SOPA - Stop Internet Piracy Act

Are you in favor of sopa?

• Yes- copyright infringment is bad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peptastic

How do you guys in the US feel about this possible new bill? They are supposed to vote on it Jan 24th.
It's geared in theory towards stopping internet piracy but the possibilities of affecting sites like fickr, tubmlr, google, etsy, libraries, youtube, etc. are pretty scary.
One copyright offender and they can stop payment for owner of the server.

Another irritating thing in my book about protecting "intellectual property" is that the entertainment industry is already filled with rip-offs. No one alive today created vampires, witches, the love triangle formula, etc. but they want to police the internet?
What was wrong with informing the server to take down offending material themselves instead of having the government watch everyone for possible criminals?
The national firewall thing might be abused. This is based on the one used in China.

Here's some sites on it if you aren't familiar with the bill-
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/244011/the_us_stop_online_piracy_act_a_primer.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/sopa-stop-online-piracy-act-debate-why-are-google-and-facebook-against-it/2011/11/17/gIQAvLubVN_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

Last edited:
These lawmakers are a bunch of f***ing idiots

They keep trying to put a stop to something that simply cannot be stopped. All they're going to do is piss the multitudes off, and the general public (who are much smarter and much more clever than anybody making any laws these days) will just find new ways to pirate online, as a "f*** you" to the ones who made the law in the first place

Why aren't these lawmaking dipshits looking at the big businesses who have been ripping off artists and musicians for decades? Or hollywood directors and thespians who make more money on one film than they'll ever need in their lifetime? Or these gassed-up sports athletes making obscene amounts of money and then failing to lead their respective teams to championships?

Tax THEM

and leave the common man alone. All you're doing is pissing us off and ensuring you lose more money in the future

These lawmakers are a bunch of f***ing idiots

They keep trying to put a stop to something that simply cannot be stopped. All they're going to do is piss the multitudes off, and the general public (who are much smarter and much more clever than anybody making any laws these days) will just find new ways to pirate online, as a "f*** you" to the ones who made the law in the first place

Why aren't these lawmaking dipshits looking at the big businesses who have been ripping off artists and musicians for decades? Or hollywood directors and thespians who make more money on one film than they'll ever need in their lifetime? Or these gassed-up sports athletes making obscene amounts of money and then failing to lead their respective teams to championships?

Tax THEM

and leave the common man alone. All you're doing is pissing us off and ensuring you lose more money in the future

Too right! There's a reason why so many people download illegally.

you can tell these people are a bunch of f***ing morons; they can't even get their own acronym correct.

Stop Internet Piracy Act = SIPA, not SOPA

maybe they should change it to STUPID.

Well it looks like SOPA has been put out of action for the moment....but what is PIPA? Is it exactly the same company?

So I guess we're all supposed to boycott the internet tomorrow?

No. What would happen to the internet, and what would be the point of the internet? Right now the internet is a magical free world full of knowledge and freedom. And what would happen to the Morrissey frink thread? (Shudders to think of an internet that doesn't have a Sexy Morrissey thread.:eek:)

EDIT: with that in mind I just signed the petition here: http://www.google.com/takeaction/

Last edited by a moderator:
No. What would happen to the internet, and what would be the point of the internet? Right now the internet is a magical free world full of knowledge and freedom. And what would happen to the Morrissey frink thread? (Shudders to think of an internet that doesn't have a Sexy Morrissey thread.:eek:)

EDIT: with that in mind I just signed the petition here: http://www.google.com/takeaction/

I was thinking of signing it myself, but I hate giving any personal information away! :(

I was thinking of signing it myself, but I hate giving any personal information away! :(

Davie, they only want a picture of your penis. Relax, it's not a big deal.

Well it looks like SOPA has been put out of action for the moment....but what is PIPA? Is it exactly the same company?

PIPA is the senate version. It's slightly less evil because it doesn't involve the Chinaesque blocking which would result in people using tor network or other ways to get on the net.

PIPA would put website owners like Mozsolo in a tough position.
If i were to post a link to a site that linked to a site that linked to pirating and they didn't turn me in then THEY'd go to jail.
They won't have to go to trial like with megauploads. Just say we violate copyright and it's down.
I can imagine what they'd do to small but legal competitors. They would have to prove iiraa knew they weren't violating copyright to be allowed back on. Not to mention preventing payment from advertisers or customers.
Thus etsy is out of business. How can they possibly stay up while monitoring the site 24/7.
If they didn't THEY are in trouble.
pipa has a nasty bit about faciliating copyright.
They aren't targeting just the sites themselves but websites that link to them.

PIPA sucks too.
I think they created two bills to get pipa through. "It's not as bad as SOPA."

They are probably hoping next year they can sneak it past the voters.
Rubio, one of my FL senators initially sponsored the thing but withdrew his support due to the backlash.

SOPA was more about putting us behind a firewall so no one could access sites from countries where it was legal.
Not that they seem to need a bill for that when England is going to hand them over anyway.
By the way it sickens me tvshack's owner is being extradited to face charges for breaking OUR laws.
With pipa in place expect Canadians to be in trouble for not following our extended copyright laws.

Last edited:
PIPA is the senate version. It's slightly less evil because it doesn't involve the Chinaesque blocking which would result in people using tor network or other ways to get on the net.

PIPA would put website owners like Mozsolo in a tough position.
If i were to post a link to a site that linked to a site that linked to pirating and they didn't turn me in then THEY'd go to jail.
They won't have to go to trial like with megauploads. Just say we violate copyright and it's down.
I can imagine what they'd do to small but legal competitors. They would have to prove iiraa knew they weren't violating copyright to be allowed back on. Not to mention preventing payment from advertisers or customers.
Thus etsy is out of business. How can they possibly stay up while monitoring the site 24/7.
If they didn't THEY are in trouble.
pipa has a nasty bit about faciliating copyright.
They aren't targeting just the sites themselves but websites that link to them.

PIPA sucks too.
I think they created two bills to get pipa through. "It's not as bad as SOPA."

They are probably hoping next year they can sneak it past the voters.
Rubio, one of my FL senators initially sponsored the thing but withdrew his support due to the backlash.

SOPA was more about putting us behind a firewall so no one could access sites from countries where it was legal.
Not that they seem to need a bill for that when England is going to hand them over anyway.
By the way it sickens me tvshack's owner is being extradited to face charges for breaking OUR laws.
With pipa in place expect Canadians to be in trouble for not following our extended copyright laws.

do you think PIPA may win?

Maybe not this time but as they already tried to put sopa through without informing anyone whose to say it won't happen again. It was only shelved. Pipa could go through. Obama only didn't like the dns bit from sopa.
He also said he'd veto the NDAA bill but signed it in anyway. [HE asked for it to apply to Americans on American soil.]
This has me thinking this is really to get at wikileak style bloggers and why despite voter disapproval it might.

It could go either way.
Mainly writing our congress might stop this. That's why some of the big supporters have said they withdrew support.
I wrote some of my Florida reps. Thank goodness wikipedia and google got the word out despite the mainstream press.
A lot of people are. We have hope!

At any rate they need to take a serious look at the shoot ask questions later power they are giving the studios with this law. They have copyright laws in place already. This is unnecessary.

But this whole extraditing uk citizens business has me thinking this isn't going away.

Those of us who read boingboing or tech blogs knew about sopa. Mainstream media in the us didn't mention it for months.
We had to read guardian.co.uk and blogs or we didn't know it was happening.
I mean, fox the company [who went after legal sites and couldn't take down Buffy websites following fair use in the '90s] is also owned by Murdoch so fox news didn't cover this story. They had an interest to want this to go through.

PIPA/SOPA has too much potentional to be abused. It's vague and extreme.

Back
Top Bottom