Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Plus skinny-bot:

Just saw LTW interviewing Dave Haslam (no Morrissey mentions).
Which prompted me to finally get round to reading his "Manchester, England : the story of the pop cult city".
There's too many Morrissey & Smiths references to list.
If anyone wants a .mobi or .epub - pm me.
Regards,
FWD.

Eg:
"Morrissey’s nonconformist attitudes and his willingness to articulate melancholia won over a huge constituency of music listeners. The music made a very personal appeal, something that reflected grimness, violence, loneliness. All this was communicated with a welcoming, quirky lightness of touch which Johnny Marr brought to the group. Often in pop music there is talk of ‘manufactured’ groups, but Morrissey and Marr were an unmanufacturable creative combination, a volatile alliance; like an early version of Liam and Noel."

Which prompted me to finally get round to reading his "Manchester, England : the story of the pop cult city".
Regards,
FWD.

Eg:
"Morrissey’s nonconformist attitudes and his willingness to articulate melancholia won over a huge constituency of music listeners. The music made a very personal appeal, something that reflected grimness, violence, loneliness. All this was communicated with a welcoming, quirky lightness of touch which Johnny Marr brought to the group. Often in pop music there is talk of ‘manufactured’ groups, but Morrissey and Marr were an unmanufacturable creative combination, a volatile alliance; like an early version of Liam and Noel."

As long as it's exactly the same 'nonconformism' as Dave then everything is peachy. It's not nonconformism per se that Dave finds so winning, it's the nonconformism that conforms comfortably with his own self-professed n-c.
"Quirky" isn't a word í would ever personally pluck out to describe Johnny's touch.
And the Gallagher thing is just lazy and slack.

í'll take 3 copies ;)

Regards,
FWD.

Eg:
"Morrissey’s nonconformist attitudes and his willingness to articulate melancholia won over a huge constituency of music listeners. The music made a very personal appeal, something that reflected grimness, violence, loneliness. All this was communicated with a welcoming, quirky lightness of touch which Johnny Mrarr brought to the group. Often in pop music there is talk of ‘manufactured’ groups, but Morrissey and Marr were an unmanufacturable creative combination, a volatile alliance; like an early version of Liam and Noel."

So brothers can be lovers?

(I'd love a digital version. I bought the paperback a while ago but it would be great to have a "searchable" version 🙂)

Glad Jaime is doing better now.

í love that notion of a memory palace.

The Boxers Winter '95 tour would be in mine too. From the Barrowlands to Drury Lane, all human life was there. And that first play of "Shoplifters of the World Unite" would be in the ten-inch-titanium-gilded safe, hidden in the priest hole, behind the Gainsborough Jake portrait, in my Palace...

Glad Jaime is doing better now.

í love that notion of a memory palace.

The Boxers Winter '95 tour would be in mine too. From the Barrowlands to Drury Lane, all human life was there. And that first play of "Shoplifters of the World Unite" would be in the ten-inch-titanium-gilded safe, hidden in the priest hole, behind the Gainsborough Jake portrait, in my Palace...

I will never not think of Hannibal Lecter when reading the term "memory palace", but yours and Jaime's both sound nicer.

Morrissey singing Satan Rejected My Soul question on Ken Bruce Popmaster this morning, contestant got title wrong by answering that title was Handsome Devil!

Morrissey singing Satan Rejected My Soul question on Ken Bruce Popmaster this morning, contestant got title wrong by answering that title was Handsome Devil!
What was the name of the contestant...skinny?
I can just imagine the fame seeker trying to get on Popmaster...:rolleyes:...and failing spectacularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This popped up. It's Morrissey being ignored by a BBC telly presenter, Saturday 25th August 1984...

Cute, eh?

From a godawful sounding '80s music marathon thing that apparently BBC2 used to put on every summer {to compete with MTV?!} in the mid-80s.
í have zero recollection of these pop marathons. í am pretty sure that this would not have been broadcast on BBC Scotland as it would have contravened the Jimmy Shand Directive. í could be wrong.

But here is Mark Ellen actually talking to Moz, in appalling quality...

Morrissey was stuck on telephonist duties, while Aztec Camera, The Cure etc were getting major footage elsewhere amongst the fun ~

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/29ac1f1bf34044368ea81fa0469a8cc1

Pop kids could dial their parent's telephones and vote for which videos/docs/concerts to see. All totally un-rigged í'm sure.

Two years later, while The Housemartins, Echo and the Bunnymen and Bragg were being shown in waking hours, the Beeb tucked The Smiths/Jarman short film second to last on the bill, at 04:30 AM. Legends eh?

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1986-09-20

This popped up. It's Morrissey being ignored by a BBC telly presenter, Saturday 25th August 1984...

Cute, eh?

From a godawful sounding '80s music marathon thing that apparently BBC2 used to put on every summer {to compete with MTV?!} in the mid-80s.
í have zero recollection of these pop marathons. í am pretty sure that this would not have been broadcast on BBC Scotland as it would have contravened the Jimmy Shand Directive. í could be wrong.

Morrissey was stuck on telephonist duties, while Aztec Camera, The Cure etc were getting major footage elsewhere amongst the fun ~

Pop kids could dial their parent's telephones and vote for which videos/docs/concerts to see. All totally un-rigged í'm sure.

Two years later, while The Housemartins, Echo and the Bunnymen and Bragg were being shown in waking hours, the Beeb tucked The Smiths/Jarman short film second to last on the bill, at 04:30 AM. Legends eh?

Ach, the wee soul.

I love old shows where Naff & Cool collide & look embarrassed.

Ach, the wee soul.

I love old shows where Naff & Cool collide & look embarrassed.

The last great era where Light Entertainment & Pop Culture combined. All gone now. Everybody is Clever Nowadays...

Cute, eh?

His smile in that second clip can melt icebergs.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom