Spotted Jesse at the Cat & Fiddle today

manicboy

On holiday in LA and went to the Cat & Fiddle for 'UnHappy Hour'. Was firmly tucked into the Welsh Rarebit when Jesse showed up and sat down a few feet away. He sat with a friend and ordered wine and chips (surely the requisite Moz posse order). Anyway, overheard plenty of 'He' references and a mention of meeting with 'He' in London. There was also some discussion about the new band member but I didn't get any specific details. Was going to ask how they ever attached the 7-inch to their penises for the nude record shot but chickened out in the end because I'm sad and old. Such is the fleeting life in LA.

On holiday in LA and went to the Cat & Fiddle for 'UnHappy Hour'. Was firmly tucked into the Welsh Rarebit when Jesse showed up and sat down a few feet away. He sat with a friend and ordered wine and chips (surely the requisite Moz posse order). Anyway, overheard plenty of 'He' references and a mention of meeting with 'He' in London. There was also some discussion about the new band member but I didn't get any specific details. Was going to ask how they ever attached the 7-inch to their penises for the nude record shot but chickened out in the end because I'm sad and old. Such is the fleeting life in LA.

You should have done us all a favor and chopped off his right hand.

Why? Becasue you don't think he's as good as Johnny Marr or Alain Whyte? Get over it.

Because he's responsible for turning this

Into this

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Into this

Dave

not really a fair comparison. a (clearly bad) decision was obviously made to re-arrange This Charming Man. presumably, it would have been Morrissey's and/or Boz's decision - the band are obviously not trying to play the original version.
when Jesse joined the band and started playing Smiths songs (not sure which ones he's played exactly - Hand in Glove, William, Please Please Please, Bigmouth?), the consensus seemed to be that he was better at it than Alain who used to be pretty sloppy (remember the mess he made of Is It Really So Strange among others).
Alain (on a good day) is clearly the better songwriter but not any better at playing Marr's guitar parts.
however, what cannot be denied is that the band's recent version of This Charming Man is horrible. if Morrissey opens the first night of the tour with it, it will be drowned out by the sound of a thousand hearts sinking!

Yeah but Jesse isn't Johnny Marr is he? Of course he plays differently. Why do you all expect him to be picth perfect like Johnny?

Why? Becasue you don't think he's as good as Johnny Marr or Alain Whyte? Get over it.

I don't think he isn't as good as Marr or Whyte...He ISN'T as good as Marr or Whyte. FACT.

Even The Red Hot Chili Peppers had enough since to get rid of him after a week! LOL.

Into this

Dave

Quoted for truth!

not really a fair comparison. a (clearly bad) decision was obviously made to re-arrange This Charming Man. presumably, it would have been Morrissey's and/or Boz's decision - the band are obviously not trying to play the original version.
when Jesse joined the band and started playing Smiths songs (not sure which ones he's played exactly - Hand in Glove, William, Please Please Please, Bigmouth?), the consensus seemed to be that he was better at it than Alain who used to be pretty sloppy (remember the mess he made of Is It Really So Strange among others).
Alain (on a good day) is clearly the better songwriter but not any better at playing Marr's guitar parts.
however, what cannot be denied is that the band's recent version of This Charming Man is horrible. if Morrissey opens the first night of the tour with it, it will be drowned out by the sound of a thousand hearts sinking!

Alain is clearly the best solo songwriter EVERY DAY. Lol.Whyte is also the better live musician for many reasons, one being that everything he plays doesn't sound like a muddled power chord.

I've heard Alain play "Is It Really So Strange?" and the only problem with it is his and Boz's tone. MOST solo and Smiths songs were played like that for a BIGGER sound...that was the case until they added a keyboard to the mix in 04, then songs were played closer to the studio versions...see, 'There Is A Light" from 1999 and compare it to 2004. In the 1999 version Alain has to play the keyboard part on guitar, which means he can't play the normal lead. In 2004, Mikey is playing the keyboard which allows Boz and Alain to play their appropriate parts...

Alain and Boz had to rearrange songs for years because the band lacked an extra musician. I think the problem is people never got to see more of what Alain and Boz could have done once Mikey came along because, as we all know, Alain "took ill" and had to drop out of the tour before it was finished.

Jesse on the other hand has no excuse for botching almost everything he touches...other than being a bad guitar player, of course.

Yeah but Jesse isn't Johnny Marr is he? Of course he plays differently. Why do you all expect him to be picth perfect like Johnny?

If some guy no one has heard of other than Youtube (Daniel Earwicker) can replicate the sound, why can't Jesse? Because Jesse isn't any good...

Maybe Morrissey doesn't want a guitarist who's a carbon copy of Johnny Marr, Mmm he can't be that shit if Moz has stuck with him for about 5 years.

Maybe Morrissey doesn't want a guitarist who's a carbon copy of Johnny Marr, Mmm he can't be that shit if Moz has stuck with him for about 5 years.

He's stuck with him for 5 years because he's sleeping with him.

Also, look how long Kris Pooley was kept around!

No...

But standing naked and touching his manboob on the 'Paris' single and their slow dance in the "Ganglord" video did.

They were all naked on that single. And they weren't 'slow-dancing', they were waltzing. Got to love rumours huh? Jesse isn't gay.

Is there documented evidence of Jesse noticeably missing notes by accident or playing out of key or tempo? THIS is what would make a bad guitarist. Just because you don't like the STYLE someone uses (i.e., a specific tone of distortion, abundant bends and hammer-ons in their leads) doesn't mean that the person is a bad musician. I think that's got a lot of people here on solo confused -- that their opinion isn't fact. I for one haven't heard a clip of Jesse legitimately fumbling notes or playing out of sync with the rest of the band. I may not like his style, but I'm not going to say he's a bad musician. He's an experienced session musician. He's playing a particular role in Morrissey's band. And as for the "This Charming Man" argument, if Morrissey had wanted the trademark lead that Johnny played included in the 2009 live version, he would have asked for either Boz or Jesse to play it. All this dross that it wasn't played because Jesse couldn't play it is utter bullshit. Marr was a guitar genius because he WROTE those lines, not because he played them -- there's a difference. For any guitarist, if you take a look at most every Smiths' guitar line (bar perhaps "Girl Afraid," because Johnny had originally written that for piano and turned it into a strange guitar-vamp piece), they ALL make sense from a perspective of typical pop/rock major and minor scales. The lead to "Ask" is arguably the same difficulty as "This Charming Man," and Jesse played that -- whether or not you liked his STYLE while playing it is a different question, but again, I haven't heard legitimate evidence of missed notes, wrong keys, or off tempos on any piece. If any of you can show me this, I'll gladly reconsider my assertion. But until then, it's really all chalked down to style, which is purely subjective.

They were all naked on that single. And they weren't 'slow-dancing', they were waltzing. Got to love rumours huh? Jesse isn't gay.

I didn't see him groping Boz's tit. You sure it wasn't the Fox Trot?

He's SO gay.

There's a lot of straight guys out there that bend a little bit for the Man...

Back
Top Bottom