Surreptious (possible) knob references/gags by Morrissey

Well...this is all very interesting but I'm going to go masturbate. Later losers. :D

Download something
Useful, or useless
Because I'm lying here
Wide to receive
Almost anything
You'd care to give
And I don't
Get along with myself
And I'm not too keen
On anyone else
Turn on, plug in
Then just walk away
Unlock, process
And then just go
And I've never felt quite so alone
As I do right now

I'm lying here
Wide to receive
Almost anything
You'd care to leave
Wide, wide, wide
Wide, wide, wide
Wide, wide
Wide, wide
Wide, wide, wide, wide
Wide, wide, wide, wide
Wide, wide, wide, wide

- Wide to Receive

Beautiful song. :'(

'Little Man, What Now?' is obviously a song about a not-very-well-endowed chap.

He thinks he got the whole world in his hands
Stood at the urinal
He thinks he got the whole world in his hands
And I'm gonna ... kill him !

- Boy Racer

There's obviously something very sensual/sexual about the way Morrissey writes the intermingling of love and violence in First of the Gang to Die.

Hector was the first of the gang
With a gun in his hand
And the bullet in his gullet

The connection between love and what's in his hands is made explicit in the end with the repeated refrain:

He stole all hearts away

It sounds like he's finishing having a piss at the beginning of 'A Swallow On My Neck'.

I would punch a baby in the face to watch him pee. Okay I wouldn't really but that's a weird thing on my bucket list. :p

(I think it's a drink being poured at a bar at the beginning, you can hear the shot glass slam down.)

I would punch a baby in the face to watch him pee. Okay I wouldn't really but that's a weird thing on my bucket list. :p
(I think it's a drink being poured at a bar at the beginning, you can hear the shot glass slam down.)

Yes, OK, just listened again and your explanation seems obvious now. Can't believe I've been thinking of him jet-washing the porcelain every time I've played this song. (I bet it's not a jet these days, more a series of trickles). :lbf:

i always took alabaster for a name. the boy being pushed down by the cop, "a push and its over, alabaster crashes down".

That's a great discussion. It's interesting that the "only got two hands" line in What Difference Does It Make? seemed so troublesome, though. I've always thought that it made sense in a situation where a) someone has an interest in more than one kind of sexual arrangement (not enough hands to go round), and b) a man is kind of bi- but essentially homosexual, though still sort of attracted to women, in which case "only got two hands" is not about him having too few hands but rather about him only being able to offer hands and not penis (difficulty getting it up with women?). This may seem like reading too much into it, but it really makes sense in terms of that discussion of the song.

I still think those "Let the Right One Slip In" condoms were one of the best pieces of tour merchandise I've ever seen. I wish I'd bought more than one.

Back
Top Bottom