Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Don't remember seeing this before, and í'm pretty sure that í would, as it's written by my most favourite magazine writer, formerly of 'Smash Hits ', 'The Face ', 'Details ', 'Rolling Stone ' and now 'GQ ' {US} ~ Chris Heath.
Sadly, or happily, he never got to properly interview Morrissey {yet}, think he may have done a wee gobbet in ver 'Hits' back in the day. He is/was a fan. Wrote an interesting review of 'Autobiography '. But a close encounter with Prime Moz would have been the stuff of {my} dreams.

Anyway, this is a piece about The Smiths & fashion. And no, í don't remember what the hell 'normcore' was either...

https://www.gq.com/story/the-smiths-style-inspiration

ps ~ Never seen this shot before {1984?}

View attachment 69306

Has more than a hint of 'Mr Morrissey ~ the newly-arrived student geography teacher ~ has unexpectedly been left in charge of the Remedial Class Outing. Seen here having pots of fun with Jolly Johnny, Thick Mick & Handy Andy'...?

Gosh, there's a lot to think about in this piece. (At least for me.) A good read.

So much of what he describes as rather obscure is an integral part of 'The Smiths puzzle' ... to me.

But anyway... while I brood over this article, here are a couple more shots of Our Love in glasses and striking houndstooth from the same shoot...

TheSmiths.jpg

MorrisseyHoundstooth.jpg
MorrisseyHoundstoooth3.jpg

Last edited:

THE SMITHS - BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN

The image of the introspective intellectual with romantic leanings was a character played out in many a Smiths’ lyric. Perhaps none more so than the song BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN.

It’s title was inspired by the tabloid press’s devotion to ramping up every activity Morrissey undertook or every quote into something of a scandal: "The press are still not convinced. We're still at the stage where if I rescued a kitten from drowning they'd say, "Morrissey Mauls Kitten's Body". So what can you do?"

Littered with references alluding to martyrdom, Morrissey first compares his plight to that of Joan of Arc, sentenced to death and burned at the stake, before humorously ridiculing the image, "her Walkman/hearing aid started to melt".

The original mix had Kirsty MacColl on backing vocals but the singer’s harmonies were dropped and instead she was invited back on the following year’s ‘Ask’ sessions. The final mix carried a ‘chipmunk’-like vocal created by feeding Morrissey's voice through an electronic harmoniser. The 'backing vocals' were credited to 'Ann Coates' (a pun on the Ancoats district of Manchester).

The video is The Smiths’ performance of BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN on The Old Grey Whistle Test featuring Craig Gannon on second guitar and the legendary introduction from Andy Kershaw.

"Video of me asking Boy George about Morrissey, excuse the buffering in the video"

Facebook group share:

FB_IMG_1615114392261.jpg

Probably a repeat, but meh.

And they missed the opportunity to use #AxeTheMonarchy smh

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom