make a person feel good. Laughter is the best medicine.

Last edited:
I love your choices! Arrested Development was amazing. I'm still waiting for netflix to get season three of IT Crowd. I can't go into a handicap bathroom without quoting 'I'm disabled' in a falsetto if my sister is in the public restroom as well. Sick, I know but she laughs.

Black Books is a side splitter. It's hard not to forget your troubles watching this show. I'm going to see if Netflix has 'Send me now Flowers'.
I'd like to throw 'Spaced' into the mix since you brought up Shaun of the Dead.

My other recs would be :
TV- Flight of the Conchords This duo from New Zealand had a hbo tv show about two guys in a band in New York. Their manager Murray manages their band while working at the embassy.
They sing lots of great songs on the show.

Movies-
Box of Moonlight - It starts John Turturro, Sam Rockwell and Catherine Keener. It's my feel good movie of all time.
Manhatten Murder Mystery - Woody Allen's wife played by Diane Keaton thinks their neighbour killed their wife.
Inglorious Basterds - I nearly died laughing when Brad Pitt fakes speaking Italian!

Music- IAMX
Foals
Wolf Parade This song 'little golden age' never fails to lift me up.

Books- I find getting obsessed with a book series is the best cure for depression.
Harry Potter! If you haven't read them please get them.
The Fever Series by Karen Moning. Dark Fever book 1
Watership Down by Richard Adams.
The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Ahhh, oh my god! You watch those too? Even Spaced? I thought most people would call it crazy, but I loved it. New best friend. :D (I know, I get too excited.:p) I will have to check your recommendations too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
@peptastic: Cheers.

I love Inglorious Basterds despite the fact I hate my fellow countryman Till Schweiger. Will have a look at the other recs.

Last edited:
Play It Again, Sam by Woody Allen and The General by Buster Keaton.

The Good Soldier Svejk and His Fortunes in the World War by Jaroslav Hasek.

this always makes me giggle.

:)

Thanks to the other posters too! Feeling better already today. I plan to have a movie night this weekend with two friends and some of your recommendations.

Keep posting, really appreciated! May the force be with you...

Ahhh, oh my god! You watch those too? Even Spaced? I thought most people would call it crazy, but I loved it. New best friend. :D (I know, I get too excited.:p) I will have to check your recommendations too.

Yup I love Spaced! I think Daisy is my tv twin sometimes.
My actual twin got me the Spaced and Blackbook dvds for Christmas back in '05 along with a region free dvd player. How I love her! :D Now I'm obsessed with spaced, father ted, blackbooks, IT crowd, etc.

Spaced does tend to get overlooked for some reason. Maybe they really love the Star Wars prequels and don't like when it gets insulted.

I have an unhealthy obsession with this song from Garth Marenghi's 'Dark Place'.
Richard Ayoade rapping!

Back
Top Bottom