Super Furry Animals cover The Smiths’ ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’ - NME

Listen to Super Furry Animals cover The Smiths’ ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’ - NME
Jun 19, 2017

Super Furry Animals have released a cover of ‘The Boy With The Thorn In His Side’ – and it couldn’t be any more different from the seminal Smiths track.

The Welsh band are gearing up to re-release 1997 album ‘Radiator’ – and are releasing a whole load of bonus material to go with it.

As part of this, they’re including their extremely unique cover of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side – which was initially recorded by the band for the cover CD of a French music magazine.

Describing the track, frontman Gruff Rhys said: “We wanted to translate the lyrics of the Smiths track into French, so I spoke to a French friend of mine, who was actually working in Manchester, hence the half-French, half-Mancunian accent on the spoken introduction.

“It didn’t quite work out that way, although are elements of the translation on it if you listen carefully, so what we have instead is an instrumental homage. I can’t remember why it didn’t get released, but am glad it hasn’t been lost forever and Furries, perhaps even Smiths fans, can now make their mind up on how it compares to the original.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Could have called it anything and not had to pay royalties.

"Anything" would do fine as a title but then of course the Smiths-connection as such would only be there if you listened to it, maybe.
Don't know about the royalties, yes for the lyrics if they are not there but even if the music would slightly resemble any accord schemes from that of the original song the lawyers have a case.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom