Strangest "art"?

I have done painting, drawing and photography for many years but am now moving on to more concept based work.

Last year I studied Performance Design at university (the design/analysis of performative and cultural events) and our graduation project was an interactive art event. Influenced by people like Olafur Eliasson and Nicolas Bourriaud (current art students will know who they are, I'm sure) we treated the audience as participants rather than passive viewers and invited them to take part in the creation of the installations.
There were eight different rooms with one installation in each. One of them was a room where there was a burkha and a person with a polaroid camera and participants - men and women - could try on the burkha and have their picture taken. The pictures were put in a big frame on the wall which filled up during the evening. Some people bought their photos.
In another room it was completely dark, apart from a blinking UV light and people were invited to draw on the walls with UV markers. That one was very popular. But the best idea, I think, was the room where there was nothing, except a pair of binoculars by the window. When people looked through the window they would see things that we had put up in the street outside, like lots of helium balloons and signs with little messages. Unfortunately it was a little too dark for it to work properly.

My next project will take the form of a global non-profit organization, but that is top secret.

A friend from uni told me about the coolest intervention art project he and his friend did in Copenhagen. They created a document that looked exactly like an official document from the council, that said something like "You have left you car/house/bicycle unused for a period of time, and we therefore assume that you don't want it anymore. The Department of Public Use of Private Property (or something like that) will confiskate your car/house/bicycle in four days. If you have any objections to this, please call one of these numbers" - and then they had put the numbers to three different charity lines, where you donate money by phoning up. They placed these notes on a number of expensive cars, houses and bicycles around the city.

The funniest thing about it was that it was mentioned on the local news and they warned people of the "scammers trying to trick money out of people". They even had people from the charity organisations say that if anybody had unwillingly donated money to them, they would, of course, pay them back - "and we have absolutely nothing to do with this!" But the thing is, when you phone those charity lines they always say at the beginning what it is, and people have plenty of time to hang up if they don't want to donate. It was so clearly a joke/happening, but it was just treated like a scam. People have no sense of humour!

I once cut my mouth really badly. I decided to collect the blood and paint with it. I painted a stylized face with a really badly cut mouth. :)

That was in college. I got an A on that painting, but my professor didn't want to touch it. Heh.

Back
Top Bottom