I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Jesse
What Kind Of People Live In these Houses? - Jesse
Knockabout World - Jesse
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - Mando
Once I Saw The River Clean - Jesse
The Truth About Ruth - Gustavo
The Secret Of Music - Mando
My Hurling Days Are Done - Jesse

Also Mike Daly mentioned as a composer on some of the tracks as well as keyboardist Roger Manning but no mention of Boz as a composer this time.

Smiler With Knife
I’m Not A Man
Kiss Me A Lot
Forgive Someone
Kick The Bride Down the Aisle

I almost switched you have killed me with kick the bride. It stands out as something different amongst his cowrites

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Moz has never held a hurley in his life

This is what I could find, may miss a b-side.

All You Need Is Me
Children in Pieces
Forgive Someone
In The Future When All’s Well
If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me
I Bury the Living
I Just Want To See The Boy Happy
I Knew I Was Next
I’m Not a Man
I’m OK By Myself
Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
Kiss Me a Lot
On The Streets I Ran
Smiler With Knife
Sorry Doesn’t Help
The Bullfighter Dies
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
When You Open Your Legs
You Have Killed Me
Thank you kindly! Looking through this list, I find that Jesse is a bit underrated. Even by me! Not many of these could be considered really bad songs. Sure, he’s no Alain or prime Boz, but he’s nowhere near as horrible as many people would like us to believe. In some ways, he followed Alain, replaced him, almost, and that made his songs seem worse than they are. Alain’s a tough act to follow. And sure, Jesse tends to be a bit chug-chug, meat-and-potatoes, but then again more so before than now. These past six years he’s really showed us his width and diversity.
Top 5:
1. Forgive Someone
2. YHKM
3. Smiler...
4. I’m not a Man
5. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy

All You Need Is Me
Children in Pieces
Forgive Someone
In The Future When All’s Well
If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me
I Bury the Living
I Knew I Was Next
I Thought You Were Dead
I’m Not a Man
I’m OK By Myself
Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
Kiss Me a Lot
On The Streets I Ran
People Are The Same Everywhere
Smiler With Knife
Sorry Doesn’t Help
The Bullfighter Dies
The Youngest Was The Most Loved
When You Open Your Legs
You Have Killed Me

21 in total by Jesse excluding IANADOAC

1. Forgive Someone
2. All You Need Is Me
3. Kiss Me A Lot
4. You Have Killed
5. Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

This was hard, I really like many of those songs.
I don't have anything against Jesse in general but I f***ing hate "People Are The Same Everywhere". It's definitely the worst Morrissey song for me.

All You Need Is Me
I’m Not a Man
Kiss Me a Lot
When You Open Your Legs

Top 10 Jesse-songs:

1. You Have Killed Me
2. I Thought You Were Dead
3. Forgive Someone
4. The Youngest Was The Most Loved
5. All You Need Is Me
6. If You Don’t Like Me, Don’t Look At Me
7. On The Streets I Ran
8. I Knew I Was Next
9. Kiss Me a Lot
10. The Bullfighter Dies

Hmm top would be

I’m not a man
Kiss me a lot
Smiler with knife
Kick the bride down the isle
The bullfighter dies
I thought you were dead
You have killed me
All you need is me
When you open your legs
The youngest was the most loved

I thought you were dead
All you need is me
Smiler with knife
I´m not a man
On the streets I ran

very exited for the new songs

Having watched that recent thread with the interview with Alain Whyte, it was clear that he'd love to get back to writing with Moz.
Not sure that's going to happen anytime soon though, as that ship may have sailed.

He's said several times before (and would tell you any day of the week) Morrissey is right up there with the best lyricists of all time and is the best he's has ever worked with, without question. He's also on record as saying that he'd work with Moz again under the right circumstances. Mozzer seems to be getting away from that indie/alternative rock type of writing and yearning to be a bit more mainstream these days, though. Personally, if Mozzer's happy, I'm happy for him even if I'm not as keen on the current offerings. His voice is still beautiful and the lyrics still speak to me. As previously mentioned, the style just isn't my thing no matter how talented the musicians are (and they are).

He's said several times before (and would tell you any day of the week) Morrissey is right up there with the best lyricists of all time and is the best he's has ever worked with, without question. He's also on record as saying that he'd work with Moz again under the right circumstances. Mozzer seems to be getting away from that indie/alternative rock type of writing and yearning to be a bit more mainstream these days, though. Personally, if Mozzer's happy, I'm happy for him even if I'm not as keen on the current offerings. His voice is still beautiful and the lyrics still speak to me. As previously mentioned, the style just isn't my thing no matter how talented the musicians are (and they are).

And the style of Roy's Keen and Dagenham Dave was your thing? I can understand people longing for Johnny Marr and Steven Street who composed almost nothing but brilliant songs but, really, Alan wrote so much mediocre filler. Yes, a handful of great songs but so much dull plod. Anyone who thinks Roy's Keen is a better composition than 'Bobby, don't you think they know' simply doesn't understand music.

Gustavo has been in the band for ten years now and I can't count a "great song" of his on one finger.

Morrissey desperately needs a new band ... a producer who knows how to edit a song ... a graphic artist ... and a record company that actually gives a shit.
And fans who are balanced and listen to other music. The amount of rabid sycophants on this site is staggering.

And the style of Roy's Keen and Dagenham Dave was your thing? I can understand people longing for Johnny Marr and Steven Street who composed almost nothing but brilliant songs but, really, Alan wrote so much mediocre filler. Yes, a handful of great songs but so much dull plod. Anyone who thinks Roy's Keen is a better composition than 'Bobby, don't you think they know' simply doesn't understand music.

I actually do dig both of those songs... do I think they're "great" songs? No, but they do have redeeming qualities. Roy's Keen isn't a masterful composition, but I do like it and find it a nice sing-a-long when it plays. As for "not understanding music", the dismissal of the incredible chord progressions, etc. on Dagenham Dave would suggest... well, I'll let it speak for itself. It's a common belief that on both of those tracks, if there is any fault to be found, it is with the lyrics. While I'm not as harsh a critic of the lyrics as some others, I would admit that they are the weak link in those tunes. Having said all that, Alain has written some throwaway tunes that Moz has saved lyrically (again, I'm sure Alain would readily admit this as well). Speaking as a fan, to me that was always the beauty of Mozzers artistic output in the past... regardless of who he co-wrote with I could always count on the symbiotic-like writing partnership, the chemistry, making songs I found to at the very least be enjoyable. Many times... simply sublime. If there was a drop-off in lyrics, the music would buoy it. When the music tended toward "pedestrian", the magic of the lyrics and singing breathed life into the songs. When the two things aligned, no one was better. It's personal preference/opinion, of course, but that just doesn't seem to be happening as consistently any longer. I still really like some of the newer songs, but not to the degree as in the past. It would have been nice if Boz would have gotten a few tunes on the new record. He's written some of Moz's best work in the past as well. Hope the Mando tracks are as good as his past effort and would be interested to know if Matt submitted anything and what it sounded like. He's truly very talented. Anyway... too many rambling words. Apologies.

Jim Jim Falls - Jesse
Love Is On Its Way Out - Gustavo
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - Gustavo
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Jesse
What Kind Of People Live In these Houses? - Jesse
Knockabout World - Jesse
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - Mando
Once I Saw The River Clean - Jesse
The Truth About Ruth - Gustavo
The Secret Of Music - Mando
My Hurling Days Are Done - Jesse

Also Mike Daly mentioned as a composer on some of the tracks as well as keyboardist Roger Manning but no mention of Boz as a composer this time.
Major credit to Jesse. All of his songs were great.

Major credit to Jesse. All of his songs were great.

Songwriters for IANADOAC

Jim Jim Falls - Morrissey, Jesse Tobias & Michael Daly
Love Is On Its Way Out - Morrissey & Gustavo Manzur
Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? - Morrissey & Gustavo Manzur
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - Morrissey & Jesse Tobias
What Kind Of People Live In these Houses? - Morrissey & Jesse Tobias
Knockabout World - Morrissey, Jesse Tobias, Michael Daly & Roger Manning Jr
Darling, I Hug A Pillow - Morrissey & Mando Lopez
Once I Saw The River Clean - Morrissey, Jesse Tobias & Michael Daly
The Truth About Ruth - Morrissey & Gustavo Manzur
The Secret Of Music - Morrissey, Andrea Bulletti, Harold Spiro, Mando Lopez & Valerie Murtagh
My Hurling Days Are Done - Morrissey, Jesse Tobias & Michael Daly

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom