Statement by morrissey in hot press on queen's visit to ireland

It's not about Morrissey being illogical. That is a given. I don't actually think he's stupid either. The truth is more boring than what his statement seems to imply he believes regarding the queen's refusal to dismiss the PM. If he really wrote a factual analysis of the situation it would get a lot less attention. He's a pop star. We don't vote for him except in sales and he's already polarized everyone so he's got nothing to lose by heaping it on the queen. Maybe he meant just that the Queen ought to have shown some feelings over the situation.

It really is strange how she gets to retreat from that, never address issues, rarely speak to the public.

She's the decrepit poster child for a secret society whose driven around in bullet proof cars while we wonder what's in her purse. The truth is she's probably all but dead as a person with no real opinions on anything. I just hope she's nice to the corgis. They probably have more to say about state affairs then she, if only someone in that big ol' house knew how to read them. :p

A cursory Google search indicates he hasn't really caused much of a furore with his comments either.

Love Morrissey but he doesn't half come out with some shite. I know that's part of his charm but can you imagine him in charge on the country, any country?

It's not about Morrissey being illogical. That is a given. I don't actually think he's stupid either. The truth is more boring than what his statement seems to imply he believes regarding the queen's refusal to dismiss the PM. If he really wrote a factual analysis of the situation it would get a lot less attention. He's a pop star. We don't vote for him except in sales and he's already polarized everyone so he's got nothing to lose by heaping it on the queen. Maybe he meant just that the Queen ought to have shown some feelings over the situation.

It really is strange how she gets to retreat from that, never address issues, rarely speak to the public.

Well obviously she wouldn't comment on any political issue. Come on man. Or are we not supposed to have reasoned discussion on here?

I wonder if the man will sing this song on the upcoming tour:

Could you go a chicken supper, Bobby Sands?
Could you go a chicken supper, you dirty fenian f***er!!!!!!!!!!!
Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands???

A lovely little ditty I'm sure you'll agree...

hahahaha, do you know you have made many stuck up vegan Morrissey lovers very unhappy by writing that.....as for me, I laughed! Rock On Troll! :D

back on topic....Queen Is Dead for next tour prehaps?? Maybe this is a tiny hint??

Well obviously she wouldn't comment on any political issue. Come on man. Or are we not supposed to have reasoned discussion on here?

To me, it's not obvious that she wouldn't comment on a political issue. I don't understand her purpose.

Morrissey comments that the queen's ruling of England is similar to that of dictators in other countries.
Can someone explain to me what political power the royal family/queen has, and how it is used?

Disgusting.

Any chance a moderator can remove that vile post ?

It would have been appropriate (I think) to have deleted that offensive post - but now others have quoted it, it gets difficult.

Dave

Morrissey comments that the queen's ruling of England is similar to that of dictators in other countries.
Can someone explain to me what political power the royal family/queen has, and how it is used?

It's easy to dismiss her role as just being the face on the stamps... however, the UK is a Constitutional Monarchy. Basically, the Queen is Head of State but the ability to make and pass legislation lies with an elected Parliament. Her role in legislation is largely ceremonial these days - opening parliament, inviting the PM round for tea once a week to see what he's up to.

There is a website for the royal family http://www.royal.gov.uk/ that includes a section on her role with government http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/QueenandGovernment/QueenandGovernment.aspx

I think that when she finally pops her clogs (which could be any day now if the dissidents get their way, or could be another 20 years away, it would be a good time to move on and form a republic... wishful thinking...

Dave

It's easy to dismiss her role as just being the face on the stamps....

I think that when she finally pops her clogs (which could be any day now if the dissidents get their way, or could be another 20 years away, it would be a good time to move on and form a republic... wishful thinking...

Dave

windowlicking!

Don't think dear ol Queen will shift off this mortal coil anytime soon. Anyone that wealthy whoprobably has servants to wipe the Windsor posterior free of foie gras, caviar and Big Macs is going to live till 130. Even Moz won't be able to deride her place in the Guinness Book Of Records then.

Personally I point the finger of blame at that f***ing witch Thatcher and hope that when she pops her clogs we get a month long national holiday, oh and a state funeral so I can spit on her corpse

Last edited:
I wonder if the man will sing this song on the upcoming tour:

Could you go a chicken supper, you dirty fenian f***er!!!!!!!!!!!
Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands???

A lovely little ditty I'm sure you'll agree...

I prefer this song;

Some say the devil is dead,the devil is dead,the devil is dead ;
Some say the devil is dead and buried in Killarney;
More would say he rose again, more would say he rose again;
More would say he rose again and joined the british army.

OR maybe:
Ooh aah up the 'RA!
Ooh aah up the 'RA!

I prefer this song;

Some say the devil is dead,the devil is dead,the devil is dead ;
Some say the devil is dead and buried in Killarney;
More would say he rose again, more would say he rose again;
More would say he rose again and joined the british army.

OR maybe:
Ooh aah up the 'RA!
Ooh aah up the 'RA!

How about this one...

British soldier pointing a gun
And I'm only trying to post a letter

Here is some info (from wikipedia) that I believe is relevant to Morrissey's claims about the monarch's power:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Prerogative_in_the_United_Kingdom

Foreign affairs

The Royal Prerogative is in much use in the realm of foreign affairs. It is the monarch who recognises foreign states (although several statutes regulate the immunities enjoyed by their heads and diplomatic representatives), issues declarations of war and peace, and forms international treaties. The monarch also has the power to annex territory, as was done in 1955 with the island of Rockall. Once territory has been annexed, the monarch has complete discretion as to what extent it will take over the former government's liabilities; this was confirmed in West Rand Central Gold Mining Company v The King. The monarch also has the power to alter British territorial waters and cede territory. Her freedom to do this in reality rather than theory is doubtful, in that it would involve depriving British citizens of their nationality and rights. When the island of Heligoland was ceded to Germany in 1890, Parliamentary approval was first sought.[22] The monarch can also regulate colonies and dependent territories by exercising the prerogative through Orders-in-Council. The courts have long fought with the monarch's use of this power; in R (Bancoult) v Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs (No 2),[23] the Court of Appeal ruled that using Orders-in-Council to frustrate judicial rulings was an unlawful abuse of power, although this was later overturned.[24]

Passports are also regulated by the prerogative, although there are statutory grounds. Under the common law, citizens have the right to freely leave and enter the United Kingdom. In R v Foreign Secretary ex parte Everett, the courts held that it was their right to review situations where a British citizen has been granted or withheld a passport. The writ of ne exeat regno is also used to prevent a person leaving the country. The right to form treaties is a disputed prerogative power; under Blackstone's definition, a prerogative power must be one unique to the monarch. However, because a treaty cannot interface with United Kingdom law without an enabling Act of Parliament (such as the European Communities Act 1972), the monarch alone cannot bring one into force.[25]

I can understand why Hot Press would approach Moz to write about the Queen on the eve of her visit to Ireland, but unless they gave him carte blanche I can't understand why they'd commission such a straight ahead, on-the-nose political rant.

I don't usually get into could've been or should've been but it would've been so much more interesting if Morrissey weaved together his feelings about the Queen/Ireland/Sands in the context of how he felt at the time, what music he was listening to -- the Steven Morrissey of 1981, basically.

I agree. Shameful.

P.

What is most shameful of all is that Morrissey has alligned himself with the terrorist Bobby Sands, and the blood drenched terror gang he was a member of.

Their list of atrocities include the following

Birmingham Pub Bombing - 21 people killed, 182 injured
Enniskillen boming - 11 murdered at a War Memorial
Omagh boming - 29 murdered, 220 injured

In total they were responsible for the deaths of 1800 people.

It's also worth recalling that the IRA collaberated with those lovers of peace and democracy the Nazis during the 2nd World War

If there is a hell, then Bobby Sands rots in it

What is most shameful of all is that Morrissey has alligned himself with the terrorist Bobby Sands, and the blood drenched terror gang he was a member of.

In total they were responsible for the deaths of 1800 people

It's also worth recalling that the IRA collaberated with those lovers of peace and democracy the Nazis during the 2nd World War

How many innocent people has the british army maimed and murdered??? All over the world??
Bobby Sands RIP

In total they were responsible for the deaths of 1800 people.

Malarkey. Sands was convicted on a charge of weapons possession, twice. If the courts didn't have enough evidence to convict him of the above, then where did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom