Starsuckers - the film we were meant to be in!

Virgil Tracy

Good Evening West 'am!
If you cast your minds back to the 02 wireless gig last year we had a (very successful) meet up. In addition to everyone having a good time many of you were filmed for a documentary about fandom - well that documentary has been turned into a movie - Starsuckers - and will be shown for the first time at the London Film Festival.

I stayed in touch with one of the team (dare I say we even become friends) and at the moment we haven't made the final cut so it's not looking good:(. The excuse given is that "Morrissey is too much of a legitimate icon" which I guess is a compliment. However I am willing to try and wrestle the footage of us from the cutting room floor but don't want to post it on here unless everyone who was filmed is happy for me to stick it on you tube?

No promises but he who dares - wins!

Thanks for the updates.

The film will be shown at Vue 5

28th October 20:30
29th October 13:00

LFF programme page 38 has a brief review of the film by Michael Hayden:
The latest film from Chris Atkins the BAFTA nominated director of the Blair-baiting documentary Taking Liberties, takes on the celebrity-obsessed media, pulling down its wizard's curtain to reveal the machinations and deceit involved in selling the notion that fame comes with credibility, money and power as its natural accessaries.
While providing a clever psychosocial analysis of why stardom is seen as attractive and even necessary.
Starsuckers probes various aspects of celebrity culture with a scathing wit and recognition for their children to the established public figures who use their position to gain political influence. Illustrating how truth has become devalued by the modern news media, Atkins gets to reveals some immoral, corrupt and illegal practices employed by some of the biggest names in the industry, who collect, create or bury stories for a price.
In using a combination of exclusive footage, real-life stories, animation and undercover reportage, Atkins delivers an intelligent, revealatory polemic for our time.

Last edited:
Re: Starsuckers

I'm glad I didn't waste my time to talk to them because they actually misled many users.

I know what you mean, but it was deliberate or malicious. I think they tried to make a documentary about the role that famous people play in our lives and there just wasn't enough there, in terms of depth or nutters, to make it worthwhile. So they have tried something different which is fair enough.

Ghost - I would have brought you a pint if I had known, was itching for a chorus of Bubbles that day.

I know what you mean, but it was deliberate or malicious. I think they tried to make a documentary about the role that famous people play in our lives and there just wasn't enough there, in terms of depth or nutters, to make it worthwhile. So they have tried something different which is fair enough.

Ghost - I would have brought you a pint if I had known, was itching for a chorus of Bubbles that day.

I don't intend to criticise them, but earlier South Bank Show disappointed us, I was rather sceptical.

I know what you mean, but it was deliberate or malicious.

Don't you mean it wasn't deliberate or malicious? ;)

I'm reading Michael Palin's second set of diaries at the moment, and reading that really gives you a good idea of how films change as they're being filmed. I personally think interviews with fans about 'stars' sounds a little dull, so I'm glad they've altered the subject matter.

And vice-versa, mate.

Still running?

Only away from things.

Got a couple of marathons planned for next year but don't worry not for charity. We going to get the pleasure of your company in E13 this season?

Last edited:

The director Chris Atkins is on BBC London Radio's Robert Elms show (this week Gary Crowley is hosting the show).

Pity none of us were invited to London Film Festival screenings and tomorrow's Q&A at Curzon Soho. :(

I have had it on good authority that the Morrissey footage will make the DVD extra’s, I will keep the campaign going and hopefully get the footage regardless, but either way looks like we might get to see many members of this forum pissed and talking about Morrissey after all :D

we're in the extras!!!

Yep - I kid you not - order yourself a copy of the Starsuckers DVD and check out the extras, all your Solo hero's are on there, Jukebox, Kitty, Alma, Paulc to name but a few.

Someone smarter than me will be able to upload it.

Thank me later:thumb:

Can someone PM Kewpie - I 'ave to go and knock on doors, of yeah.....Vote Labour!!

Good christ I was interviewed. I hope I was removed or something haha

Back
Top Bottom